Thinking of replacing my ancient Toyota corolla

(36 Posts)
Dowser Wed 31-Aug-16 10:44:09

What with?
Love toyotas. I think they are immensely reliable cars.
This will be a second hand car.
Will be looking at something 5 years old. Mine is 15.
The Yaris and Aygo are too small.
Dh has an auris ...I don't love it. I drive it and it's a nice drive but I think you get moved about a lot.

I like a medium sized car and I really , really want a Toyota.
Wondering about an avensis.

Or a Kia ceed.
Mines going well, it just feels really heavy compared to the auris. It doesn't have air con, electric Windows or a CD player but she's a grand old girl.

Dowser Wed 31-Aug-16 10:55:23

Think I'm stuffed.
Only seems to be an auris. Prius , preview, emanate all too big.

Dowser Wed 31-Aug-16 10:55:57

Previa and emina...on autotrader

magicstar1 Wed 31-Aug-16 10:59:05

I have a 1999 Corolla....great car!

Would you not go for a newer Corolla?

Montysaurus Wed 31-Aug-16 11:04:33

I've got a 2003 Corolla. Amazing car! Totally reliable and still going strong. I'd buy a newer model Corolla too if it was me.

Tinklypoo Wed 31-Aug-16 11:07:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EssentialHummus Wed 31-Aug-16 11:11:09

Another vote for a newer Corolla - find one from the latest possible year of manufacture, with a higher spec. Would also consider importing one from Japan (see here) which may work out cost-effecitvely even taking import charges into account.

We have an angular 20 yo Mercedes that DP is itching to replace. We have sat in and test-driven loads of new cars, but they're all so...round. I can't be expected to navigate London's roads and park in what feels like a helium balloon.

MirabelleTree Wed 31-Aug-16 11:11:21

Honda Jazz is the only thing as reliable as our old Corolla.

SueDunome Wed 31-Aug-16 11:15:46

We're a Toyota family too. We used to have a Corolla and I loved it. We now have an Auris. Unfortunately, I don't think the Auris comes close to the Corolla and I don't think there's a current model that is comparable.

We also had a SAAB for a while; lovely car, but had problems with the catalytic converter because we didn't drive it on long journeys often enough. If you opt for SAAB, please bear in mind or don't get a diesel.

Dowser Wed 31-Aug-16 12:41:38

A www thanks for the help guys.
Yes I would consider a newer Corolla...mine us definitely old shape which I love
hadnt driven it for 6 weeks since driving my husbands auris. Just felt so weird.

Would love your thoughts on the auris Sue.
My exh got an emina a Japanese import. I would consider it. His steering wheel was in the right place for uk too.an import not an emina...too big.

Only me and dh mostly.
Will probably keep mine over winter. Then look seriously in spring. It only has about 70,000 on the clock. Bodywork good too. I paid £2,500 6 years ago I think it was.
It's got it's mot next month. Will see how it does
Dh had an r reg which he replaced with the auris.

Dowser Wed 31-Aug-16 12:52:07

Here's a question. Are you better getting a newer car...say 2006 Corolla with more mileage say 57,000 or an older one, there's a 2002 with 24,000 miles.

I've always been a bit unsure of this one.

Dowser Wed 31-Aug-16 12:53:51

Hummus, what do you mean by all so round. Which breeds I mean brands lol

EssentialHummus Wed 31-Aug-16 12:59:46

dowser - my car looks like this. When I'm in the driver's seat, I can see exactly where the car ends, front and back. In a newer car, the curves on all sides mean I can't see the end of the bonnet, front or back - it just seems to slope down forever.

It sounds trivial but it makes parking a PITA. I want straight lines, dammit!

PickAChew Wed 31-Aug-16 13:02:14

The avensis is a lovely car (we're on our second) but is long - like Mondeo long. Have a look at the verso and maybe the Rav 4 if you want something medium sized.

We want something shorter, next time, but there's anot enough leg and head room in the back of the auris for us and the verso is a little underpowered, so will possibly go for the Rav 4. Current avensis is only 5 years old, though, so hoping for a few more years and another 40-50 thousand miles out of it, yet!

PickAChew Wed 31-Aug-16 13:06:57

with an older car, you need to make sure the bodywork is in decent condition - our first avensis was 2001 and apart from having done 125K in it, bits were dropping off it where it had corroded underneath from salty roads.

Whether it's worth looking at would also depend on whether it had been constantly but lightly used, or had sat in a garage for the past 10 years!

EssentialHummus Wed 31-Aug-16 13:07:14

It is too late to add, "My car looks like this but with more dents "?

grin

insan1tyscartching Wed 31-Aug-16 13:14:51

We gave ds our Avensis, by the time it was scrapped it had done 200,000 miles on the clock and was a reliable old workhorse. We loved Trev the Toyota and would wholeheartedly recommend an Avensis. Trev always started first time and was brilliant in the snow.

Dowser Wed 31-Aug-16 13:22:33

Ah, I know what you mean hummus.
I think it's a newish Corolla then.
See how we go till next Spring ( and get the mot ) out of the way.
It's only my runaround although it has done a few long distances this year.

I like the Nissan Kube for its quirky look but maybe too big for me.

AnyTheWiser Wed 31-Aug-16 13:30:39

Wouldn't the verso be the right size?
Problem is all the secondhand ones I've seen are ex-taxis, with extraordinary mileages.

stayathomegardener Wed 31-Aug-16 13:39:27

1999 Toyota Corolla here Waves!
211,000 miles still going strong, it's the same age as DD.
Unhelpful post smile

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Wed 31-Aug-16 13:40:05

I've got a verso and I absolutely love it, it's the most comfortable car I've ever owned

magicstar1 Wed 31-Aug-16 13:44:31

stayathomegardener...we're at about 150,000.

I'm in Dublin, and there was a taxi driver here with a Corolla that had 500,000 miles on it. They run forever lol.

redannie118 Wed 31-Aug-16 13:49:48

We went from a Toyota to a suzuki. Super reliable and cost-effective, tax is only 30 a year and a full tank of desiel costs 35 and lasts 2 weeks and we drive everywhere (average 14 thousand miles per year)

EssentialHummus Wed 31-Aug-16 13:54:54

red - which model please? I rather like them so want to go that way if I have to give up mine.

redannie118 Wed 31-Aug-16 14:04:46

We have a 2010 splash but I think that maybe too small for you? It does seat me and Dh and our 3 teenagers but the boot is tiny. It's a 1.4 dsi engine 58 miles per gallon. From what I've heard all the suzuki are as good as ours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now