Best way to sell a 2006 car

(5 Posts)
fraggle84 Fri 12-Feb-16 14:42:49

We need to sell my car & aren't buying a new one

It's a 2006 Mitsubishi Colt, lovely little thing with rear parking sensors! Super reliable but does have a few scratches

Any advice how's best to sell it? I really don't know much about cars so feel intimated

dimots Fri 12-Feb-16 14:51:33

You will get the best price selling it privately through Autotrader or similar. However, you will have to meet with buyers ( who often don't turn up when they say they will), accompany them if they want to test drive and probably haggle. Many buyers are not above pretending there is a fault to knock down the price, especially if you don't know much about cars. Also there are some out and out crooks about who will try swindle you out of the car altogether.

The best hassle free price is to sell the car to a reputable dealer. You won't get top price, as they need a profit margin, but much less hassle. If you use a dealer for servicing regularly try them first, as they will know the cars history (as long as it isn't a troublesome one!)

Or you could sell at auction. You probably won't get as much as the dealer will pay though.

Don't bother with people like webuyanycar.com they pay rock bottom prices, charge you £50 for the paperwork and then sell in the auctions. Better to sell in the auction yourself & get the profit margin yourself.

fraggle84 Fri 12-Feb-16 14:55:52

We buy any car offered £285 which is very low

I don't feel confident selling it myself as don't know much about cars & tricky to do test drives as I have 2 young children who'd have to go in the car!

I'll ring a dealer and see

Hersetta427 Mon 14-Mar-16 16:05:59

Gumtree?

AmyBecker Wed 23-Mar-16 17:42:58

Gumtree is a great option, doesn't charge to post on there either I don't think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now