Family car recommendations

(10 Posts)
daisydaisychain Tue 20-Oct-15 14:07:48

I'm looking for suggestions for a new family car please. I'm looking to buy a car with enough boot space for a pram (carrycot plus base) plus other things. I'm looking for something safe, comfortable and reasonably easy to drive. I've never had a car before so I'm a bit stuck. We'd like to lease a car expect to spend up to about 200 a month.

WMittens Tue 20-Oct-15 21:40:25

I'm looking to buy a car

We'd like to lease a car

Which - buy or lease? £200 a month on its own doesn't mean much; how much deposit are you able/willing to put down? Depending on the car, dealer and deal you could stump up anywhere between 0% and 50% of the car's value.

What sort of term do you want to pay over? Are you going to keep the car at the end of the term, or definitely want to give it back? Or, not yet decided and want to have the choice? How many miles per year are you likely to drive?

If you want to buy, you can finance via Personal Contract Purchase (PCP; deposit, monthly payments and a massive balloon payment at the end if you want to keep it), Hire Purchase (HP; a deposit and regular monthly payments until it's all paid off) or bank loan.

If you want to lease, then the option is pretty much just a personal lease: pay an initial rental (it's not actually a deposit but works in the same way), then a monthly payment until the end of the term when you give the car back (generally no option to keep it).

2snugglets Tue 20-Oct-15 21:53:55

I have a new Seat Altea. It's just the job. The it's an eco motive and does 60-70mpg. Also really kitted out with tech stuff and has a tv in the back for the kids. It's sounds like the size your looking for and they are around that price on lease. Would recommend you test drive one

AmyBecker Wed 21-Oct-15 11:04:32

Well the best family hatchbacks i can think of is the new Audi A3 sportback, Nissan Pulsar and the Ford Focus. Are these what you're looking for?

Think the market price for the basic models for the A3 and Focus are around £200 per month put you can probably get cheaper. And again with the Pulsar but it's cheaper at a price of £165 per month.

cathpip Wed 21-Oct-15 11:11:29

I have just downsized my heap of shit, sorry discovery smile to a Kia ceed sportswagon. I can get three seats across the back and a double buggy and two dogs in the boot, it's £30 tax a year and £50 to fill the tank, I love my new car!

daisydaisychain Wed 21-Oct-15 11:22:17

We plan to lease without a substantial deposit and we don't know if we would buy it at the end. Basically I'm looking for something reasonably priced in the same league as a Ford focus or similar, not a luxury car.

daisydaisychain Wed 21-Oct-15 11:23:50

Sorry amybecker and catpip, I only just saw your posts. Many thanks, I will go and investigate those options.

WMittens Wed 21-Oct-15 21:09:54

We plan to lease without a substantial deposit and we don't know if we would buy it at the end.

If you lease you can't buy it at the end, you have to give it back.

If you want to keep your options, you need to look at PCP deals.

WMittens Wed 21-Oct-15 21:10:10

*options open

daisydaisychain Mon 04-Jan-16 15:38:25

Thanks for all your help. We only got a car a couple of weeks ago and ended up getting a Honda jazz. We're really happy so far with the boot space and the maneuverability of the car. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now