3 door car? With baby on way! Help please

(9 Posts)
Lilmizz Wed 05-Mar-14 06:16:23

Hey! I might be purchasing a ford fiesta zetec 2000. It is only a 3 door but it has such good miles only 40,000. I have baby due in April, does anyone know how difficult this will be when it comes to car seats and what's the best seat to buy for ford fiesta and newborn? Thanks so much! Xxx

drinkyourmilk Wed 05-Mar-14 06:20:47

I have an old Polo and manage fine with a 3 year old and baby. I just climb into the back footwell to fasten seat belts. My biggest problem is that pushchairs that fit in the boot easily are hard to find. We use a petite star zia that works really well. Also have a double Phil and teds. Fitting it in involves a fair amount if black magic, determination and disassembly.

lovetheseasons1 Wed 05-Mar-14 06:27:44

We have a three door car and a small baby. A car seat (maxi cosi cabrio fix) and a family isofix base went in ok / it means the front passenger seat is quite far forward but it's manageable. It is awkward taking the baby in and out especially going backwards but I have got used to it.

We bought a bugaboo bee plus pushchair which you can use with a cocoon from newborn and has been great. It folds pretty small and is light and just fits in the boot.

I am looking forward to buying a family car (5 door) as soon as we can afford it. It's really not that practical.

Felix90 Wed 05-Mar-14 06:36:38

We have a tiny 3 door Peugeot 206 and manage with our dd who is 10 weeks old. We got a Cosatto Giggle travel system and the frame just about fits in the boot and I climb in the footwell and strap her in the car seat with the seat belts. It was tricky the first time round and now it takes me about 30 seconds. The car seat even fits behind the drivers side and DP has his seat pulled right back as he's about 30ft tall.

AuditAngel Wed 05-Mar-14 06:41:37

I had a Saab convertible from before DC1 until about 3 months after having DC3. It helps that I am tall. I used a Mamas and Papas travel system which may not fit in your boot as it didn't umbrella fold, but the car seat has a base so you are not always fully threading seat belts.

Lamu Wed 05-Mar-14 07:09:04

I wouldn't buy a 3 door if you haven't bought it already.

DH has a BMW three series, his pride and joy that he's managed to keep hold of despite it being completely impractical. I found it fine lifting a newborn/6 month old into the back but at 12 months+ It was a bit of a faff. Dd is now 2.5 and can climb in herself so just needs strapping in. With Dc2 on the way the car is definitely going and being replaced with a 5 door.

Fattyfattyyumyum Wed 05-Mar-14 07:13:02

If you haven't bought it yet then don't!

5 doors will make life so much easier. I'm just swapping mine now dd is 1 and needs next stage seat which doesn't come out of the car with her.

Lilmizz Wed 05-Mar-14 08:31:56

Thank you everyone!! Yeah I just don't know, I could get a five door which would cost more with more mileage! If I could get off with 3 door for even the first year? I was thinking of baby seat rear facing in the middle so I can jump in seat beside him to fasten him. Plus I wouldn't be using car seat as carrier. Does anyone know what car seat fits well in fiesta 2000? Xx smile

fourlegstwolegs Thu 06-Mar-14 13:27:24

FIVE DOORS! You will lose a ton of money buying a three door, keeping it a year, selling it, buying a five door. Don't worry about the mileage provided it has a full, timely, comprehensive service history.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now