4x4 style family car

(37 Posts)
WalkingBlind Fri 22-Apr-16 02:22:36

We currently have a 3 door hatchback and I despise it but DP isn't fussed. With 2 kids 3yrs and under it drives me mad (no pun intended).

Dream car would be Range Rover Evoque but at that price we couldn't manage.

Anyone have a nice big car similar to that style (like a Nissan or something) but for a better price (on finance)? If I can show DP that it's not gonna cost a fortune then I think I can get him on board grin

We can afford a decent amount, just not Range Rover prices.

jasminemily26 Sun 24-Apr-16 17:44:28

I am looking at the Nissan Qashqai , I don't know if you were looking for something bigger than that, the best offer i have been given so far is £155 a month , that is on the second model up with a selected paint colour and service plan, also chose to add comfort and tech packs for a panoramic roof and sat nav, the price can vary a lot depending on what you model and extra you want to have. The Renault Kadjar is also one that i have looked at, very similar to the Qashqai.

Diddlydokey Sun 24-Apr-16 17:51:46

Jasmine what deposit/term etc was that. Also was it a lease or the bubble payment finance (pcp)

jasminemily26 Sun 24-Apr-16 17:57:42

opps sorry that was probably vital! Thats paying a £4000 deposit , its pcp so the optional final payment was around £10,700 I believe, I would give the car back though and not pay that, but obviously I have to keep in mind that I will want another deposit for the next car so will be saving up for that alongside the car payments.

jasminemily26 Sun 24-Apr-16 17:58:36

and 36 months *

Diddlydokey Sun 24-Apr-16 18:26:57

Thanks. That seems good value

Roarlikeadinosaur Sun 24-Apr-16 18:43:45

Have you looked at Dacia Duster? Pretty cheap even for the top spec. Good car too.

Yellowaveo59 Sun 24-Apr-16 18:47:21

My sister just got the Dacia Stepway. £200 deposit around £200 per month and no balloon payment at the end. She has the top spec with sat ab etc

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 24-Apr-16 18:47:44

We have a Honda CRV I really like it good drive, huge boot, very practical for me with 2 young kids and carted prams shopping etc

TweedAddict Sun 24-Apr-16 19:10:27

Have a look at the freelander sport. It's a limited edition and looks much like the evogue

Mondy Sun 24-Apr-16 20:35:33

Another vote for the Honda CR-V. We've had 3 in the family and every one has been brilliant. They drive like a car (better than most cars in fact), loads of room, good on fuel and lots of thoughtful touches (for example, mine has rear seats that can be slid backwards and forwards and reclining rear seat backs). They hold their value well too.

HermioneWeasley Sun 24-Apr-16 20:36:57

Everyone I know with a qashqai is very happy with it

ohidoliketobe Sun 24-Apr-16 20:40:42

We've got hyundai tucson. Very similar to Nissan in price and size but better spec (blue tooth digital radio parking sensors as standard on base model) and 5 year warranty

ohidoliketobe Sun 24-Apr-16 20:42:40

We also looked at Honda crv and really liked it but got a better trade in price with our car at hyundai, that and the warranty swung it to the tuscon

Fabellini Sun 24-Apr-16 20:51:57

Honda CR-V is a great car, I loved mine. I now have a Toyota RAV4 and love it too - it's proving to be better on fuel, and feels marginally more spacious inside, although I don't know if that's a true reflection on measurements....it just feels bigger.
It's definitely not as sleek looking as the CR-V is on the outside, but I have top spec (did on Honda too), and there's not much to choose between them inside.
Toyota is cheaper to buy, I feel Honda are a little overpriced now, but I have no idea how their finance deals compare.
Incidentally, if you feel Qashqai is a little small, dp has one of the new Nissan X Trails, we both think it's fab, and it has more gadgets inside than you could imagine! My favourite is the self dipping headlights smile

purpleporpoise Sun 24-Apr-16 21:06:38

Loved my Qashqai and would have another

greengreenten Sun 24-Apr-16 21:15:49

You really want a prestige car don't you?

Why not buy a used Lexus?
Or brand new? How about a Toyota RAV4 or landcruiser?

Catnuzzle Sun 24-Apr-16 21:41:28

Hyundai Tucson is my dream car.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 24-Apr-16 21:52:27

You've obviously never actually looked inside an Evoque or you wouldn't want one at all. They have a boot the size of a Mini's and with two kids that's just a joke. Seriously. It's bloody tiny.

MayhemandMadness Sun 24-Apr-16 22:07:15

I've a Ford Kuga. Fab car, had a tucson before but won't go back. I've had all different makes over the years but Ford is the first one were I thought that I would be quite happy to stay with in the future.

WoodleyPixie Sun 24-Apr-16 22:11:12

Ford kuga is fab. I'm looking for a new one. Had a Range Rover evoque and it's not great. Far too low head room in the back and tiny boot. It's for lady's who lunch and shop not a family car.
I quite liked the freelander sport but have decided to go for a new kuga. Other one we looked at was the new style Nissan X trail but again not much head room in the back.

WalkingBlind Tue 26-Apr-16 09:54:16

Thanks everyone! Definitely got the info I was looking for smile Really glad some people mentioned the downsides to the Evoque, you're right I hadn't looked inside think I need to update my "dream" lol

Wasn't so much about prestige blush I live in really rural countryside so a 4x4 style is practical for us, with the kids and dogs it makes more sense to go bigger. We just aren't keen on people carriers I don't like that 'rounded' shape most of them tend to be and DP is still in his early 20's I think a people carrier would make him feel a bit 'frumpy' grin

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 26-Apr-16 11:34:44

The Volvo XC90 is enormous inside. It has two extra adult sized seats that pop up out of the boot and still leave a bigger boot than the Evoque. I'd love one. I've currently got a Freelander which is nice but again, not a huge boot.

Mondy Fri 29-Apr-16 10:08:00

It's well worth checking how big the boot is on 4x4s and taking anything with you that you're going to need to carry regularly (pushchairs etc) to see if it fits. Some are a lot bigger than others but most 4x4s boots are actually shorter than the boot you'd get on something like a Mondeo, although they are deeper.

TheTittifersHaveSungTheirSong Fri 29-Apr-16 10:42:18

I love my Hyundai ix35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now