which 7 seater car should we get?

(92 Posts)
lizzie9442 Tue 02-Dec-08 19:33:03

My husband and I have 3 children and I am pregnant with our fourth. We are looking to purchase a car with 7 seats but have no idea where to begin. Does anyone have any recommendations?

SugaryTits Tue 02-Dec-08 19:36:25

I have a Ford Galaxy and am really happy with it. Have a look on what car They have reviews and pointers on which models to look for or avoid. Also go and try some cars, I really wanted a Renault Grand Espace but got in one and hated it!

ShrinkingViolet Tue 02-Dec-08 19:42:52

I have a Citroen C8 whcih has 7 proper seats (don't like "fold down" ones in the very back), and most importantly, slidey rear doors. Supermarket carparks are a nightmare without slidey doors! Becasue it's van based, the handbrake is at the right hadn side of the drivers seat and the gear lever is dashboard mounted, meaning you have a nice space between the front two seats to put bags etc. Plus it's possible if you are skinny unlike me to get from the front to the back to deal with a crying baby without going outside into the cold and wet.

lockets may see this herself in a minute, but iun case she doesn't, she has the renault grand scenic and its LOVELY!
would def get one myself if i needed it

countingto10 Tue 02-Dec-08 19:44:06

I've got a Citroen C8, diesel engine. It's got sliding doors which are a godsend in a multi storey. They operate remotely too.

Ditto looking at What Car. Don't get a Grand Voygeur (sp?), they crumple on impact apparently. My brother's a mechanic so we listened to him and got a good price and cashback on the C8.

TheSeriousSanta Tue 02-Dec-08 19:44:50

I have an X5 and it's lovely. Big seats etc., but it is a large car and can be difficult to park...

surreylady Tue 02-Dec-08 19:56:31

Have C8 - our experience - Poor quality build only surpassed by even poorer quality service from Citroen - but it was good value pricewise compared to others in the category we looked at - as long as you are happy for the dealer to decline to honour the warranty. But rest assured as apparently the failure to start and random electrical faults including returning to the car to find all the doors have opened and being locked inside with 3 small children when the car closes down electrically are in fact not failures on the car but rather down to us not driving it on a regular enough basis.....

seeker Tue 02-Dec-08 19:58:01

Mazda Bongo!

onthewarpath Tue 02-Dec-08 19:58:43

We have a Toyota Lucida, 8 seater. I think it is the equivalent of a Toyota Previa but Japan import. I do love it (although I do not drive) there is a lot of space , even when all the seats are up ( space to put reasonnable holiday luggage without taking a seat out).

Cannot give you anymore details DH away for a few days. If you still need more on this one I will get back to the thread end of decembre If not too late for you?

Lockets Tue 02-Dec-08 20:02:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

countingto10 Tue 02-Dec-08 20:24:30

surreylady, mine went a bid haywire when DS4 got hold of the key. Plus it was doing some other random things with the deadlocking etc. My brother said what do you expect, it's french grin. He ended up disconnecting the battery to reset the system - it's been fine since. Fortunately, because brother has his own (independent) garage I don't have to deal with main dealers for services etc. The only problem I had that needed the warranty was the tailgate handle "pealing" which was a manufacturing fault and they dealt with without any hassle.

BusyBeeWithThree Tue 02-Dec-08 20:27:05

I have a 6 seater Honda FRV. I love it as it has 6 "proper" seats, it doesn't look to big and I always have a proper boot for all my crap stuff grin

lindenlass Wed 03-Dec-08 21:06:52

We're very happy with our old-style galaxy. The down sides are the weight of hte seats to get them in and out of the car, but I still prefer proper seats to fold down ones. At the moment we have two in the boot and two in the middle at the far sides as our arrangement and one seat in the shed,a nd it's lovelyt o be able to climb right in to get everyone strapped in, or to get them all dressed up in coats etc. before going out into the cold. I can make sure theyr'e all ready to leave the car at hte same time (they're monkeys for taking their shoes off in the car!) so I don't have any children standing unattended on the pavement waiting foranyone else. It's diesel - don't bother with petrol - far too expensive for a big car!

sorkycake Wed 03-Dec-08 21:16:54

We have the old style galaxy, which is bigger than the new one apparently. I absolutely love it!

We have the same seating arrangement as Lindenlass and are expecting no4 in 10 weeks or so.

Ours is petrol but is working out not too bad on fuel atm. Averaging about 30mpg town, 45mpg out of town.

I really wanted a CGV but the NCAP said I would be decapitated in the event of a head on collision so I decided not too.

Btw the Galaxy, Sharan & Alhambra are all exactly the same car, just different interiors. My FIL works for Ford (another reason for the Galaxy)

If you're buying second-hand get the best spec/model you can.

Sidge Wed 03-Dec-08 21:24:05

We have a Ford S-Max and love it, but we only have 3 children and so only need the 2 extra seats occasionally. They are fold down seats, and you couldn't really put a child seat in them (nothing more than a booster anyway).

If you have an older child that can sit in the back I would recommend it - it's a fantastic drive and for a 'smaller' 7 seater I find it really roomy.

I had a Kia Sedona as a courtesy car recently - loved the size, spaciousness and sliding doors but found it sluggish on the motorway despite a 2.9 litre engine, but then those electric sliding doors must really add some weight.

sorkycake Wed 03-Dec-08 21:28:26

I don't think Zafira's are very big at all, would avoid them like the plague.

What's your budget? Where will you be mostly using the car?
How old are the kiddies? What's important to you in a car?

barbiehouse Wed 03-Dec-08 21:29:16

got a sharan, and the built in child seats are v useful if you have visitors

SquiffyHock Wed 03-Dec-08 21:32:48

The new Chrysler is much better on safety - they are hoping to score 5 on Ncap, we are waiting for the results before we buy but it is fab.

sorkycake Wed 03-Dec-08 21:34:54

hmm I'm not sure it's as nice a style as the old one. It looked a bit less sleek, more boxy iyswim. Gorgeous inside though

We did look at the XC90, but opted for 'no repair bills' with a Galaxy.

Bubble99 Wed 03-Dec-08 21:36:30

We've got a Voyager diesel. Very happy with it, lots of room, sliding doors etc.

My cousin in the states had a crash in one and it was solid. We took that as a good thing. Well, not good.... but YKWIM.

NotanOtter Wed 03-Dec-08 21:42:52

wow seeker impressed

we have vw transporter

We have a VW Touran and I love it but I only have 3 kids so only need back seats occasionally. I wouldn't get it if I had to use them all the time.

We used to have a Ford Galaxy and it was the worst car we've ever owned. Loved the space/seats etc. there was room for everything in there BUT it was SO unreliable and cost us a small fortune in less than 18mths (£5000 in repairs) on a low mileage diesel. Since then Galaxy was rated the worst MPV for reliability/faults in an owner's review.

I know the Kia Sedona's are good, have sliding doors and come with a 7 year warranty- so even if youu buy one that's 2-3 years old you still have years left on the warranty!

designergirl Fri 05-Dec-08 21:08:29

We have a renault scenic dynamique and we love it. It's spacious, but not as big as some of the others so easier to manoevre,and it got 5 stars in the eurocap or sth, to do with safety anyway.It's got loads of nice fatures for ids, like fold down tables at the back, cubby holes everywhere and a mirror to see your kids behind you.

dreamingofagreenlawnchristmas Sat 13-Dec-08 18:35:16

I have a Touran and hate it - the use of space is fantastic, but its plasticky inside and has been back to the dealer 6 times in 2 years with faults which never seem to be fixed (even though bought from new). There always seems to be something creaking and jiggling away in there. Very similar to my old VW Polo and not in a good way.

Watching this with interest as I need a new 5/7 seater (must have room for 3 car seats on the second row)! Looking at a Mazda 5 or a Toyota Verso - any views?

We have an X5 and love it, but my DSs are older: 16,15,13 & 10, so I don't need babyseats and they can get themselves in & out. They love the DVD players in the backs of the seats in front.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now