I'm in love with my new car....

(39 Posts)
Tabby1963 Wed 15-Jan-14 22:25:18

I bought her with birthday money and savings and she's wonderful to drive; big, stong, powerful, but gentle too. She's 7, nearly 8 years old but immaculate. I glide to work now and get such a thrill grin. My DH has not yet had a go but is desperate to and I will let him drive her at the weekend.

I have never felt this much attachment to a car, it's weird. I feel so protective and don't want to park anywhere remotely dodgy in case she gets 'hurt'. Bloody looney. I have told the cats that I will cut their paws of if they dare to sleep on her bonnet...

There must be someone here on mn who gets what I am saying or am I a lost cause, I don't care.

SuzanneUK Wed 15-Jan-14 22:38:55

Are you going to tell us what sort of car it is????

Dontlaugh Wed 15-Jan-14 22:39:33

Spec it out and spare no detail....

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tabby1963 Wed 15-Jan-14 22:46:39

She's a Nissan X-Trail Adventurer. I narrowed it down to that make or a Toyota RAV 4, both which have consistently good reviews according to my research.

Got to give her a name...

Tabby1963 Wed 15-Jan-14 22:48:49

Ah Luntic, I feel your pain. What was your old car?

SuzanneUK Wed 15-Jan-14 22:50:13

I have friends with X-Trails and friends with Rav4s.

You can't go far wrong with either.

Super choice!

Tabby1963 Wed 15-Jan-14 22:51:18

Was considering "Hippo" briefly because she glides effortlessly and serenely, but then thought that people might think I'm referring to me lol not even joking.

Tabby1963 Wed 15-Jan-14 22:55:08

Then thought of "Shark" because of the power I can feel in her waiting to be unleashed. But then I just think of Jaws, too scary.

Tabby1963 Thu 16-Jan-14 06:36:46

Oooh, Gloria! I like that name. Will have a think over the weekend, see how it feels grin.

Bartman Thu 16-Jan-14 09:29:21

Bit of an odd car to get a thrill out of driving but each to his/her own! Good dependable vehicle though and comfortable long distance. Only downsides are possibly a little thirsty (but then most of these types are) and certainly not powerful - nearly spat my tea out at the power waiting to be unleashed. It has I assume a small diesel engine which combined with a big heavy car makes it a bit of a slug.

Bartman Thu 16-Jan-14 10:14:35

Not really pissing on anyone's chips. The Xtrail is an excellent choice of vehicle - reliable, comfortable and a pleasant place to be. It is however not something that many people would describe as thrilling but as I say each to their own - the world would be a boring place if we all like the same thing. It's delusional to describe it as powerful or to talk of the power about to be unleashed though - that really made me chuckle. I thought these kind of comments were reserved for knobs in their 2 litre tdi Audi "rocket ships"

SuzanneUK Thu 16-Jan-14 12:03:17

Bartman,

You're being a pain in the X-Trail.

Stop it.

Bartman Thu 16-Jan-14 13:52:02

Just being honest and correcting blatant untruths exactly as I would face to face - rather than the emperor's new clothes approach! Please enjoy your new car OP just don't believe it's something it's not!

Tabby1963 Thu 16-Jan-14 16:18:17

Bartman, compared to my previous cars she's very powerful grin.

I have to disagree about being delusional about feeling her power, she has a 2.5 litre engine and takes the steep hills around where I live and work with no effort at all, a far cry from my previous cars who needed encouragement; an absolute pleasure to drive in every way, so comfortable. I love driving her and have never 'loved' driving before, it's always been a means to an end.

blatent untruths? Hmmm, my opinion surely [sceptical].

I've told my DH he can drive it at the weekend, he hasn't had a look in so far his little face lit up when I told him, bless. He's a really good driver so I know she'll be safe in his hands.

Longdistance Thu 16-Jan-14 16:32:40

I had an X-trail when I lived in Oz I didn't like it

But, congratulations on your car. It's a great feeling when you find a car you like.

Bartman Thu 16-Jan-14 16:55:52

Well it's not a powerful car that much is fact rather than opinion. It's quite a lazy 2.5 petrol which is good in that type of car - it's how it delivers its power which is making it easier to climb hills. Power aside though they are great cars - think the only thing to be aware of on the petrols is potential timing chain failure. Not sure what you can do to prevent it buy might be worth a Google.

Tabby1963 Thu 16-Jan-14 17:39:38

Bartman, I know about the timing chain issue, there was a recall. I had it checked before buying anyway. She is a diesel car.

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Thu 16-Jan-14 17:40:21

I totally understand your excitement, I am going to collect my new car tomorrow, she is a light blue ford focus, almost 9 years old but with less than 30,000 miles on her clock, her reg number ends ffs and she is my very first car of my own smile

Lizzylou Thu 16-Jan-14 17:40:42

Enjoy your new car, Tabby.
You certainly sound like you have done your research wink

Tabby1963 Thu 16-Jan-14 18:04:08

FTR, ffs you won't be forgetting your reg number then grin and great mileage too. In the early days of my research I looked at a Focus at my local Arnold Clark, it has a spacious boot, but I really hankered after a 4x4.

First car FTRsmile , I think I will start a thread asking about first car memories...

Thanks, Lizzy grin.

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Thu 16-Jan-14 18:08:11

It has caused my DH must amusement!
I can't wait to get her, I still can't quite believe that she's all mine well technically she's the finance companies for 24 months then she's mine

Bartman Thu 16-Jan-14 19:59:08

My mistaken assumption then - the 2.5 is petrol, if yours is a diesel then it's the 2.2 I'm guessing rather than the later 2.0. The fact that it's a diesel is why it pulls easily up hills - not much power but plenty of low down torque which again is what you need in heavy SUV and it's the torque that you feel as you accelerate which is what can give the mistaken belief that diesel cars are fast (some genuinely are). I've driven diesels which feel faster than petrol cars that would absolutely decimate them. Quite disappointing to get back in the fast petrol car as it just doesn't feel it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now