accident - if other person at fault do I still pay excess to repair my car?

(6 Posts)
schooling123 Wed 11-May-16 05:29:37

there were road works and I had right of way ( blue pointing arrow) - I went and the other car opposite went too. as we passed each other other car scratched me car ( I actually stopped, so he was moving and I was not). no damages to his car but scratches to mine. the esimate is about 250 to repair my scratches. if I go though insuurance and hopefully they woudl recognise other person at fault - woudl I still need to pay my excess?

Jenijena Wed 11-May-16 06:02:27

When it happened to me, I paid it, then the insurance company sought repayment from the other driver and I got a refund.

schooling123 Wed 11-May-16 06:22:11

did you have a similar accident? will they think he was at fault? the other driver says I was driving at speed which is not true, I stopped...I have a witness - a workmen who was involved in roadworks

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 11-May-16 06:30:46

Yes you would have to pay the excess initially especially as he's disputing it.

You may find your insurance company isn't very interested in getting him to admit liability as your excess will pretty much cover such a low claim. I had an accident where someone reversed into the side of me so fairly obvious not my fault. He disputed it though and said I had driven behind him while he was reversing. My insurance company told me I would have to accept 50/50.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 11-May-16 06:31:26

And I had a witness!

I did fight my insurance company and it worked out ok in the end.

PeaceLoveGonk Wed 11-May-16 06:35:57

You'll have to pay excess and, in my experience, vigorously pursue your insurance company to reclaim it for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now