What's is leaking from my car

(19 Posts)
Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Jul-15 13:42:22

I'm new to driving and car ownership.. This morning I noticed something dripping cm from bottom of my car. when I looked at the puddle it just appeared to be water. had no smell and wasn't greasy.

There are no warning lights flashing. and all the levels of stuff I checked appeared ok. what could it be and should I be panicking

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Jul-15 13:58:56

Anyone?

rumgy Thu 02-Jul-15 13:59:39

Air conditioning ?

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Jul-15 14:00:58

How do I check that

CainInThePunting Thu 02-Jul-15 14:05:09

What car is it?
From where is the leak? Ie front middle/front drivers side etc?
Did you have heavy rain last night?

HirplesWithHaggis Thu 02-Jul-15 14:05:12

If you've been using aircon in the car, the condensing unit will drip water from underneath the car. If you don't have or haven't used aircon, then start worrying.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Jul-15 14:07:12

It looked like it was coming from the centre of the car. I have had the air con on alot. relieved that's what it could be. Thanks smile

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Jul-15 14:07:35

No rain. It's a Ford fiesta

HirplesWithHaggis Thu 02-Jul-15 14:12:22

Ah, almost certainly the aircon then. I panicked the first time I saw that too! grin

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Jul-15 14:14:07

Thank you everyone grin

was seriously confused and worried.

feel better I'm. Not the only one who jumped to worrying ideas

CainInThePunting Thu 02-Jul-15 14:29:46

Agree air con.
Onboard computers are fairly sfisticated these days so anything fluid related would prob bring up a warning light of some kind.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 02-Jul-15 14:31:39

Aircon for sure, it always leaves a puddle when it's been running in this heat.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 02-Jul-15 14:34:19

Well that's just fantastic.

Thank you so much everyone.

big relief

WMittens Thu 02-Jul-15 22:03:32

Onboard computers are fairly sfisticated these days so anything fluid related would prob bring up a warning light of some kind.

Not always - oil level could be almost a litre under the 'MIN' mark before the low pressure warning light comes on, depending on the car; there's nothing like a good old-fashioned dipstick.

CainInThePunting Fri 03-Jul-15 00:11:08

Sure but youv've heard an engine running low on oil. OP would be on here asking why her engine sounded like a box of spanners.
Besides, a puddle of engine oil is fairly easy to identify.

WMittens Fri 03-Jul-15 14:06:50

Depends on the engine - a low level doesn't necessarily result in "sounding like a box of spanners". Four cylinder diesels sound like a box of spanners when running normally, a silky smooth petrol V8 can stay reserved even when it's burned some oil off.

I wasn't referring to the OP's situation, just your assertion that relying on the OBD is a safe way to manage car maintenance - it's not.

VoyageOfDad Fri 03-Jul-15 14:15:25

I could be coolant also. Prob is the aircon , but very much worth checking the coolant tank levels..

CainInThePunting Fri 03-Jul-15 14:19:12

I was referring to OPs situation in the comment you quoted me on. She already identified it wasn't engine oil.
Nit picking much?
hmm

WMittens Fri 03-Jul-15 15:41:54

I quoted the bit I was referring to as highlighted in bold. Maybe slight nit-picking, but I think such advice, if misconstrued (which is easily done with that statement) is potentially costly.

If that deserves a raised eyebrow, then fair enough - you use your method of preventative maintenance, I'll stick with mine, and any readers can make their minds up based on our posts (or ignore said posts).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now