Which small car with 2 children?

(15 Posts)
funchum8am Wed 20-Aug-14 23:19:54

I have a Fiat 500 which is going to have to go now I am expecting DC2 (need five doors).

I have about 3k to spend so am looking at older models of reliable makes. I have done some research online and the most reliable smaller cars seem to be the Honda Jazz, Ford Fiesta and Toyota Aygo, but plenty of others rate highly depending which website you look at.

So, I am seeking suggestions from the real life motorists of Mumsnet.

I do only about 10,000 miles per year and limited motorway driving. I would like a very reliable car as I won't have lots of money for repairs, though have some savings in case of real need. I aim to keep the car about 4 years, then when DH and I are both working full time again will get a newer one so not worried about it keeping its value particularly.

Any ideas?

Purplecircle Wed 20-Aug-14 23:25:38

Aygo has a teeny tiny boot, you'd be lucky to fit a happy bag in it, let alone a pram or stroller
I'd go for a fiesta every time. I'm currently driving a corsa and I hate it. It's cheap plastic, doesn't Bluetooth my phone, does 0-60 in 20 minutes and isn't that comfortable

Snowflakepie Wed 20-Aug-14 23:29:24

Do you really need to change? Why 5 doors? I have 2dc in a mini. Dd up front with the airbag off (age 4) and DS in the back. Isofix base was a godsend for him but I really liked having one in the front with me, much easier to keep an eye on. It's been fine now DS is in a front facing seat, no real issues getting him in and out.

If you want to change your car then I'm sure there are lots of choices, just wanted to mention that it's really not essential if you like your current car.

Fuckalella Wed 20-Aug-14 23:34:42

I recommend a golf, they are smallish but utilise space rely well so lots of room inside and decent size boot. I had an older one (2005 reg) and had no problems with it.

funchum8am Wed 20-Aug-14 23:39:29

Thanks, sorry I can't do names as on my phone but your replies are really helpful.

I currently have DD in her car seat in the front and would keep the car and try to wrestle baby into a seat in the back, but I need the money generated by selling this one to part fund maternity leave and house move sadly.

I will look at VW options as Polos get a lot of good reports on here and elsewhere...both my mum and stepmom have them and love them but will look funny when we all get together and the are lined up outside (clearly not a reason not to get one, just funny.)

ouryve Wed 20-Aug-14 23:42:17

A Yaris would be a lot better than an Aygo - about the same size as the Jazz and just as flexible.

funchum8am Wed 20-Aug-14 23:52:33

Thanks, will also look at the Yaris.

List so far:

Yaris
Polo
Fiesta

Any others I should add, anyone?

funchum8am Wed 20-Aug-14 23:53:15

Sorry Golf is on there too

ArtyFartyQueen Thu 21-Aug-14 06:47:59

Seconding the polo, it's a great little car and can fit the kids in easily and good boot space!

OhMyArsingGodInABox Thu 21-Aug-14 06:55:12

Definitely fiesta. Dh drives a 20 yo polo and it's still going strong but I love my fiesta, and we have three dc.

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Thu 21-Aug-14 06:55:12

I have Citroen C3, although it is a bit tinny, it has been quite reliable. It feels quite spacious inside and has a remarkably large boot as it is quite deep.

funchum8am Thu 21-Aug-14 14:28:14

Thanks all for your help - looking at Autotrader there are lots of options in my price range so now to sell the Fiat!

SugarMiceInTheRain Thu 21-Aug-14 14:32:06

Hondas are known for their reliability. Both the Jazz and the Civic are quite small and fuel efficient. Very similar but a bit more boot space in the Civic. We have a 13 year old Civic with 130K on the clock which is still running very well. My mum's DP, who's a mechanic always recommends Honda because they rarely need fixing!

AugustAngst Thu 21-Aug-14 14:47:50

I have a Hyundai i20 and it's fab. You get so much car for your money and they are all highly rated by reviewers, also the safety ratings are excellent. I20s are about the same size as ford fiestas, the i10s are smaller but still with 5 doors and 3 proper seat belts in the back.

antimatter Tue 26-Aug-14 22:47:32

Kia Ceed has got much bigger boot, it is actually family hatchback

Mazda2 - similar size boot

SugarMiceInTheRain - can you ask if Hondas ever need new gearboxes?
I am about to decie on my next car (old most likely too expensive to fix) and was looking at H Civic but read somewhere that they need new gear boxes at 80-120K and that is v.expensive repair, I looked at one bit more expensive that OP, 68K at 5600 pounds, manual diesel and felt that clutch was a bit too soft which would have indicated that gearbox may need replacing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now