First car

(12 Posts)
Indecisive90 Sat 08-Mar-14 13:45:55

I've just passed my test after a lot of lessons and I'm looking to buy a car. I'm 23, not a mum and not planning on being one any time soon, but most of the car forums I've come across have been mainly men and I feel a bit silly having 'pretty' so far up my list of priorities. I just want something safe, reliable and nice so I thought this might be a good place to ask. Budget would be round about £5000 but other than looking on Arnold Clark I have no idea what I'm looking for for my money. Could anyone suggest something that might suit me? What sort of age and mileage would you suggest?

Maybe try a 2007/2008 plate, aim for 10k per year mileage, so under 50k on the clock preferably.

My first car was a Micra and I loved it so much I got a second one five years later. Ive now "upgraded" to an 08 fprd focus which is a great car.

Will ypu be doing much long distance or just "round the doors

Indecisive90 Sun 09-Mar-14 10:08:39

Thanks. I was looking at the Micra actually. Mainly just to and from work so about 15 miles each way. It's mostly town driving with a bit of motorway. I went to a few dealerships yesterday, the best deals seem to be on brand new cars on lease or PCP. I was offered good deals on the Ford Ka and Citroen C1 so I'm considering those.

Princessolipops Sun 09-Mar-14 10:11:56

Or a wee fiat500 it's a v small car, cheap to run and insure

PigletJohn Sun 09-Mar-14 10:17:33

The Japanese brands are generally much more reliable.

French and Italian aren't.

If buying used, fashion will affect the price, e.g. the small Peugeots and anything stylish will cost more.

Good deals are offered on cars the dealers are trying to shift.

Indecisive90 Sun 09-Mar-14 12:33:28

The Fiat 500 is lovely but it's more expensive on PCP. I'm not sure it's worth it. The used ones are out of my price range but that shows they do hold their value well. It's maybe a bit girly too, just about everyone my age has one.

Would the dealers be trying to shift the new cars? I've been trying to find the catch, I've basically been offered a brand new car for the same deposit and monthly payments as a 5 year old one. So far the only things I can see are they limit your mileage and you obviously don't own the car at the end but can trade it in for a guaranteed value. It also means I don't have to pay for servicing or get it MOTed cos the duration is three years.

First cars shouldn't be new. They almost invariably get bumped and scraped, so you should get your first years experience a cheap "old banger". A German or Japanese car that's around 8 years old with 60-80,000 should be quite cheap and still reliable.

A Toyota Aygo could be a great first car, if you don't need something bigger?

HermioneWeasley Sun 09-Mar-14 14:07:08

Toyota yaris or a small hyundai

WMittens Sun 09-Mar-14 17:40:09

the best deals seem to be on brand new cars on lease or PCP.

The best deal on getting new cars are often finance as opposed to cash; the best deal on a car is don't buy new. The deals purposely look good to entice you to buy a new car. Manufacturers want to shift new cars, not really sell you old ones; go to a non-franchised or secondhand dealer to get a comparison.

First cars shouldn't be new. They almost invariably get bumped and scraped, so you should get your first years experience a cheap "old banger".

This.

Even if you went for something from 12 to 18 months old, you could save in the region of 30% of the new price.

On the subject of the Fiat 500, the Ford Ka is practically the same car and is actually built by Fiat.

WMittens Sun 09-Mar-14 17:41:08

P.S. - research Arnold Clark's reputation before deciding whether you want to buy from them.

PigletJohn Sun 09-Mar-14 17:56:12

the Hyundais are a fantastic bargain new. We have a large local dealer. Their used cars are very expensive, I suspect that is to make buyers think they hold their value.

hollylollypop1 Sun 09-Mar-14 18:04:03

I was 23 when I passed my test and bought a SportKa. It was a 53 plate and had 60k on the clock but I absolutely love it, has never broken down and needed minimal repairs. It cost me 2.5k. About a week after I passed my test I got the passenger door wedged against a brick wall and got a huge dent and massive scrapes (down to the metal) blush and I was devastated. God knows how I would have felt if I had spent more money than I had. It's always worth getting a cheapish car for your first one as it is likely you will have a few dinks.

I've just bought a mini that is being delivered on Friday grin and I will be very sad to see the KA go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now