Car Insurance Help

(14 Posts)
RooDaisy Sat 09-Jul-16 15:05:05

I have posted this in chat and then found this section

Until October 2014 I had no points on my license and 8 years no claims. I then got a company car and between then and now, I have 3 points and 3 claims against me. The first claim was my fault and I hit a wall coming out of a really small car parking space, the 2nd one a to let sign hit the car and the 3rd one, I presume was done by a car hitting me and driving off.

I've just recently been made redundant and the work car has gone back so I am needing my own car and insurance. The cheapest quote I've had back is £1100 with a black box fitted and the most expensive is £2900

It seems ridiculous that insurance is so much. I know I'm going to have to suck it up and pay but does anyone have any recommendations for cheaper car insurance or any info on what the black box actually measures?

Your no claims from before the company car should still be valid.It normally lasts for 2 years and the company car claims would have been against the company insurance and not counted against your no claims.

Are you using your old no claims?

RooDaisy Sun 10-Jul-16 18:03:12

I spoke to Sheila's Wheels and unfortunately I've lost my no claims because of the previous claims. Even though the insurance wasn't in my name, it's underwritten against me

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 10-Jul-16 18:09:49

Sheila's Wheels are stupidly expensive. Have you tried the comparison sites like Go Compare or MoneySupermarket? Or Direct Line, as they don't advertise on comparison sites?
What kind of car do you have?

RooDaisy Sun 10-Jul-16 18:27:28

Yeah, I've tried them all. Sheila's Wheels couldn't even offer a quote!
It's a 1.6 seat Ibiza estate.
I've managed to get it down to £869, that's with a £1000 excess and a black box

TheDisreputableDog Sun 10-Jul-16 18:39:19

Black box measures things like harsh accelerating/braking/cornering as they indicate 'how' you are driving. Ideally you should be anticipating things coming up so slowing down for traffic lights not screaming up to them and then slamming your brakes on!
They usually come with some sort of feedback option so you can see how you're getting on, an app or website.
Designed to save you money I you drive sensibly.

RooDaisy Sun 10-Jul-16 18:54:44

I'm going to go for it and get it installed, there's an option to go pay more insurance but only have the box for 3 months and then you can get money back. I don't drive like an idiot so I'm not that bothered. It would actually be interesting to get the feedback on how I'm driving

MrsAmaretto Mon 11-Jul-16 10:59:15

Glad you found a better quote. Unfortunately you've had 3 "fault" claims since 2014. A fault claim doesn't mean you were to blame, just that your insurance couldn't claim the money off of anyone and had to pay out.

RooDaisy Mon 11-Jul-16 11:14:11

Thank you Mrs
I'm just to have to suck it up and pay and start again!!
Oh, must check actually that the NC are protected this time

I would talk to a few more people than Sheila's Wheels as others may not take the same view.

Have you tried a local broker? A good broker should know a few underwriters and may be able to get you a better deal. Of course they might still get "computer says no", but it can't hurt to try.

RooDaisy Tue 12-Jul-16 14:23:17

I've not actually but I will do. I've got until the 28th July so I'm going to keep on searching. Where would I find a local broker?

Try BIBA

www.biba.org.uk/find-insurance/

RooDaisy Tue 12-Jul-16 18:28:51

I will do, thank you cruel

RooDaisy Wed 13-Jul-16 15:47:13

I tried BIBA and he told me to go for the £800 plus black box. His actual words were, rip their arm off. He was getting 2K with a 3K excess

Thanks everyone for your help
Much appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now