New family car with lots of space for 20k?

(41 Posts)
madoldwoman Mon 25-Aug-14 22:57:14

As above really! Intend to keep the car for a long time so requirements are....
- Doesn't have to be brand new but as low a mileage as possible.
- Don't need to seat 7 but may be nice to have the option as the kids grow and take friends.
- Must have big boot as we're thinking of starting camping next year.
- needs to occasionally get an adult in the back seat between the2 car seats (both rodi's)
- Would like good performance but reasonable economy and low-ish road tax
- Not french - have not had a good experience with french cars in the past!

Our current thinking is a VW passat Estate (seem to be able to get 2.0tdi pre-reg's which are as new for around our budget) but was wondering if there's anything better? (I know this isn't 7 seat but it seems to tick all other boxes!)

ramrod757 Tue 26-Aug-14 16:23:39

How many miles do you do each year? If you want to keep a car long term I'd avoid the VW and buy something Japanese.

madoldwoman Tue 26-Aug-14 17:25:07

About 10,000. Mostly town during the week but longer stretches at weekend (up to 100ish mile round trips). Interesting comment about VW - what makes you say that, I always thought they were bomb-proof and ultra reliable?

we have had Skoda's for the last 14 years and they are brilliant, the octavia and the superb have great boot space and economical to run.
I have a 14 plate superb and would go on an advert for it.

Panicmode1 Tue 26-Aug-14 17:33:35

I'd also like to know about the VW comment too! We are about to buy a Sharan (need 7 seats as have four children). Our French car has been a disaster so need reliability - DH 6ft 6 so Japanese too small, which really only leaves a German option!

piglet2911 Tue 26-Aug-14 18:04:48

We just bought a 2013 VW Caddy Maxi Life- 7 seater with big boot; all seats removable etc... It had 7000 miles on it and was £14,500 from a local VW dealer. It's easy to drive and v economical- they do a blue motion which is even more so and as you're budget it more you could have flashy extras too lol shock

ramrod757 Tue 26-Aug-14 18:25:57

As you do a fairly low mileage a diesel is not the right choice. They are generally only financially sensible once you're doing above 15k miles a year. Most of the VAG stuff is pretty mediocre from a build quality perspective. Expect expensive bills once out of warranty and generally crap service from dealers. If I were you I'd be looking at a Honda Civic tourer 1.8 petrol - especially if you're planning to keep it longer than 3 years.

prettybird Tue 26-Aug-14 18:29:54

Mazda6 smile. Tardis like interior. with loads of extra storage, a really wide boot and back seats that go down fully flat. Engine totally reliable but make sure to get later than 2008 as they only started to seal the chassis from then onwards (just had to get rid of my 2003 reg Mazda 6 TS2, even though it was still running like a dream as the undercarriage was getting somewhat dodgy and wouldn't have taken the tow bar we needed for a bike carrier).

I hate have not warmed to the Vauxhall Vectra Insiginia. Gueess which car we have at the moment sad

ramrod757 Tue 26-Aug-14 18:48:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ramrod757 Tue 26-Aug-14 18:59:29

But piglet the OP wants to keep a car for a long time and your Caddy Maxi Life just isn't very reliable by the looks of it.

madoldwoman Tue 26-Aug-14 22:12:19

Isn't crap service from dealers a given with any brand though? Certainly seems to be with any car I've owned so far!

I see where you're coming from ramrod with the Honda - but it doesn't do it for me, even though it has a truly massive boot. The couple of reviews I've read on it are OK but not sparkling. I looked at the Toyota Auris tourer too but the verdict on that is similar I'm afraid. There isn't really a Nissan of this type is there?

Will have a look at the Mazda 6 prettybird - is yours a petrol or diesel? If petrol, what's the mpg like?

I do quite like the look of the Astra sports tourer, but from what I've read on that I'm worried about reliability. Fords I've kind of fallen out of love with - I'm not keen on the new styling for cars like the focus and c-max and although previous fords I've had have been generally reliable, they've been serious petrol drinkers! I wouldn't mind a Skoda but DH cannot get past the badge!

Any other suggestions? Any thoughts on the Hyundai i40?

Elliptic5 Tue 26-Aug-14 22:34:59

We've just bought a 1.6 Blue Motion diesel VW Passat Estate, a 63 plate with 6700 miles on the clock. We paid just under £18 k from a main dealer.
We were looking for a petrol but couldn't find anything in our area or in the sort of car we wanted.
At the moment I'm learning to use the electronic parking brake and all the other gizmos as it's quite a jump up from my 10 year old Renault and OH's W plate Volvo.

prettybird Tue 26-Aug-14 22:36:26

I had a petrol 2.0l Mazda6. Depending on the type of driving I was doing (town versus motorway) and how much dh drove the car I could get between 30 blushand 40+mpg - probably averaging about 36mpg.

I did have a very light foot though - I taught myself via using the inboard trip computer which showed you exactly how many "litres per 100km" you were consuming (once you got used to the fact that unlike mpg, the smaller the figure, the better! smile)

I know Which? says the newer models are even better for petrol consumption.

prettybird Tue 26-Aug-14 22:38:42

Oh - and it was lovely to drive: really responsive (especially when you didn't use a light right foot wink)

Have I mentioned I miss it yet? grin

prettybird Tue 26-Aug-14 22:39:54

Don't know where that blush came in on my 1st post - on the old app so must've touched it by accident blush

ramrod757 Wed 27-Aug-14 08:02:41

The Mazda 6 is a good car apart from some problems with the diesels which are best avoided.

ramrod757 Wed 27-Aug-14 08:04:29

Hyundai i40 is a great choice with a nice long warranty.

DottyDot Wed 27-Aug-14 08:09:30

It isn't a 7 seater but we've got a Skoda Roomster and absolutely love it. Tons of room in the back for huge ds's and a Mahoosive boot! grin.

Really love it - diesel so feels very economical fuel-wise and it's been up and down the UK from Scotland to Devon without any problems at all. Definitely consider it if a 7 seater isn't a priority.

Racers Wed 27-Aug-14 08:10:02

I liked the Mazda 6 but we went for another 5 in the end. The 5 has masses of boot space and spacious seating but 5, not 7 seats. Drives great, the 6 was a different kettle of fish but if you're looking for extra passenger seats, space and reliability I think it would be a good one to try.

Racers Wed 27-Aug-14 08:13:16

Have I got that the right way round? Ours is the 5 seat Mazda. I love it. I'm the only driver so I really should know if it is a 5 or a 6!

RobotLover68 Wed 27-Aug-14 08:17:08

I have a Hyundai i800 - 8 seats - mahoosive boot, we got it ex-demo for under £20k with a five year warranty

starshaker Wed 27-Aug-14 08:17:18

We have just bought a new car. While looking we had narrowed it down to 2 cars. The new rav4 or the smax. Both were perfect for us. However I needed a new car before I had time to save the deposit i wanted so we went for another meriva. As soon as ive saved my deposit dp will get this car and I will get 1 of these

prettybird Wed 27-Aug-14 08:18:32

Mazda6 is the "ordinary" saloon/hatchback with 5 seats.

WMittens Wed 27-Aug-14 12:38:32

Interesting comment about VW - what makes you say that, I always thought they were bomb-proof and ultra reliable?

Reliability Index
First appearance of a VW is the Lupo (which isn't made any more) at 22. Next is the Fox (which they don't make any more) at 50. Lastly in the top 100 is the Polo, at 66.

ramrod757 Wed 27-Aug-14 16:16:46

Have a look at the warranty direct website as well, they have a reliability index section and of course it's in their interests to have quality info as that's what they use as the basis for underwriting warranties. VWs generally rate below average for reliability.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now