verso, s-max, something else??

(22 Posts)
thewalrus Thu 19-Mar-15 15:03:50

Hoping to test drive (used) verso and s-max tomorrow - anyone got any thoughts on either, or both, cars?

Currently have a Ford Galaxy, so used to driving and parking large cars. If budget were bigger we'd simply replace it, but they seem to have got very expensive. We're looking at 5-8 year old cars. Three kids, so really want three proper seats in the back (hence ruling out Zafira). Currently, Galaxy is full almost to brim for camping, but we don't really use its capacity otherwise (we're thinking we might supplement the smaller boot of the new car with a roofbox). We go on a fair amount of long car journeys, so I'm a bit apprehensive about kids having less space than they're used to. Use 7 seats occasionally, but not for long journeys.

Thanks for any advice!

twinky Fri 20-Mar-15 11:26:58

I currently have a zafira which I need to get rid of. I looked at a Verso last week and discounted it as there was even less space when all 7 seats are in use. Tiny leg room. You could only get wee people in the back 2 and there is virtually no boot. I use my car for after school childminding and want a Seat Alhambra to give the kids more space. The Verso sounds ok as long as you don't need to use the 7 seats regularly.

imip Fri 20-Mar-15 11:31:33

I have an smax. It's a nice car. I have 4 dcs and the 8 yr old and 5 yr old still fit into the full-size back seats. I'm not sure the verso seats are full size (so accommodate a car seat), and when I viewed on e back was just too small. With the back seats down, their is a lot of space, back seat up and I can just fit in most of my grocery shopping, or a buggy!

I think it is a tinny drive on lower gear, but a much smoother drive anywhere past 4th gear. I would recommend it based on what you've said. I think you'd find the verso too small also.

AliceMum09 Fri 20-Mar-15 19:58:46

My parents have a Verso, the boot is tiny compared to my Peugeot 5008. I've never looked that closely at their car when the boot seats have been up, but I know they have only ever had my two nephews (aged 6 and 4) back there. My car has space for adults in the boot seats, admittedly there is not acres of space but neither do you feel totally cramped. The remaining boot space is the width of a Maclaren Quest! Again, not seen the boot of the Verso with the rear seats up.

Out of the Verso and the S-Max I'd chose the Ford. Lots of my friends have them and the boot space with the rear seats up is certainly big enough to take a big pram seat and a separate chassis. I'm tempted to buy one, but we don't need a new car and I love the automatic parking brake and the hill assist feature on my car that the current S-Max doesn't have. I believe there is an all-new S-Max due out this year that will have an automatic parking brake, but I still couldn't live without hill assist!

AliceMum09 Fri 20-Mar-15 20:02:46

Oh, and the 5008 came out in 2010, so there may be some in your budget. I think the diesel engines are better than the petrol ones (the smaller petrol engine isn't powerful enough for the size of the car), mine is a diesel and it's lovely to drive. The middle row of seats are all separate, of equal width and all have ISOFIX. It has fitted any combination of three child seats that I have tried (our children are 9, 6 and almost 3).

bakingtins Fri 20-Mar-15 20:08:19

We have a Smax and I'm v happy with it. We only use the rear seats on rare occasions but it fits 3 car seats easily in the back. Boot holds travel system and dog cage. Good parking sensors make it easy to manoeuvre despite being a bus. Plenty of leg room in the back, we fit quite a lot of luggage under kids feet if going on holiday. Had ours 4 yrs (bought at a year old) and it's been v reliable.

Kerberos Fri 20-Mar-15 20:08:27

I used to have an SMAX. Now I have the Verso.

I would definately go with SMAX.

bakingtins Fri 20-Mar-15 20:10:03

Only major negative, though this may apply to the alternatives also, is no spare wheel, just some stupid gel stuff leading to total PITA situation in France with shredded tyre and ferry to catch

Kerberos Fri 20-Mar-15 20:23:57

Yeah my Verso also has no spare!

AnneElliott Fri 20-Mar-15 20:26:38

We have an s max. Great boot size when not using the back 2 seats. I love it, and will get another when current one breaks down.

imip Fri 20-Mar-15 20:26:59

No spare is a new car thing! Think prestige cars haven't had spares for a long time. Simmilar issue in France!

bonzo77 Fri 20-Mar-15 20:27:48

those with the s-max: can you get 3 isofix seats in? Either all of them on the middle row or 2 in the middle and one in the rear? I'll be wanting to get in a maxicosi cabriofix with base, a britax kidfix and a klippan kiss 2.

Christelle2207 Fri 20-Mar-15 20:31:08

Can't comment on s-max but test drove a verso today. I like it. However leg room in the back is tight- I think a good choice if you have 3 very small ones but not so much when they grow.

thewalrus Mon 23-Mar-15 14:35:33

Hello
Thanks for all your comments and advice! We both loved driving the Verso and have decided to get that - we are keeping the Galaxy for camping/big car occasions so hope that the kids will get used to the smaller space the rest of the time.

MiloCat Fri 22-May-15 20:48:57

bonzo yes you can. We have twins so have had 2 x cabrio fix/safefix and a Kidfix hbb on the back seats (middle row). All of those seats in ours are ISOFIX.

bonzo77 Fri 22-May-15 20:53:23

Ooh milo thanks for that. What year / reg is your s-max?

penisland Sat 23-May-15 11:03:11

the smaller petrol engine isn't powerful enough for the size of the car

Well, the 1.6 petrol is more powerful and quicker than the 1.6d which is the slowest of the lot.

GrrrrrBear Sat 23-May-15 11:27:01

I don't know how old the kids are but they can tall and leggy (12 onwards?) very quickly which is t great if they don't have much leg room.

MiloCat Sat 23-May-15 20:09:10

2010 (60 plate). It's a great car if you have 3 children smile.

bonzo77 Sat 23-May-15 20:40:34

Thanks milo! I've been trying to get this info for months and am planning to go car shopping next weekend. Will have 3 children by September!

mineofuselessinformation Sat 23-May-15 21:31:52

I can't recommend a car supermarket enough. Go in and tell them your requirements, they will show you all of the different cars that fit the bill - and you can walk away and buy elsewhere afterwards if you want to.

bonzo77 Sat 23-May-15 22:34:24

That's exactly what we are going to do. Taking all the car seats with too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now