Is it madness to buy a 3 door car when you've got a toddler?

(16 Posts)
Paddingtonthebear Fri 29-Aug-14 19:02:13

We are buying a car. Two adults, one toddler. The car won't be used every day. Toddler has a forward facing seat. Is it madness to even consider a 3 door car?

Phineyj Fri 29-Aug-14 19:06:30

No, I manage fine in a Polo, although I often bang my head when getting DD out! We do have another car though, but I preferred to keep driving my small one as I can park it easily.

LumionaMoonsplash Fri 29-Aug-14 19:07:51

You don't have an infant carry seat so you should be fine.

AlbertaWildRose Fri 29-Aug-14 19:08:26

I have driven a 3-door-car with a toddler and it drove me mad.

Molotov Fri 29-Aug-14 19:08:28

I wouldn't do it (got rid of a 3 door for a 5 door when dd1 was a baby). Dd2 is now 2.4yo and still nods off in the car and can be a nightmare to buckle in even when gravity and leverage are on my side ... BUT, it depends on your finances: are you going for a 3 door because of what you can afford? (Don't feel that you have to answer this here).

If you can get a 5 door (especially if more dcs are on the cards) go for it. If not, it's not the end of the world smile

Paddingtonthebear Fri 29-Aug-14 21:02:14

Price is somewhat of an issue. The car we've seen is a great bargain in aspects except being a 3 door. I guess this is the compromise. No more DC on the cards.

Myfanwyprice Fri 29-Aug-14 21:05:35

We've got a 3 door car (a mini actually!) and a 4 and 8 year old, we got it when dd was 2, it has honestly been absolutely fine, no problems at all!

buggerthebotox Sat 30-Aug-14 09:15:15

Had coupes when dd was a toddler. No probs at all.On the plus side, the little buggers can't fiddle with the door and jump outgrin

KillmeNow Sat 30-Aug-14 09:36:04

We had a 3 door car when we had our first Dc and it was no problem We just had to do some acrobatics at times.when wedging her into her forward facing seat.

Then we had a minor shunt in the car and Dh freaked out at the difficulty of getting her out of the car .No one was hurt snd the car was driveable afterwards but we had to sell the car and buy a 4 door one after that one incident.

We have had a couple of really small incidents where a 3 door would have made things more difficult , like when Dc1 threw up copiously or when dc2 took to going rigid when being put into the carseat.

Without the thought of 'what if' at the back of our minds though none of these would have been any problem though.And the one time we did have a real problem we coped with it.

KillmeNow Sat 30-Aug-14 09:36:41

We had a 3 door car when we had our first Dc and it was no problem We just had to do some acrobatics at times.when wedging her into her forward facing seat.

Then we had a minor shunt in the car and Dh freaked out at the difficulty of getting her out of the car .No one was hurt snd the car was driveable afterwards but we had to sell the car and buy a 4 door one after that one incident.

We have had a couple of really small incidents where a 3 door would have made things more difficult , like when Dc1 threw up copiously or when dc2 took to going rigid when being put into the carseat.

Without the thought of 'what if' at the back of our minds though none of these would have been any problem though.And the one time we did have a real problem we coped with it.

MyNameIsSuz Sat 30-Aug-14 10:17:14

I've recently got an ancient ford ka and it's absolutely fine with almost 2yo. The doors are quite big though which makes a difference, and in a way it's easier to heft him into his car seat from the front than from the side like we have to in the ford focus. I was worried about space but if it's limited I just make sure I have room on my side and get him out the driver side - lean over to unbuckle, he hops down holding my finger and climbs out. No problem!

AngelinaCongleton Sat 30-Aug-14 10:24:18

We were recently given a 3 door car and it's not as bad as I thought. They can strap themselves in from 4 (with me checking) so not long for it being difficult anyway. If it comes down to £ then it's fine.

LatteLoverLovesLattes Sat 30-Aug-14 10:27:35

I wouldn't do it unless it was the absolute difference between getting a car or not.

When they are asleep/ill/being difficult - it is all much harder in a 3 door.

davidjrmum Sat 30-Aug-14 10:32:57

We had a 3 door with our eldest and drove me mad too. Also, I did worry about what would happen if we had an accident as it's definitely more difficult to get a child out of the back with a 3 door.

Albertatata Sat 30-Aug-14 14:05:54

I currently have a three door and a 3yr old and 1yr old - it is driving me mad with the infant car seat but the toddler is absolutely fine. If planning for anymore children then I would definitely go for a four door

Mutley77 Sun 31-Aug-14 03:51:14

No problems once they are forward facing. We had an EOS for our second car from when our youngest (at the time) was about 2 or 3 - it was never a problem and often I used to drive it during the week when I had the children with me.

We weren't at the time planning any more DC and by the time DC3 was on the way we were emigrating anyway (also unforseen) and we had to sell the car so no problem!! But we could have sold it if necessary - or just used our other car for travelling with DC3 in her rear facing seat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now