Car just died - need a new one - what to get?

(19 Posts)
mintoil Tue 08-Dec-15 18:10:32

Just that really - got around £10k to spend on a newish second hand car. The one that just died was a Renault Megane and it drove really well plus it was convertible but I am over my mid life crisis

Previously I had Peugeots, Fords, even a Hyundai. To be honest, I always loved a Fiesta. They drive so well, and I am angling towards that.

However, what do wise mumsnetters have in the way of advice? I am not brand conscious so wouldn't buy an older VW or anything. Are Vauxhall Corsas really shit? Why are they so cheap? What about SEAT - a friend loves hers. It's just me in the car most of the time, sometimes the teenagers hop in. I have a 45 mile round trip commute most weekdays but term time only. Don't do long journeys.

Thanks in advance for all your pearls of wisdom.

Pipbin Tue 08-Dec-15 18:12:21

I bloody love my Nissan Note. Loads of room, big boot and will happily take 5 adults.

wonkylegs Tue 08-Dec-15 18:17:16

Toyotas aren't exciting but mine has been a fab reliable choice that has cost me next to nothing in maintainance & running costs and is still going strong after 10yrs. I only have a yaris so probably a bit small for you but my friend has a larger one which she loves too.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 08-Dec-15 18:17:38

Second the Note - excellent leg room (although I have the older one with the pull/push back row seats). Mine was an ex motability with 1.2k on the clock at a year old and it has SatNav blacked out windows, alloys etc.

I did love my old Clio though....

I think that Corsas are a piece of shit smile

If style isn't an issue then a Skoda Fabia would be a good buy but good looking they aren't unless you get one of the sporty ones with the white roof etc.

The little Skoda Citigo look nice if size isn't an issue.

wonkylegs Tue 08-Dec-15 18:19:07

Sorry just realised its just you mainly then a Yaris might be a good choice. Pick the larger engine and is quite nippy. I used mine for commute and longer national work trips

allowme Tue 08-Dec-15 18:21:47

I read that as cat just died need to get a new one! Thought blimey thats a bit heartless.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 08-Dec-15 18:22:37

Just done a bit of a trawl on Autotrader. Looks like you can pick up a decent Note with only a few miles on the clock (pre registered) for within your budget - I'd go for that - new car, decent spec and 2 years plus warranty - job done.

mintoil Tue 08-Dec-15 19:11:14

runs to check cat - he's fine - runs back to thread

Thanks - keep the advice coming!

WMittens Wed 09-Dec-15 13:29:30

Toyotas aren't exciting

GT86
MR2
Supra
Celica
2000GT
(Lexus) LFA.

It really depends on which Toyota you buy.

AmyBecker Wed 09-Dec-15 14:29:52

What do you mainly want from the car?

Long distance? Reliability? Efficiency? Lots of equipment? Spacious?

mintoil Wed 09-Dec-15 14:38:19

I want an enjoyable ride - so that's why I am thinking Ford Fiesta. I want reliability, cheap parts, and of course, a lovely colour grin

I rarely drive for more than 90 minutes in any direction and my usual commute is just 23 miles each way. Most of my driving is in town but sometimes I hit the motorway.

I am also wondering whether to go for an automatic as I have some issues with my wrists and think this might help.

Lots to think about. I had never considered a Nissan. I think of them as old ladies cars, but then I realised I am an oldish lady now!!!!

Luxyelectro Wed 09-Dec-15 14:44:30

Skoda Fabia auto. Not pretty but great value

Salene Wed 09-Dec-15 14:52:54

You could get a brand new Dacia for that

No road tax

Five years free servicing

80mpg in the sandero

I know a few people with them and they love them.

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 09-Dec-15 14:56:02

I think the best bet is to narrow it down to 3 or 4 and go and try them out - if you can get one of the bigger car market places that have them all in one place to try at the same time it would be good.....and then search for the best deal even if it is somewhere else smile

ouryve Wed 09-Dec-15 14:57:48

Corsas are cheap because they're shit!

Another vote for a Toyota

minsmum Wed 09-Dec-15 14:58:57

How about a Suzuki. They are very reliable and reasonably priced

mintoil Wed 09-Dec-15 17:43:20

Yes thanks - I am going to a big car place in town and will sit in them all and twiddle the knobs and make a decision. It's just so terrifying - more so than buying a house somehow.Probably because they depreciate.

Really appreciate the advice. I will report back of course!!

ThornyBird Wed 09-Dec-15 17:44:40

I have a fiesta - 1.0 litre 'ecoboost' and I love it!

mintoil Fri 11-Dec-15 16:59:15

So I did it!! Bought a Ford Fiesta - 2014 reg. Tis a thing of beauty and I am very happy. I will probably have to start another thread about how on earth you get used to driving an automatic after 30 years of driving a manual!!

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now