Anyone sold a car privately?

(6 Posts)
nothernexposure Wed 19-Feb-14 22:02:05

20 plus years since I last did this so I need to remind myself how to do it safely! I'm hoping to get around £3000 so I want to make sure I do get paid. It used to be cash or bankers draft, is this still the case or have things moved on with technology?!

Also how do I keep myself safe during the viewings? I'll keep my mobile charged and on me at all times, let DH know if I'm off with someone. I remember you shouldn't let them test drive the car without you as you may never see them or the car again! Anything else I should be doing? Meeting them in the local pub car park so it's a public place?

If anyone could help that would be great thanks.

BackforGood Wed 19-Feb-14 22:10:23

Er - I did the weekend before last, but for just over 10% of the value, so it was always going to be a cash deal.
I felt quite comfortable with the young couple that came, so just drove off with the for the test drive. My dd said if anyone came who looked dodgy, she would sneakily take a picture of them on her mobile phone before letting me drive off with them grin
They came to my house, that's where they had seen the notice in the car window anyway.

Twinkletron Wed 19-Feb-14 22:25:05

I let my DH do the viewings and subtly dropped in that he was a copper when speaking to them on the phone to arrange viewings.

BrianTheMole Wed 19-Feb-14 22:28:35

I'd want cash, not a bankers draft. Depending on how far the bank was, I might ask them to come with me to deposit the money before signing the car over, just to check the notes were ok. I did this recently, although it was for more than £3000.

nothernexposure Wed 19-Feb-14 22:56:17

Oh bugger, had forgotten about DS, will have to take him on test drives with me (half term and no alternative childcare). Although possibly he might act as a deterrent, he talks so much and will ask so many questions if it's anyone dodgy they'll run screaming after 10 minutes of his for of torture! Good point about going to the bank to check the notes, do people really turn up with 3K plus in cash?

BrianTheMole Thu 20-Feb-14 01:17:43

They do turn up with 3k+. Eeek. Make sure the notes are good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now