driving small vs big cars? big difference? help with choosing please! nervous

(10 Posts)
twocultures Thu 12-May-16 14:50:47

My trusty old banger is now out of service and we are looking to buy a new car for me so I can get around with DC , do shopping etc etc
I've been looking around online and there's a few cars I've liked but up to now my car was tiny and I felt really confident driving around the city and getting in and out of tight parking and whatnot (think Peugeot 107 size).
I'm wondering how much different it is to drive a bigger car, especially in the city and in tight parking lots.
And also how much different it is with a bigger engine size?
Like I said my car was like a Peugeot 107 (I'm not giving the real make and model as they are really uncommon so no one would really know it) and 1.0 engine, I've seen a few Fiats (like the Punto) and Peugeots (like the 207) that I really like but obviously they're bigger and usually a 1.4 engine.
Is there a big big difference? Also can anyone recommend any cars? (budget is no more than £2250)

Thanks in advance!

BackforGood Thu 12-May-16 22:32:36

I drive 2 cars - a 13yr old with a 1.0 engine, and a 6 yr old estate car with a 1.6 engine. Before that, we had people carriers for years.
Without exception, the bigger cars have been easier to drive.
That extra bit of power when you need to overtake, more "added extras" to make life easy.

Themoleandcrew Thu 12-May-16 22:34:29

I had a corsa when I passed my test. I now have a scenic. I can park the scenic so much easier than the corsa. I think it's the driving position.

Chippednailvarnishing Thu 12-May-16 22:38:01

I drive a seven seater and a two seater.

It really depends on what sort of driving you do, I don't take the two seater on the motorway as it wouldn't be as safe as the other one. If I need to drive and park out on the street when it's busy I'll always take the smaller car.

My two seater has the same size engine as the seven seater and it's great fun, but I don't miss the speed when I'm in the larger one.

twocultures Fri 13-May-16 10:07:59

Thanks for the replies!
I'm just a worrier, I'm not sure about tight spaces and awkward/narrow parking lots. I always knew my old car would squeeze through anywhere, I'm unsure how I'd adjust to a bigger car.

Jenijena Fri 13-May-16 10:15:13

It really doesn't take long to get used to it. I've gone fiat Seicento - Nissan micra - seat altea XL - Peugeot 5008. So getting considerably bigger in steps. It takes a few days to get the measure of the shape of the car, and rear parking sensors have definitely helped, but it's not difficult.

Loved the seat the most of all of those cars, btw..

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Mon 16-May-16 13:09:49

I came to driving relatively late and learned in my own small car (Fiesta sized). I then needed to switch to a 7 seater when dc3 was born and I was terrified of it!

It took me hardly any time at all to adjust and that was as a relatively new driver and not an overly confident one at that.

Now I always try and wangle it so I get to take the big car!

BlueChampagne Fri 10-Jun-16 23:15:57

I used to swap between a bike, a Citroen C3 and a 7.5 ton horsebox. Sometimes the brain gets left in the previous vehicles, but you do get used to it.

Perpetualstateofchaos Fri 10-Jun-16 23:35:54

I had an old banger fiesta 1.25 and an old polo then went to a 1.6 astra sxi. Plenty of room for 2dcs and it's so much easier to drive and park than my previous 2.
The first car I drove was a zafira and found that easier than my little fiesta

Mondy Sat 11-Jun-16 00:00:24

Sometimes a smaller car can be harder to park than a bigger car, depending how easy it is to see around it, as cars have small windows these days. The Peugeot 107 for example has terrible rearward visibility.

If you're worried about parking, make sure that you get a car with parking sensors, they make life a lot easier, no matter what the size. Reversing cameras are good too.

If you're looking at a new-ish car, then it might be worth hiring the same one so that you can see if it suits you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now