Anybody drive a fiat 500 with a duologic gearbox?

(4 Posts)
VelvetDuvet Thu 27-Feb-14 18:31:49

I passed my test in a manual but have driven an automatic since and I'm a bit reluctant terrified now to go back to a manual. I love the fiat 500 but understand that it's not classed as a full automatic and just wondered if anyone could explain the difference or give an indication what they're like to drive.

VelvetDuvet Thu 27-Feb-14 20:52:10

Bump

WMittens Thu 27-Feb-14 21:03:48

I've not driven one but an Autocar review www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/fiat/500/first-drives/fiat-500-1.2-dualogic was not exactly showering praise on it.

Technically, it's a manual gearbox with a computer controlling the clutch and gear changes instead of the driver. In reality, it's not massively different from a traditional auto. The article makes some mention of needing to have your foot on the brake before it will engage (not sure whether that means Drive mode overall, or just engaging first gear at a standstill), possibly causing frustration in stop-start traffic. You won't get the usual auto creep.

VelvetDuvet Thu 27-Feb-14 21:41:54

Thanks for that, guess the only way to find out how it feels is to try one out smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now