VW Golf 1.6 Diesel - anyone got one?

(15 Posts)

I've been offered this car for work. Does anyone have one and love or hate it?

I'm particularly interested in mpg and comfort over long distances.

Tia thanks

Yep. Wouldn't say I love it but its a very good car. Mpg I think we do about 500 per tank..... can you work it out!? I'm happy doing long journeys in it - Cornwall, France etc. Solid cars and reasonable boot space too. You could always test drive one at your local dealership wink

Thanks!

I have a VW polo at the moment and I really like it, just need a car with a bit more power I think.

BikeRunSki Wed 30-Jul-14 21:09:22

I have had one in the past, and several other VW-Audi-Skoda TDIs. Is it a TDI you've been offered or and ordinary diesel ? VW Diesel engines are really efficient in my experience - mid 40s mpg mixed driving, more for motorways. It's hard to be unhappy with a diesel Golf. They are not massively exciting, but they are far from dull.

I think an ordinary diesel but will get the full spec tomorrow. I need to pay a monthly contribution so trying to work out whether it makes sense financially

We went from a vw polo to a golf - and were not disappointed smile

ramrod757 Thu 31-Jul-14 11:29:22

Of course it's a turbo - it hasn't been possible to get a naturally aspirated Golf for quite a few years. It's an extremely dull car, so if you're having to make a contribution then a Focus or Astra is probably cheaper and just as dull.

WMittens Thu 31-Jul-14 17:27:59

If the company are paying for services and repairs (or if it's under warranty), fine.

ColouringInQueen

Mpg I think we do about 500 per tank..... can you work it out!?

Not without one other critical piece of information.

BikeRunSki

They are not massively exciting, but they are far from dull.

Slightly oxymoronic. If a person has only ever driven low-powered shopping trolley hatchbacks for comparison, then it probably won't seem dull. Or different. Anything more than that, then the Golf will probably feel very dull indeed.

WMittens Thu 31-Jul-14 17:33:21

BikeRunSki

Is it a TDI you've been offered or and ordinary diesel ?

A TDi might as well be considered a 'normal' diesel, there's generally nothing remarkable about them.

betold Thu 31-Jul-14 17:34:14

I have the 2.0 Bluemotion version, MPG is great but that's the Bluemotion bit. If you do a lot of miles then see if you can get that version. The 2l gets me 55MPG pottering about or doing over 70 on the motorway. The 1.6 is more efficient. If I do motorway miles and take it easy I can get 70MPG.

It's a reasonable size car, obviously bigger than the Polo so that shouldn't worry you. It's comfortable to drive and I like it (I moved to this from a much bigger car and I'm surprised what I can get into it and how it handles on the motorway)

BikeRunSki Thu 31-Jul-14 19:23:39

Ok, Ok, DH and I been driving VAG TDis for the last 6 or 7 years. I have had a non-TDi diesel in the past, but probably about 10 years ago. I appreciate that TDis are now "normal". They are they only choice we get for company lease cars.

ramrod757 Thu 31-Jul-14 19:40:35

* DH and I been driving VAG TDis for the last 6 or 7 years*

Jeez, you must've done something really bad to deserve that lol

WMittens Thu 31-Jul-14 19:51:23

TDi is just a VAG trademark, but fundamentally they're the same format as engines from other manufacturers - turbocharged, direct injection (hence the initialism). CDTi/CRDi/TDCi/D-4D/dCi/i-CTDi, it's all the same thing.

I like dull and reliable!

Thanks for all the advice and opinions

BikeRunSki Thu 31-Jul-14 20:21:24

Company cars. I have no issue with them at all, although I hated my A4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now