Skoda Octavias.. Yay or Nay?

(38 Posts)
PuckyMup Fri 29-Jan-16 22:00:41

Found a second hand one at a good price with a dealer. Seems to tick the boxes and the reviews seem good but any advice from those of you who have/had one?

Thanks!

StrumpersPlunkett Fri 29-Jan-16 22:02:46

Can't help with the octavia but we have the one bigger, the superb and love it! Had our first one for 10 years and this one now for 18 months.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 29-Jan-16 22:04:47

Yay! I have an 06 plate and it's been rock solid for the 7 years I've had it. Boot fits all our stuff (4 of us) for a week away.

BarbaraTheIncredible Fri 29-Jan-16 22:05:24

We have 2! So yay. Brilliant reliable family cars, even the saloon has a massive boot that we give thanks for pretty much every time we use it.

tsonlyme Fri 29-Jan-16 22:06:05

I loved my Octavia big time! So comfortable, it was a 2L diesel and went like shit off a shovel when I needed to overtake grin. I only got rid of it because I needed something economical for city driving so I traded it in for a 1L petrol Fabia which I have hated since the day I got it sad (but mostly because I miss the Octavia)

My Octavia had some nice toys, like the anti glare rear view mirror, a nice stereo and a nice leather padded steering wheel, all of which I miss a LOT.

Get it, you'll love it. I've never seen a bad review of an Octavia unless you care much about people who are more concerned about having an expensive brand than useability.

Lucsy Fri 29-Jan-16 22:07:04

I absolutely love mine

SirChenjin Fri 29-Jan-16 22:07:12

We had one years ago and loved it - huge amount of boot space, very reliable. We've just ordered a swanky brand new Superb estate, getting it this week. Skodas are ace.

BikeRunSki Fri 29-Jan-16 22:08:02

We're on our third. DH has one as a company car. He gets a budget and gets to choose his own car every three years. He can never find a better car for the money! FiL has one which is a W reg - about 1999?- which has about 200000 miles on it and still going.

All ours and fil's have been TDis.

marmaladegranny Fri 29-Jan-16 22:10:15

Great car - we had ours for 10 years and it had fabulous boot space and was roomy in the back. Only got rid of it because DH became less mobile and needed a higher access car.

tsonlyme Fri 29-Jan-16 22:15:43

Another thing, in the boot there is a HIDDEN COMPARTMENT under the floor (not around the spare wheel) where you can hide Christmas presents on your way to grandmas for Christmas Eve, or you can put a picnic in there and put the dog on top. Brilliant. There are several compartments around the boot for stashing all kinds of things now I come to think of it.

I want another one.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 29-Jan-16 22:17:39

TS I have the 2 litre vRS which has the Audi TT engine in it. It does sedate and sensible and howling beast at different bits of the rev range grin

OP it has the same chassis as a VW Golf and Audi A3. Parts are used across the range and tbh the trim level is the most noticeable difference between the cars.

Sunbeam18 Fri 29-Jan-16 22:24:49

It's great - reliable, great amount of space and economical

tsonlyme Fri 29-Jan-16 22:26:19

Are VW & Audi the same company?!! I knew Skodas were basically VWs at a massive discount but had no idea that they were Audi connected!

I'm about to trade, Skoda have been calling me over and over but I really don't want another bloody Fabia unless it has a nice engine and some toys <shallow> Deffo can't afford an Audi but was wondering if I could afford a VW - but why pay more for the badge?

Last time I traded I did it in a bad mood, pointed at a car and said "that'll bloody do" haha. I'm an idiot, I know confused

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 29-Jan-16 22:28:29

Yes. And Seat too. Volkswagen Audi Group took over Skoda and Seat and there's a common platform across the marques. Engines, chassis, gearboxes etc.

BikeRunSki Fri 29-Jan-16 22:29:58

tsonly VW own Audi, Skoda, Seat and, I think, Porshe. Often referred to as VAG - Vollswagen Audi Group.

Greengager Fri 29-Jan-16 22:30:18

Ours is an 07 diesel. It's been great - very reliable great boot space. I've always had Skodas and really rate them.

BikeRunSki Fri 29-Jan-16 22:30:38

X post !

gobbymare Fri 29-Jan-16 22:31:46

Yay ....where I live all taxis are skoda octavias that speaks for itself and as a taxi driver who owns one I love mine.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 29-Jan-16 22:32:29

Yes Bike, Porsche too. Not sure about the common platform including Porsche too though.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 29-Jan-16 22:35:08

Oh DH says they're starting to use common parts on at least one new Porsche.

PuckyMup Fri 29-Jan-16 22:35:49

Wow so much skoda love :D

I've emailed the dealer (too late to ring) and will ring in the morning. Worried now it'll have gone! It's a late 2006 with 55000 on it (average for here for age) and 2.0 Petrol engine

Are they prone to things going wrong at all? Anything specific to look out for?

7Days Fri 29-Jan-16 22:35:56

Skodas are brilliant, love my 06 Octavia. Loads of space in the boot.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Fri 29-Jan-16 22:37:31

As an alternative we've loved our Kia Ceed Estate

PuckyMup Fri 29-Jan-16 22:38:38

Whats the mileage like on a full tank?

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 29-Jan-16 22:42:22

Oh have that one!!
55k is below average for age btw

My battery went this week. I think it might have been in it when I got it 7 years ago.
There is some strange fault that show up as an airbag failure but is down to a poor joint in the electrics under the passenger seat. Part of the ABS module malfunctioned but Skoda replaced it free of charge despite the car being 7 years old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now