I'm in love with my new car....

(39 Posts)
Tabby1963 Wed 15-Jan-14 22:25:18

I bought her with birthday money and savings and she's wonderful to drive; big, stong, powerful, but gentle too. She's 7, nearly 8 years old but immaculate. I glide to work now and get such a thrill grin. My DH has not yet had a go but is desperate to and I will let him drive her at the weekend.

I have never felt this much attachment to a car, it's weird. I feel so protective and don't want to park anywhere remotely dodgy in case she gets 'hurt'. Bloody looney. I have told the cats that I will cut their paws of if they dare to sleep on her bonnet...

There must be someone here on mn who gets what I am saying or am I a lost cause, I don't care.

Bartman Sat 18-Jan-14 20:01:57

Yes WM you're right about the definition of jerk - it was incorrectly explained to me. Obviously power is derived from torque and RPM. Any way the point that I'm making on a massive tangent from the OP is that the sensation of fast acceleration that one experiences in a slow car (usually a tdi or low power turbo petrol) is due to the high rate of change of torque - it is that which tricks the mind.

Tabby1963 she is a Picasso so nothing special lol but my dd loves her so much she cried in the car showroom and refused to even look at the new cars with us. Our POC (precious old car) is comfortable in the garage while I use the drive for the new car and DH is forced to park on the road grin

WMittens Sat 18-Jan-14 09:14:57

Bartman

More accurately it's the rate of change of torque (or jerk)

Just read that properly: jerk is not the rate of change of torque, it is the rate of change of acceleration. As mentioned, acceleration is proportional to power, so if anything jerk would be equivalent to rate of change of power.

Torque output can remain constant as a car accelerates, if the engine has a flat torque curve; the power then increases proportionally with revs (and therefore so does acceleration, i.e. jerk).

NeatFreak Fri 17-Jan-14 22:44:37

When I walk back from the school run (gutted it's not further so I have to drive) I look at all the cars in the cul de sac and conclude that mine is nicer. Every time. I even cleaned the baby's hands and face before putting her in the car seat as she has rice cake crumbs and I didn't want to mark the upholstery.

Give it three months and it'll look as disgusting as my old car did!

Tabby1963 Fri 17-Jan-14 17:43:38

neat grin, I stand and look at mine from the upstairs window. I am thinking of calling her Gloria, courtesy of Lunatic smile. Husband rolled his eyes when I mentioned this. He is getting to drive her tonight when we go to Glasgow to see Top Gear Live (his xmas pressie from me).

tooearly, aww, what type of car was she?

NeatFreak Fri 17-Jan-14 16:22:15

I am exactly the same... Bought new car last week and I keep inventing excuses to go out in it. It's so lovely and shiny and even smells nice grin

I hope you and your car are very happy together.

We all loved my last car so much that when we upgraded we put her into retirement in the garage. My dd would have been traumatised if we part-exd her, she was part of the family grin

Tabby1963 Fri 17-Jan-14 15:53:46

Mittens and Bartman you are both getting very technical here grin, I'm impressed if uncomprehending.

littleredsquirrel, will you be able to afford another one? Hope the X-Trail Angel is shining good fortune upon you smile.

WMittens Fri 17-Jan-14 14:54:25

it's the rate of change of torque (or jerk)

And if we're going to be derivative, jounce is the rate of change of jerk.

littleredsquirrel Fri 17-Jan-14 09:00:38

I LOVE my xtrail too. Its nearly dead but I'm hanging on to it for dear life getting every last drop of juice from it. We live in the sticks and it bounces its way up mud trails and through pot holes quite happily (probably why its nearly dead)

Bartman Fri 17-Jan-14 08:58:08

More accurately it's the rate of change of torque (or jerk) that fools the body.

Bartman Fri 17-Jan-14 07:25:41

You are correct but I'm not talking about the actual acceleration. I'm talking about perceived acceleration - ever driven a tdi and thought 'this goes well' when it's actually quite a slow car?

WMittens Thu 16-Jan-14 22:12:51

Bartman

... it's the torque that you feel as you accelerate

No, that would be power - acceleration is proportionate to power (for a given gear ratio).

Tabby1963 Thu 16-Jan-14 22:05:18

Yes Bartman, it is 2.2, my error; the 2.5 diesel is actually a 16V I believe.

I am not bothered about cars being 'fast' in relation to bombing down the motorway (they're always going on about speed in car programmes aren't they?), as I usually do a steady 60 to conserve fuel, but I certainly do appreciate her performance up hills. I am looking forward to my next visit to family in Wales in the coming months anyway (300 miles) smile.

Bartman Thu 16-Jan-14 19:59:08

My mistaken assumption then - the 2.5 is petrol, if yours is a diesel then it's the 2.2 I'm guessing rather than the later 2.0. The fact that it's a diesel is why it pulls easily up hills - not much power but plenty of low down torque which again is what you need in heavy SUV and it's the torque that you feel as you accelerate which is what can give the mistaken belief that diesel cars are fast (some genuinely are). I've driven diesels which feel faster than petrol cars that would absolutely decimate them. Quite disappointing to get back in the fast petrol car as it just doesn't feel it!

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Thu 16-Jan-14 18:08:11

It has caused my DH must amusement!
I can't wait to get her, I still can't quite believe that she's all mine well technically she's the finance companies for 24 months then she's mine

Tabby1963 Thu 16-Jan-14 18:04:08

FTR, ffs you won't be forgetting your reg number then grin and great mileage too. In the early days of my research I looked at a Focus at my local Arnold Clark, it has a spacious boot, but I really hankered after a 4x4.

First car FTRsmile , I think I will start a thread asking about first car memories...

Thanks, Lizzy grin.

Lizzylou Thu 16-Jan-14 17:40:42

Enjoy your new car, Tabby.
You certainly sound like you have done your research wink

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Thu 16-Jan-14 17:40:21

I totally understand your excitement, I am going to collect my new car tomorrow, she is a light blue ford focus, almost 9 years old but with less than 30,000 miles on her clock, her reg number ends ffs and she is my very first car of my own smile

Tabby1963 Thu 16-Jan-14 17:39:38

Bartman, I know about the timing chain issue, there was a recall. I had it checked before buying anyway. She is a diesel car.

Bartman Thu 16-Jan-14 16:55:52

Well it's not a powerful car that much is fact rather than opinion. It's quite a lazy 2.5 petrol which is good in that type of car - it's how it delivers its power which is making it easier to climb hills. Power aside though they are great cars - think the only thing to be aware of on the petrols is potential timing chain failure. Not sure what you can do to prevent it buy might be worth a Google.

Longdistance Thu 16-Jan-14 16:32:40

I had an X-trail when I lived in Oz I didn't like it

But, congratulations on your car. It's a great feeling when you find a car you like.

Tabby1963 Thu 16-Jan-14 16:18:17

Bartman, compared to my previous cars she's very powerful grin.

I have to disagree about being delusional about feeling her power, she has a 2.5 litre engine and takes the steep hills around where I live and work with no effort at all, a far cry from my previous cars who needed encouragement; an absolute pleasure to drive in every way, so comfortable. I love driving her and have never 'loved' driving before, it's always been a means to an end.

blatent untruths? Hmmm, my opinion surely [sceptical].

I've told my DH he can drive it at the weekend, he hasn't had a look in so far his little face lit up when I told him, bless. He's a really good driver so I know she'll be safe in his hands.

Bartman Thu 16-Jan-14 13:52:02

Just being honest and correcting blatant untruths exactly as I would face to face - rather than the emperor's new clothes approach! Please enjoy your new car OP just don't believe it's something it's not!

SuzanneUK Thu 16-Jan-14 12:03:17

Bartman,

You're being a pain in the X-Trail.

Stop it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now