New yaris - help clueless!!

(19 Posts)
AKAK81 Wed 11-Dec-13 09:32:37

Oh and BTW your precious VW recalled 2.6 million cars just last month!

AKAK81 Wed 11-Dec-13 09:29:27

The thing is Milly is that the Japanese manufacturers are a lot more honourable when it comes to things like recalls. Other manufacturers do things a little more quietly. I suggest you take a look at reliability surveys if you really think that VW are well built. In the latest 2012 one I read VW are 20th, Toyota are 2nd. If you really think that a Polo is fun to drive then you are utterly deluded. It is the absolute epitome of dullness. If it were a colour it would be magnolia. Don't expect a Yaris to be fun to drive either though. There are plenty of fun used cars around for the same price as a new Yaris but I don't think that's what the OP wants.

AskAQuestion Wed 11-Dec-13 01:18:30

I have a yaris & love it. It's not sporty or fancy but it's perfect for us.Economical, roomy enough for loads of camping gear, DC & the dog.

I really like the driving position.

before this, I had... a Yaris. So that makes about 8 years of owning a yaris (my phone wants to correct yaris to tardis!) &, apart from 2 recalls(!), I've had no problems at all.

Have also owned fiestas & a Chevrolet (when I lived in the USA) but would always consider a yaris when replacing my current one.

MillyMollyMama Wed 11-Dec-13 01:12:30

Some of the millions of people who have had recalls on their Toyotas might disagree with you AKA. I might not actually take a car apart (most people don't) but I do know how a car drives, how solid a car feels and whether a car is fun to drive or not. I am not so shallow as to be fooled by marketing and why would that be different as to believing all Japanese cars are reliable and well built. As Toyota have proved, this is not the case at the moment.

AKAK81 Tue 10-Dec-13 02:31:22

You are mistaking feel and perceived build quality and marketing hype for actual build quality. A Golf is not a well built car - pretty mediocre in fact. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Tell me - how many German and Japanese cars have you taken apart? I'm guessing none. I've yet to find a German car that's better built than a Japanese one. I currently own 2 German cars by the way so I'm in no way a German hater.

NoComet Tue 10-Dec-13 00:46:44

If you can get a bank loan that may be cheaper than the car dealers.

There are always loads of nearly new ex fleet cars about. I'm certain DH and I's are year old ex company cars.

The old Yaris was cute, DSIS fiesta is gorgeous, (DH and I have focuses, but they are to big for your needs).

MillyMollyMama Tue 10-Dec-13 00:11:50

Actually no. I tried out both and read extensive reviews from several sources before we bought a Polo for our daughter. We thought we wanted a Yaris and therefore spent some time exploring its good and poorer aspects. The Yaris drums along the road, is boring to drive with little personality and is definitely less well built. The Polo is nearer Golf quality. I would seriously look at the cars in the class you want with the best reviews by experts and go for a short list of ones where depreciation is less. There are few truly bad cars but there are plenty of boring ones which will do the job but never bring a smile to your face. Owning a car should give you pleasure as well as just seeing it as a vehicle that gets you from A to B. Actually I love Minis but I thought this might be too expensive for the OP.

AKAK81 Mon 09-Dec-13 11:10:52

So what's the actual deal? Deposit, duration final payment etc. A Yaris is much better built than a Polo it's just that Germans do perceived build quality better than anyone else.

MillyMollyMama Sat 07-Dec-13 18:32:55

Not sure about finance, but the Yaris is not a particularly brilliant car in the super mini class. We found it functional and very plasticky. We thought there was a lot of road noise and we were not impressed. We have a VW Polo for DD which although not wonderfully exciting, is much better built and drives like a much more expensive car. A Yaris will be reliable but frankly most newish cars are reliable these days. I would look at nearly new too but you can get brilliant new deals from some garages. You must shop around though.

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sat 07-Dec-13 12:57:24

On nearly new!!

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sat 07-Dec-13 12:57:14

I think the apr is 5%

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sat 07-Dec-13 12:56:29

You have a really good point about nearly new and financing - even with the apr a nearly new may be better value!

mrssmith79 Sat 07-Dec-13 12:44:58

Just daft personal reasons op - nothing sinister! I've just always preferred large cars. Like I said, I know a couple of people with Yarises (Yarii??) and they speak really highly of them. Google Parkers new car prices, they're excellent for accurate valuations.

Follyfoot Sat 07-Dec-13 12:44:18

Might you end up better off getting a nearly new Yaris and a loan? By the time you take depreciation into account from when you drive off the forecourt, the 0% finance they are enticing you with may not be such a good deal. As an example, there are some nearly new Yaris' here

I have a yaris. V dependable, cheap to run and roomy for a small car. I love it smile
Not sure about buying new, I couldn't. It's so much money for a car to just depreciate in 12 months. I got mine second hand for about £1000. Have you looked to see what bargains are out there? Could you definitely not afford second hand?

eurochick Sat 07-Dec-13 12:36:56

You can get finance for second hand cars too. They you wouldn't lose as much through depreciation.

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sat 07-Dec-13 12:33:12

Thanks mrssmith - the rail commute for dh's new job would be 5-6k, so we have to have a car for him, but I will have to have the old run around for the dc. Good idea to look at auto trader - going to local garage today, so I guess I get a price and then ring around.

Would be interested to know why you aren't a fan?

Reason we are thinking yaris is because of the deal and as SIL has a yaris and she has found it ultra dependable and v fuel efficient. Not my dream car, but we are v low on savings as DH was made redundant twice in one year shock

mrssmith79 Sat 07-Dec-13 12:25:01

Parkers or autotrader websites? Don't forget though that new cars depreciate massively in the first year. A lot of reputable used car dealers (stoneacre etc) also do 0% with low deposit. Have a hunt about.
Fwiw, I'm not a yaris fan but understand from others that they're fairly dependable.

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sat 07-Dec-13 12:01:13

Me and DH have never bought a car (current car was old and through family).

Local garage has a good deal - yaris 0% finance, £199/month, 1 year insurance free.

We don't have much savings so can't buy second hand. How do we check if it's a fair price for the particular model new? Do we look on which for reliability?

Any advice much appreciated!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now