Which mpv do you have or recommend.

(31 Posts)
Superexcited Wed 27-May-15 08:28:29

I am looking to buy an mpv to accommodate our growing family, the endless baggage and children's friends etc who sometimes need transporting.
I am hoping to get a big mpv which has 6 or 7 decent sized seats. Most of the MPVs we looked at have very small seats in the 3rd row and very poor access to get into them and won't really suit our family.
We are considering the ssanyong rodius (not sure about the brand), the ford galaxy (not the best looking car) and the vw sharan. Have we missed anything in the same sort of price brackets?
If you have a big mpv would you recommend it?

siblingrevelryagain Wed 27-May-15 08:32:53

I love my citreon c4 grand picasso. I have three children and can fit three car seats across the back seats, and the extra 2 seats in the back are proper seats (only a small footwell so not great for lanky adults but my lanky 9 year old fits fine and will do for a few more years, and the kids still love the novelty of being in the back).

So many clever and thoughtful things included. And cheap too.

Superexcited Wed 27-May-15 08:40:13

I looked at the citroen grand c4 picasso but I wasn't sure that my teenager (who is taller than me) or his friends would fit comfortably in the back row and getting into the back row doesn't seem that easy for a full sized person.
I was hoping for a car with seats in the 3rd row which are suitable for adult sized people. I did like the look and spec of the grand C4 though,

oenophilia Wed 27-May-15 08:46:39

We have just traded in our ancient Peugeot for a Seat Alhambra, which is basically the same car as a VW Sharan but cheaper. 4 DCs, two of whom are already over 6 foot - all easily comfy in the back with masses of leg room. We're really happy with it.

Superexcited Wed 27-May-15 08:51:58

I was going to look at the Alhambra as Volkswagen own seat so I assumed it would be a very similar vehicle but the local seat dealer didn't have any alhambras in the showroom and said there is a problem with production which means having to wait at least six months to get one. I might go and try a different seat dealer and see if they say the same thing as it makes sense to look at one if it is the same as the VW but less money. Nice to know that your tall children fit in the car easily as that it what I am hoping for.

WMittens Wed 27-May-15 09:21:23

We are considering the ssanyong rodius (not sure about the brand), the ford galaxy (not the best looking car)

Wait, what? You mention the Rodius, but the con "not the best looking car" is attributed to the Galaxy (which is good looking, as far as MPVs go)? The Rodius is the second ugliest car in the world behind the Pontiac Aztec*.

*Which is actually slightly cooler now than it was.

Superexcited Wed 27-May-15 09:34:54

It wasn't the ssangyong rhodius, it is the ssangyong turismo (all this thinking about cars is making me befuddled). I was mainly looking at the ssangyong because of its price being much cheaper than the others of that size and the boot space being bigger when all sever seats are in use, but having just checked the fuel consumption figures I dint think it is a car that I will consider. I haven't actually been to a ssangyong dealer to look at any as we live quite far from the nearest dealer so I'm not sure what it actually looks like, but the fact it is a total gas guzzler puts me right off.

neddle Wed 27-May-15 09:46:16

Surely the fiat multipla is the ugliest car in the world?
How you looked at the Kia sedona?

Superexcited Wed 27-May-15 10:05:23

Are they still making the Kia Sedona? I looked on their website but couldn't find it. It would have been my first choice because I used to have a Kia and I loved it, best car I have ever had.

Superexcited Wed 27-May-15 10:09:35

The fiat doblo is another ugly looking car (apologies to anybody who owns one).

shushpenfold Wed 27-May-15 10:13:13

We had an alhambra - same car as the Sharan but cheaper. To be frank, I loathe the look of all of people carriers so I'd go on best value/reliability. We had done a lot of research into it and the Alhambra came out top in value every time and could also properly fit tall kids/adults in the 2nd and 3rd rows simultaneously.

Superexcited Wed 27-May-15 10:20:49

I agree that all MPVs are quite ugly, some slightly more so than others. The Alhambra was the one I tried to look at first but I don't know what the supply issue is. I might try other seat dealers and see if they say anything different. It's good that 2 people on here have recommended the Alhambra.

Superexcited Wed 27-May-15 12:19:09

I phoned another seat dealer and apparently there are no Alhambras (new ones) available anywhere in the country. He did say I could make a factory order for one and he reckons it would be 10 - 12 weeks for delivery but he couldn't be sure as the factory closes over summer so it could easily be 16+ weeks. Apparently the shortage of supply is due to a slight model change.
I don't mind waiting 10 weeks but I don't want to wait an indefinite amount of time.

StorminNorman Wed 27-May-15 14:25:16

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser

BinToHellAndBack Wed 27-May-15 14:28:51

I thought the Kia Sedona was about to go back into production (may have made that up though!)?

AliBingo Thu 28-May-15 14:15:02

I have a Sharan, really happy with it. Bought because we needed 3 car seats across the back and a big boot plus extra seats for grandparents. Liked the Sharan's sliding doors. Have transported 7 adults in comfort, the rear seats are good. We saw more nearly new Sharans than Alhambra's when we looked and they weren't that much more expensive. Hth.

penisland Thu 28-May-15 15:03:00

the fact it is a total gas guzzler puts me right off

Not really a gas guzzler though is it? 37.2mpg combined seems pretty reasonable for a 7 seater MPV. I think you need to understand what a real gas guzzler is!

NotCitrus Thu 28-May-15 15:10:58

Just had a new Sharan for a month. Very comfortable seats and spacious inside, but wobbled like a jelly and 2 out of 3 kids threw up for the first time in over a year, and I felt pretty queasy too.

Have acquired an ancient Galaxy which has a much firmer ride and is the only vehicle dn has never been sick in. It's perfectly adequate though doesn't have the new function of seats folding into the floor with a push-button. But then we still have some small kids so number of seats and being able to use as a van are key to us.

Any thoughts on what MPV would be best to buy (or to avoid!) over the next year for under £3k greatly appreciated. People seem to recommend the Zafira a lot.

AliBingo Thu 28-May-15 15:28:27

I had Zafira before and liked it but it seemed quite unreliable and was nowhere near as big, seats or bootwise, as my Sharan. It was also less economical than my new Sharan is.

Motortrader Thu 28-May-15 15:36:23

VW Caddy life maxi might be a good option. Has excellent boot space, even with all three rows of seats in place. I don't remember what the third row is like though.

Superexcited Thu 28-May-15 19:40:12

notcitrus I have had 2 zafiras and wouldn't buy another (don't even know why I bought the second one). Problems with egr valves are very common and the rear row is very squished.

I have been to VW and placed an order for a sharan. 3 years full servicing and warranty etc as it is a new car so I don't have to worry about anything going wrong.

tomatodizzymum Thu 28-May-15 19:45:08

Chrysler/Dodge Grand Caravan. Brilliant. Has a real boot, not just a token boot and can, if needed fit 5 car seats (have had friends to stay as we are abroad, so tested this!) Also you can use all the rear passanger seats without having to fold or unfold a seat.

Superexcited Thu 28-May-15 19:51:47

penisland 'gas guzzler' might have been a slight exaggeration but 37 mpg isn't very good. Both the Alhambra and sharan give 51mpg combined which is quite a difference. Given that these are advertised figures I expect to get less in real driving conditions.

TalkingTree2 Thu 28-May-15 19:57:36

The fiat multipla is the ugliest car in the world but fab in all other respects. 6 seats in two rows, fits my 6'5" husband plus tall teens, and a decent boot. What more do you want?

penisland Fri 29-May-15 21:55:33

I'd expect the Ssangyong to get closer to the advertised figure than the others, it seems the higher the stated figures the more difficult they are to achieve in the real world. For me 37mpg combined is amazing, none of the cars in our household come anywhere near that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now