I'm thinking of buying a Honda Civic sport. Do I buy 2nd hand or go for a PCP type arrangement?

(6 Posts)
Oh2beatsea Sun 28-Aug-16 17:54:12

I need a new car as I have a new job. My current car is an old Honda HRV which we've had 10 years and it's so reliable and has been unproblematic.
1) I like the look of the Civic - wondered if anyone had one and could tell me pros and cons? Are they good on fuel consumption?
2) Should I go for an older car bought with a car loan or go for a PCP deal that includes all the maintenance etc but you hand it back at the end of the 3 years?
I'm in a dilemma as what to do for the best!!
Any help gratefully received.

Oh2beatsea Mon 29-Aug-16 08:34:13

Any thoughts on the Honda?

Olivialoves Mon 29-Aug-16 08:40:19

firstly (and I'm not having a go, just intrigued!) why does getting a new job mean you need a new car? If your current car is reliable, why change?
I've no idea about the honda, but have just been through this dilemma myself. In the end I went for second hand.

Secondly, if you can afford to get a new car every three years, and be content that you are in fact 'renting' it, then do it. If you would rather buy something that you own, then buy second hand. There are pros and cons with either deal. You're restricted with mileage and damage with a PCP, and you'll only end up in this position again 3 years down the line, deciding whether to by second hand, or renew the contract!
However it is really nice to drive a new car, but you have to weigh that up with the cost...

Togaparties Mon 29-Aug-16 08:49:54

Hondas are great, can't comment on fuel economy etc without knowing which civic you're buying!

Togaparties Mon 29-Aug-16 08:57:45

Having looked at the website, the sport trim level is available as a 1.4 petrol or 1.6 diesel. I really wish manufacturers would stop with the ironically named trim levels. Sporty it is not. Make sure you can manage with such a small amount of power before you commit to one.

Oh2beatsea Sat 03-Sep-16 09:16:55

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately my current HRV is on its last legs. An engine management light is on and MOT is due next month and I can't risk it failing then I would have to either pay for repairs or sell for scrap! I've gone for the Civic - it was nice to drive and I got it for a good price. Thanks for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now