Family car recommendations please.

(12 Posts)
MummyKnight Tue 05-Aug-14 14:18:35

I currently drive an Audi A4 Avant but find it gives me a bad back putting my 21 month old DD in and out of her car seat. I am 5"10 so have to bend to be able to put her in. I also struggle to get everything in the boot when we go to visit family for a weekend.

I hope I can get some suggestions for what to get next, I'm looking for a car that is:
taller,
has plenty of boot space (big pushchair),
will fit 2 adults and a large isofix car seat (cybex sirona),
has space for another car seat (planned future child),
comfortable on long journeys,
road tax of £250/year or less,
manual transmission,
diesel engine.

What do you suggest or what do you drive?

Thanks smile

MummyKnight Wed 06-Aug-14 21:38:51

Has anyone got any suggestions please? I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

BikeRunSki Wed 06-Aug-14 21:41:11

Skoda Octavia estate, TDi

LynetteScavo Wed 06-Aug-14 21:48:59

I swear by my Renault Scenic, but am thinking of a Ford S-Max next, but if I only had one child I would be thinking of the Ford Kuga. Maybe the Audi Q5?

BotoxBitch Wed 06-Aug-14 21:49:52

Audi Q3 or Q5 if your wanting bigger

Longdistance Wed 06-Aug-14 22:01:20

I drive a Vauxhall Insignia Tourer. I love it. It has a massive boot you can get lost in. It's a 2.0tdi, manual transmission. Has isofix points as it's an 11 plate. We use it when we go up north to mils. The seats have always been comfy in the Insignia, as before I left to emigrate to Oz, I had a hatchback Insignia, which was the only place I could find comfortable to sit. Still find the seats comfortable.

I have driven many cars as my dh gets 'company' cars on a regular basis, and I must say, I prefer my Insignia over the Audi tourer any day.

Purplecircle Wed 06-Aug-14 22:02:31

Sounds like you need something higher up. What about a qashqai? I loved mine and i never had any issues with it?

Greenoes Wed 06-Aug-14 22:04:53

Vauxhall Mokka...changed my life grin

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 06-Aug-14 22:05:49

Our peugeot 5008 would fit the bill.

It's a bit higher up, so would help with your back but it's not too high for them to climb up to themselves as they get steadier on their feet.

The boot is massive - plenty of space for weekends away.

Isofix - tick

No problems with a second dc, and then space for them each to have a friend home from school too (thinking long term!)

I have got a 1.6 diesel which goes well and is easily within your car tax limit (can't remember what I paid, think it's about £140)

Artistic Wed 06-Aug-14 22:06:16

We looked at 4X4 for the same reason. After looking at BMWs & Audis we found that the Qashqai does the job equally well. Very comfy on long journeys & especially during pregnancy (getting in and out as well as upright seats). Recently had an 8 hour journey to Cornwall and the car was the best part of it - was really comfortable for me and for DC. Loads of space & great engine.

The only thing to be aware of (though not a showstopper) is that small children struggle a bit to climb into & out of a tall car purely coz of its high floor. Could be a bit of a challenge from ages 2-5 depending on the child.

MATB1 Wed 06-Aug-14 22:08:06

Peugeot 3008?

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Wed 06-Aug-14 22:09:31

Hyundai ix35
Nissan qashqai

I think something higher up might be better for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now