Is it really silly to buy a mini?

(14 Posts)
Amaya123 Wed 07-Sep-16 09:03:00

I have a 2.5 year old and need to swap cars I'm currently driving a Ford KA so use to not having a big car, I have always fancied a mini? Could it work? or am I being stupid even considering it? Thoughts?

UmbongoUnchained Wed 07-Sep-16 09:04:42

I love my mini! I have one for pootling around and a Range Rover for Bugger journeys. Providing he's not in a pram anymore you should be fine. I think only quinny fits. I have a countryman. Love it!

UmbongoUnchained Wed 07-Sep-16 09:05:44

I have a 2 year old btw and another one on the way.

Graceflorrick Wed 07-Sep-16 09:10:54

Check their safety score on euro ncap.

browneyedgirll Wed 07-Sep-16 09:13:11

I brought one in October last year, I'd wanted one for ages, my dc's are 8 & 3.... I sold it last month - I loved it to drive & nip around in but practically it was hard work. The boot is so small, if one DS had a friend after school we were all bundling in with school bags etc. Real pain for shopping if I had kids with me. I still look longingly at them when they drive passed! A bigger style one, countryman etc. would work better

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 07-Sep-16 09:34:10

We got rid of our normal Mini because getting pram plus DCs in was a PITA without rear doors and a decent boot. We now have two Mini Countrymen and they're brilliant.

cathyandclare Wed 07-Sep-16 09:36:26

I love mine, if I changed it I think I'd go for the four door Cooper even though they're not as cute.

Amaya123 Wed 07-Sep-16 09:43:48

I only have the one child (and dont plan on having any more) and literally use the car for going to and from work - if going on longer journey I do have an option to use a bigger car!! Im getting very tempted now!

AmyBecker Wed 07-Sep-16 15:33:12

Not at all!

Which MINI you looking into, Cooper or something bigger?

For the booster seat it's probably easiest going for the 5 door and I'd say countryman would probably be easiest as you've got the space and it's not too much more than Cooper.

Should look into it if you're interested though! There's the list for all the options, www.carkeys.co.uk/mini/countryman/hatchback?76542rh

Plus if you give them a call, they should be able to help you out and book yourself a test drive smile

sycamore54321 Wed 07-Sep-16 15:43:44

I adored my Mini Cooper - it used to make my heart sing to look out at it on the driveway. I am of the school of thought of either buy a car that delights you, or buy the cheapest possible acceptable car, no point in spending lots of money on a car you don't love. I had mine until my baby was one. It was a bit of a wrestle getting the infant car seat in and out, not great for my back but I thought it worth it. I also had an enormous buggy so would need to take the wheels off or put it in the front passenger seat! You do need to think through practical things though, the boot really is beyond tiny so if you use your car for carting round loads of stuff and passengers, it may not be right for you.

I only sold mine because I was moving abroad. I got great resale for it, even though it was well over the years old. I think because I loved it so much, I took much better care of it than I would have a car I didn't feel so strongly about. It definitely is not the most practical choice for a car but practicality isn't everything and if you think the fun factor would be enough for you to overlook shortcomings, go for it.

I should also add it was a dream for parking, I used to fit into tight spots on busy city streets that other cars had to decline.

sycamore54321 Wed 07-Sep-16 15:45:54

Also it only has two seat belts in the rear, so you can't squeeze in another passenger even if they are willing to be cramped. So ask yourself how often you would need three in the back.

LoopyL0u80 Wed 12-Oct-16 10:36:46

Countryman is a great car, I have one! I got mine from Sytner mini in Canary wharf London, they were great I got a fantastic deal and the service was spot on. They even delivered the car to me so no need to venture into london

SchoolNightWine Wed 12-Oct-16 10:51:21

It's not silly to buy a mini at all!
Just buy accessories (prams, car seats, etc) to fit the car rather than the other way round. If you love the car you'll make it work. I bought my
Mini from new before kids came along and still have it 12 years later - kids are now 10 and 6 and we've managed fine:-)

UncomfortableBadger Sun 16-Oct-16 12:47:27

Having a similar conundrum here - in need of a new car to replace my much loved i10.

Test drove a new Audi A1 and loved it; didn't love the Mini Countryman in quite the same way on the test drive but the Countryman would be miles more practical for my countryside commute. I need a car that can cope properly in snow and mud on country lanes.

Those of you with Countrymen, did you fall in love with yours at first test drive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now