Renault scenic help needed - confused with various models!

(66 Posts)
Olaffles Wed 28-May-14 20:38:38

Really fancy a renault scenic, but confused as I've seen a megane scenic, dynamique scenic, grand scenic etc etc. Help! I'm looking for the 5 seater version that isn't massive!!

Helpys Wed 28-May-14 20:51:07

The grand scenic is great if you want to very occasionally have 7 seats. The last 2 aren't very comfy but the boot space (they fold away very easily)
Are you near a Renault garage? The best thing is probably to go and see the different sizes. Then draw up a short list of 2 or 3 and see what you can get cheapest.

Helpys Wed 28-May-14 20:51:43

Sorry 'the boot space is fantastic.'

Olaffles Wed 28-May-14 21:12:06

My local renault garage isn't very good, may have to drive to nearest city to have a look at a bigger renault garage.

Slightly complicated by the fact I need an automatic and they're few and far between. Very pleased boot space is fab, that's what I need really as it's our only car and we have holidays in uk and also need to fit bikes etc in. Does it feel much bigger to drive than an average family sized car?

Oodlives Wed 28-May-14 21:36:31

We had one and I liked it to drive BUT was ridiculously unreliable and every repair cost £500. Everything was electronic and needed things reset and overly complicated. We scrapped a 5 year old model as it got too expensive to repair snd no one would have it for spare or repair.
Scrap man said it's a regular

Olaffles Wed 28-May-14 21:58:54

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good Oodlives. Did you get something similar after your Scenic? Just thinking about what the alternatives would be?

Wolfiefan Wed 28-May-14 21:59:58

We too had a Scenic. Lots of expensive issues. (Was a few years ago.)

crashbangboom Wed 28-May-14 22:01:27

Don't get if you are using isofix car seats without checking the prop misses storage boxes or prop fully extends into box.

Olaffles Wed 28-May-14 22:02:52

I have 2 isofix seats - will check manuals and see if they fit. Thanks for that. Did you have issues with yours?

Olaffles Wed 28-May-14 22:13:43

Hmm well I've just checked the car seats out and one of them will only fit in the middle, with the other one needing to be at the side. Not keen on that arrangement, doesn't seem that safe having one in the middle somehow?! That's really put me off, I was all ready to test drive and buy one I've got my heart set on. Boo.

hugebagsisanunderstatement Wed 28-May-14 22:21:32

It's a Renault, don't need to say anymore! Steer clear, major electrical issues, regular one being windows stop working, 2 of my friends both have meganes n both their windows no longer work.

Olaffles Wed 28-May-14 22:24:29

Really are they that bad? Even newer models? Am stumped now.... May have to check out Citroens even though I vowed never to have one again after a disastrous saxo years ago!!

restandpeace Wed 28-May-14 22:25:30

Sorry mine was crap

Olaffles Wed 28-May-14 22:28:03

Crap seems to be general consensus. But they look nice and economical. Grrr

Shouldwego Wed 28-May-14 22:30:00

We have a grand scenic dynamique and it has been fine. We had a fiat multipla before that which was a bit of a nightmare.

It is longer than a standard car but not wider so tricky to park at times but not tricky to drive.

Dynamique etc refer to levels of trim and accessories rather than size. The 'grand' bit means it is 5+2 seats. The two back seats are for kids only but very handy for odd occasions.

Ours is now 5yrs old and hasn't had expensive repairs so far, touch wood. If money wasn't an object I would pick a ford s-max probably but the scenic has done us well.

crashbangboom Wed 28-May-14 22:30:25

I have a besafe erf in my 02 very old shape scenic. However I know it doesn't fit most isofix seats. Renault don't do fillers yet still put the useless things in family cars. Grr.

Middle seat is actually safest in an accident btw

Shouldwego Wed 28-May-14 22:31:31

Yes, we average 45mpg in ours which is decent for a car of that size. We also have a super economical zero road tax new fiesta which is meant to do a lot more mpg than that but in reality does 50mpg so really impressed with the scenic's fuel efficiency.

Olaffles Wed 28-May-14 22:53:55

Thanks for that re: mpg Shouldwego, seems very good.

Glad to hear some good things. Also surprised middle seat is safest! Need to do more research. Prob start a thread re: picassos following garage trawl at weekend!!

Was thinking about a ford but more expensive used. Like the focus but not sure the boot would be big enough for us.

Raskova Wed 28-May-14 23:03:54

I really would advise you don't buy one. They are incredibly cheap for a reason... They're shit. Like really shit. Read reviews of them anywhere.

Ford are more expensive because they are much more reliable. Though the 1.6tdci focus and c max from around 05-08 is a Peugeot engine. I had one. Truly shit. shock

Raskova Wed 28-May-14 23:06:18

Just seen your post re citroen. Again, stay away. I had a 53 plate Picasso for six months. Cost me more in repairs than it did to buy it and tax it. Don't buy French unless it's new.

restandpeace Thu 29-May-14 10:22:01

Id also geta ford if i had the money. Ive been advised dint buy french too.

ForeskinHyena Thu 29-May-14 10:26:05

I've had 2 Grand scenics (with the pop up 6&7th seats) mainly because of the great boot space. I haven't had any reliability issues, but have recently had 2 small accidents bumping into things while reversing as my driving the rear visibility is a bit bad. Consider parking sensors if you're not used to a big car! I always thought they were for morons, but now I realise they are actually very useful blush

beccajoh Thu 29-May-14 10:30:43

My parents bought us our Megane Scenic (2nd hand from a friend of theirs) and I wouldn't buy one again myself. In terms of size it's fine (it's the 5-sweater one you're after) but it just does lots of random things. I parked it in a field at a wedding and when I left five hours later the electrics had given up because it was a bit damp hmm. The other day we got stuck in a hospital car park because we were parked on a slight hill and the fuel ran to the other end of the tank (we had a third of a tank and it was only a very slight hill!) We couldn't then close the windows or lock the doors, because the engine wasn't on (WTAF?) The dashboard stopped working after a while, apparently a known problem for Renault, but starts again if you whack it.

Many more random things have happened but those are the ones that stick in my mind.

Oh yes and not being able to use the isofix because of the deep underfloor storage. Who designs a car that way? Utterly baffling!

beccajoh Thu 29-May-14 10:31:22

5-seater not sweater!

LIZS Thu 29-May-14 10:35:10

Not a Grand Scenic then. Megane Scenic was the original name , Dynamique et al is just the specification/edition name. We've had several , new and old shape. All have been fine with a variety of car seats. I don't like the automatic parking brake though ! Not cheap to service but good inside space, flexible and comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now