What car? Need large 7 seater for 4 children, scooters, buggies, luggage etc.

(28 Posts)
ooheewallawallabingbang Tue 08-Oct-13 09:31:59

Hi there,

Any of you with 4 or more children -

We're looking for a 7+ seater car that can EASILY take 4 or more children, luggage, buggies, scooters etc., with easy access getting the children in and out of car seats.

We've thought of the VW Caravelle..?

Any thoughts or suggestions v welcome!

Thx!

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Tue 08-Oct-13 10:30:43

Hi ooheewallawallabingbang. I'm sure you'll get some suggestions from other Mumsnetters soon, but in the meantime you might want to check you're familiar with what the new car showrooms have to offer by reading Mumsnet Cars' expert reviews of all the seven-seaters (actually includes a couple of eight-seaters) you can buy new, at www.mumsnet.com/cars/reviews/seven-seater-cars - bearing in mind that you can always go and buy a second-hand version for considerably less money. Also, don't miss our list of the [[www.mumsnet.com/cars/info/news/10-best-seven-seaters best 10 seven-seaters]. Hope this all helps with your decision-making.

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Tue 08-Oct-13 10:31:31
ooheewallawallabingbang Wed 09-Oct-13 10:53:52

Thanks, that's great!

kronenborg Wed 16-Oct-13 08:47:42

im afraid i dont think any of the vehicles in that link really match your requirements - once you need space for 4 or more kids (presumably plus 2 adults, at least on occasion) with luggage, then you really are into the realm of caravelles, transporters and the like.

you might just manage it in a ford galaxy, but the luggage space wont be enormous (although better than most of the other standard people carriers)

We have four children and use Chrysler grand voyager. We can pack to go away for a couple of weeks in it without losing the seventh seat or using a roof box or trailer. The down is the safety rating, which has improved (we don't actually own ours so don't get much choice)
Prior to that we had an older disco, we managed with that too though it was a little tighter

Poledra Wed 16-Oct-13 08:53:26

I have a Galaxy and 3 kids. When I use all 7 seats, I could still get my double buggy in the boot and a few bits of shopping but not much else. I certainly couldn't use all 7 seats and still fit in luggage for a holiday for 7 unless I added a roof box! However, friends of mine who have 4 kids can manage with a Galaxy as you still have the space for luggage where the seventh seat should be - I feel that you should invest in a luggage net then, to keep the luggage secure if you have to stop suddenly.

I agree with the pp who said you're really into Caravelle territory here. My sister has a Nissan Primastar, which is basically a van set out out as a minibus and that can take anything she throws at it!

aliceinapalace Wed 16-Oct-13 08:55:37

My seat Alhambra has some book space left with all 7 seats up and u can remove one seat if needed to give more buggy space. I really love mine and they are much cheaper than galaxy's. Not sure if it's big enough for you though.... I have 3 big carseats in a row in the second seat row if that helps with visualising the space

Fragglewump Wed 16-Oct-13 08:57:15

We have four kids and a dog and have a galaxy. It's been a great car and with the roof box has been perfect for holidays. But I'm now bored of it and and going to swap it for something a bit smaller.

throckenholt Wed 16-Oct-13 09:00:06

Two families I know who have 4 or more kids have caravelles and have had for years - so they must be reasonably good. When they need lots of luggage (eg camping trips) they put a trailer on the back as well.

We have a Kia sedona which would easily fit the 4 kids and some luggage but not lots (especially if you have buggies). We have 3 kids and 2 dogs, and usually manage us all, and loads of gear - think 3 bikes, wellies, coats, clothes, food, etc etc with a roofbox added - but it is packed to the gunnels - wouldn't want to contemplate it with 4 kids because it would use up half of the boot space as a seat for one child - not easy to pack loads around that combination (unless you build some kind of retaining wall between seat and remaining boot.

octanegirl Wed 16-Oct-13 13:21:46

X5 or Discovery and shoe horn them in!

largerleon Fri 18-Oct-13 18:58:05

We have 4 kids including 2 disabled & a 4yo who sometimes needs a pushchair. We have had an old battered Citroen Synergie for the last 7 years and i just bought a 07 reg peugeot 807 for £2500 grin
We can still cram in all 4 kids, 2 adults, both wheelchairs and the pushchair (a Maclaren Volo), a weeks worth of clothes for all of us, nappies, inhalers, a potty, 2 pairs of crutches, 5 bikes, a bike seat and trailer once a year to go away.
2 bikes on the roof bars, 3 bikes on the back rack, everything else crammed in the boot next to the remaining seat in the back. We also have 3 full size child car seats across the middle row. Hope this helps OP smile
PS the trailer is a bike trailer and packs flat

largerleon Fri 18-Oct-13 19:05:59

Forgot to say the added bonus with both the Synergie and the 807 is the sliding back doors, which I believe a Mazda 5 has too but is smaller and newer therefore more expensive. Cost was the major factor in our choice, we now have electric sliding doors (oooo) which is still a source of great excitement to the kids (along with the remote control locking which never worked in the old car!!).
Then we got awarded full rate mobility allowance for eldest DS so may consider upgrading in the future using the Motability scheme grin

heinztomatosoup Fri 18-Oct-13 19:10:34

Chrysler Grand Voyager - no contest

AnneElliott Fri 18-Oct-13 19:17:57

I have a ford s max. Slightly smaller than the galaxy but we live it. I only have DS but I have had 6 people, 2 buggies and shopping in it.

racmun Fri 18-Oct-13 19:21:43

Discovery is the way to go. So spacious and lovely to drive.

Artandco Fri 18-Oct-13 19:29:52

Honda pilot

YomAsalYomBasal Fri 18-Oct-13 19:54:55

VW Caravelle is the way forward. I would never have anything else now! Very flexible seating (including everyone in the back facing each other if you wish), large boot - would recommend long wheel base if you have buggies etc - and a dream to drive and park.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Fri 18-Oct-13 20:10:33

Volvo XC90. Proper seven seater with massive boot as well. Job done. wink

martinedwards Fri 18-Oct-13 20:44:17

we have 4 kids, the eldest is 6'4", #2 is 6'.

we have 2 Seat Alhambras.

middle seat out and we can fit all 6 of us and a cello without difficulty.

we have enough room for luggage for a couple of days away (up the middle.... very little behind the back row) , but if we're going for a week, then the roof box goes on.

bellevue Fri 18-Oct-13 20:54:10

Definitely go for a caravelle. I love ours. It's so easy to get everyone in, you don't have to fold yourself in four and get your fingers stuck between car seats and buckles trying to strap everyone in, you don't get stuck in the rain while you wait for number three to make his stately progress to his seat in the back far corner... And, when you have to stop because one of them has dropped their raisin, you can walk through to the back and pluck it easily from the crevice without having to open two doors, stop things falling out onto the road, and spend half an hour in the semi-gloom feeling for the damn thing. We have everyone facing each other in the back, so they can chat away like executives on a business meeting and you can mind your own business in the front. And anyway, you can't really hear them yelling from the back. And you can squeeze everything including the kitchen sink in them. We've just moved to Dubai and are having to suffer a Kia Carnival. It's hell. Someone hurts themselves getting in or out every day. Usually me.
Amen.

Ooddoyouthinkyouare Fri 18-Oct-13 21:05:00

We have a Mazda Bongo. Think they're similar size to a Caravelle?

Moomoomie Fri 18-Oct-13 21:17:33

Mazda Bongo here too. Love it!

Quick question about the caravelle. If you want all the seats in the back are some of them always facing backwards?

sweetkitty Fri 18-Oct-13 21:26:48

We have 4 DC and a Citreon C8, 7 proper seats, when we had the double buggy we took one of the rear seats out and had bags of room. We had all 7 seats in and a Maclaren in the back could get quite a lot in it as well. It has electric rear sliding doors as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now