Anyone drive a mini and do you like it?

(25 Posts)
MsAlbertine Sun 31-Jan-16 16:33:00

Considering down sizing to a mini cooper diesel as DS learning to drive.

Currently drive a VW Golf - .

It would be a new one.

UmbongoUnchained Sun 31-Jan-16 16:33:55

I've driven my mums a few times and I love it. I would get one myself if I didn't need a pram.

gonegrey56 Sun 31-Jan-16 16:40:38

Yes, I love mine. Easy to drive and even easier to park!

Tagetes Sun 31-Jan-16 16:56:45

Yes - we are on our third and love them. Bit difficult to get in and out of the back but as I'm always driving or in the front passenger seat that's not my problem! grin If you get a new one from a Mini dealer the service (in every way) is excellent. In fact it's about time we paid them another visit...

TiggeryBear Tue 02-Feb-16 20:49:15

I absolutely adore my Mini smile the only criticism I have is that the steering is a bit heavy; although I have only really noticed it after I've driven my partners Alfa Romeo GT which has really light steering.

janethegirl2 Tue 02-Feb-16 20:51:14

My dh loves his mini, I absolutely hate it.

ThenBellaDidSomethingVeryKind Tue 02-Feb-16 20:52:11

Omg, hated mine. Fun to drive, but had endless mechanical problems, some of which were serious, in a car that had only done 37k miles. Sold it as soon as I could.

ThenBellaDidSomethingVeryKind Tue 02-Feb-16 20:52:50

Meant to add, my df had one - also riddled with issues

MajesticWhine Tue 02-Feb-16 20:54:19

I have a Mini Countryman. Plenty of space, easy to park. I love it to bits.

Finallyonboard Tue 02-Feb-16 20:56:14

I loved mine but now drive a Golf, which is much much safer than a Mini.

www.euroncap.com/en/results/mini/cooper/7879

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 02-Feb-16 20:57:05

I have driven one, I hated it. Too small, too bumpy, too basic.

WhimsicalWinnifred Tue 02-Feb-16 21:02:36

Does ds know you are looking at minis? They're on the feminine side.

Also a golf is 4.3m long and a mini 3.7. According to a quick google. I mention it because o didn't think there was that much difference in size

Finallyonboard Tue 02-Feb-16 21:03:31

www.euroncap.com/en/results/vw/golf/10955

Bunbaker Tue 02-Feb-16 21:11:20

I have never driven one, but have been a passenger in one. I hated it - too small and too close to the ground. I would never want to own one.

Hissy Tue 02-Feb-16 21:18:31

I had a cooper s convertible for a few weeks in the summer last year.

Too bumpy, bloody hard ride, heavy steering and (personally) all instruments at precisely the distance I need glasses to comfortably read. Not something I have encountered anywhere else. I only need glasses for reading books and phones, I don't even need glasses for computer screen.

Ridiculously small tank, thirsty car.

I am only glad I hadn't got rid of my old car. I sold the mini and went back to my Renault convertible. It's great to be back.

LittleFishBigOcean Tue 02-Feb-16 21:25:56

I did love my minis (had 3 in total. Not at the same time. One after the mother) but I've just had a new golf and I prefer that.

Horses for courses I think. Go for a test drive and see what you think.

LadyMercy Tue 02-Feb-16 21:32:08

Mine did over 130,000 miles before I traded it in. I had 3 breakdowns in 11 years, which I don't think is unreasonable. I miss my mini

WMittens Tue 02-Feb-16 22:04:28

Considering down sizing to a mini cooper diesel as DS learning to drive.

It would be a new one.

Am I the only one that thinks a learner driver in a brand new car is a bad idea?

cathyandclaire Tue 02-Feb-16 22:08:23

I LOVE mine. Had to say though that the DDs have a Citroen C1 and a new model Renault Twingo and I think they are better for new drivers, cheaper, 4 doors, low/no road tax and low insurance groups, also surprisingly good drives even on motorways.

squicketysquack Tue 02-Feb-16 22:11:15

I love my little Mini!

Bunbaker Tue 02-Feb-16 23:04:31

I just don't get the love for minis. To me a car is a something useful and functional to get from A to B. Some are nicer to drive than others.

AmyBecker Wed 03-Feb-16 11:37:27

They're fun to drive like but practicality wise and comfort inside isn't as good as others.

They're easy to drive due to their size, but if things break it can be an expensive fix. Probably not the best if you're learning to drive in one.

You're probably better going for one these to be honest: www.carkeys.co.uk/guides/best-first-cars-for-a-newly-qualified-driver?76542rH

Tasha99 Fri 19-Feb-16 17:45:19

I'm considering downsizing from a crv to a Mini Countryman or Clubman. I love my mod cons so I'll be getting a high spec one if I do get one. I have a test drive coming up but I guess my main concern is the change in size and driving position. I have 2 kids in their early teens. I no longer have a rota but sometimes give lifts etc Has anyone downsized? I'd appreciate your views. Pros/cons and anything I need to bear in mind. Thanks

Sedona123 Fri 19-Feb-16 18:09:00

I used to have a Mini Cooper Sport.

Pros - very very fast, and really easy to park.

Cons - very bumpy, and seats really really uncomfortable on journeys over 2 hours.

Tasha99 Fri 19-Feb-16 19:06:25

Thanks Sedona123. That's helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now