Fiat 500: anyone got one?

(19 Posts)
springchickennolonger Sat 30-Aug-14 09:26:25

My big old car has reached the end of the road and I'm thinking of replacing it with something a bit more "fun". I'd like a small car now but the only one I fancy is the Fiat 500. I also like Alfas, Audi TTs, Minis etc. Not a big budget: up to about £7k. Any thoughts?

Gumnast2014 Sat 30-Aug-14 09:33:19

I love these too but think they are pretty overpriced fir what they are

BetweenDogandWolf Sat 30-Aug-14 09:38:22

No, but it would be my first choice of car if I had more money! I have a Nissan Micra instead, which is fine, to be fair.
Those big Fiat 500s look awful though, I only like the small ones.

I have a 500. You won't get a new one for 7k though

Letthemtalk Sat 30-Aug-14 09:40:48

I've driven one, like a hairdryer on wheels.

Muskey Sat 30-Aug-14 09:42:12

I love mine it's the best car I have ever had the bit I like the most is paying £20per year road tax and getting into the centre of London for free

FakaP Sat 30-Aug-14 09:43:09

I've got one and love it, so easy to drive and park, plus it looks so good! I've got no children but I imagine it might be a pain if you have car seats, it's quite snug in the back. Saying that we have had 2 adults in the back a few times and it's been okay.

JadeJ123 Sat 30-Aug-14 09:44:41

My mum had a fiat 500 in blue then upgraded to a mini as she wasn't as fussed as she thought she would be with a fiat 500, they're cute cars though

Nightboattocairo Sat 30-Aug-14 09:46:19

I'm on my second 500. I now have the Lounge version which has air con, Bluetooth & split rear seats, great for bulkier items you may need to transport. Downsides, it doesn't have much poke pulling off but is great once it gets going on the open road. Love mine, not much change from 12k, though for a new one. The basic Pop version is cheaper but pretty basic. Larger inside than you might imagine.

ReadyToBreak Sat 30-Aug-14 10:23:22

My mum's got an Abarth and it's like a little gokart, so much fun!

But yeh, you won't get one for around £7k.

You could probably pick up an older TT for that kind of money though.

WMittens Sat 30-Aug-14 11:36:04

You could just about get a 500 Abarth for £7k. Out of your suggestions, otherwise I'd be looking at a TT (although I feel slightly dirty saying it).

Clean sheet recommendations, if you don't need the seats look at the MX5, S2000, 350Z, RX-8 (if you do need a bit of rear-seat space). They're going to be much more fun.

BOFster Sat 30-Aug-14 11:39:22

Nissan Micras are quite cute and retro-looking (the newer models anyway). Easy to get parts for, reliable, reasonably-priced. A recent secondhand one should come in at under £7K.

The newer shape Ford Ka maybe?

Or a Suzuki Swift, similar shape to a Mini without the price tag.

Dixiechicken Sat 30-Aug-14 22:19:24

I love the fiat 500 but it was too small in the back if you are planning to carry passengers regularly. My almost 8 year old was cramped in the back.

The money a second hand one would cost has paid for a brand new corsa.

Acolyte Sat 30-Aug-14 22:24:01

I had one.
The build quality is crap. The car was 6 months old when I bought it and I kept it for 18 months.
The bumper/skirt on the front and back is plastic and the paint work was like crackle glazed.
Not good enough for a car that isn't cheap.

On the plus side, or was a nice looking car and light on petrol.

H2OWoe Sat 30-Aug-14 22:32:46

We've got two. company cars. We have a Ltd co. so we bought Twinair models. It's a very small engine with a turbo. Congestion charge free. Tax free. Cheap to service, cheap to run. Very very reliable, great customer service from Fiat. I sold my 500bhp Mercedes with cost £114K new to go into the Fiat. I loaded it with options - climate control, parking sensors, auto box, blue teeth connectabobs. It's great. The only thing I miss is keyless go. Inside the M25, a 500 Twinair is quicker intraffic than a big powerful car. The fiat is quick fom a standing start, turns on a sixpence, gets let in when posh cars aren't, and it's seconds to park. We are just about to chop in the 2011 twinair which is now worth about £6k with 35,000 miles. Much lighter and more fun than a mini, less CO2s, and it's a car that makes you want to zoom.

I have a lovely supercharged Jaguar as well but the fiat gets chosen over that for lots of situatations.

Get a one owner car with full dealer history and you cannot go wrong. Go the twin air though as the 1.2 and 1.4 are feeble and the Arbath is very expensive.

Keepcalmanddrinkwine Sat 30-Aug-14 22:48:15

I have a 500, it's great but you can only get 2 in the back.

SistersOfPercy Wed 17-Sep-14 16:11:13

I paid £7k for a 61 plate 1.2 Lounge at the beginning of the year so you will get one with a little warranty left if you shop around.
Not come across any issues with build quality, it's a sturdy little car with plenty of room in the boot for a large suitcase. Backseat passengers will find it a squeeze but I bought mine knowing having passengers in the back was a rarity.
The 1.2 engine is plenty for town journeys and surprisingly has a bit of poke to it. Great fun on bends as well. Love mine to bits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now