Wouldn't it be nice to read original road tests here? Written by women?

(10 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

octanegirl Wed 25-Sep-13 20:17:48

I'm trying to champion women in motoring - and to that end I'd much rather see original (female written) content in the car reviews here, rather than reading generic road tests bought from WhatCar.
Would people like that? There are enough female motoring journalists out there to do it (myself included).
Opinions?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Sep-13 12:45:15

Hi Octanegirl,

Thanks for your post. As it happens, we agree with you about female motoring writers – there definitely aren't enough of them around!

We just wanted to flag up, though, that the expert car reviews at Mumsnet Cars are not 'bought in' from What Car?. They are co-written by What Car? journalists and the Mumsnet Cars editor (a woman motoring journalist with two young children), and they are totally and utterly exclusive to Mumsnet Cars <shakes pom-poms>.

However, if you (or any other MNer) want to get involved, we'd absolutely love it if you could review a car here. Please do spread the word...

Thanks
MNHQ

octanegirl Tue 01-Oct-13 17:25:46

I see - I guess the branding implies it's all What Car content. There's so much potential for features and more - maybe the editor and I should speak!

WMittens Tue 01-Oct-13 18:13:18

Get VBH on board, that would be amazing! www.butler-henderson.com/index.php?page=writing

BlackMogul Tue 01-Oct-13 23:19:17

Yes to women but..... I see so many Mumsnetters asking for comments on "family" cars that I feel they are a long way off my interests. Also the professional car journalists can compare cars because they drive a lot of them. I do want to know how a car handles and not just how many cup holders it has for a baby's bottle! If you can cover all bases, for an interesting variety of cars, (please not just cheap city/mpv type cars) I might be interested. I would certainly volunteer to road test something!

octanegirl Wed 02-Oct-13 09:32:42

BlackMogul we are on the same page. I am a motoring journalist and drive an awful lot of very good cars (the higher end of the market, I know I'm lucky!). While I do have an eye on practicality and real life, the focus of my reviews are always on the car itself and how well it does what is was designed to do, not about the number of cup holders ;)
I'm afraid I hate people carriers which is probably not very mumsnetty, but think you can have a cool, practical car without having to resign yourself to a life of driving a van with windows.... I've shoehorned by baby into a wide variety of two door coupes!

BlackMogul Wed 02-Oct-13 18:57:26

Octanegirl. Thank God there are a few of us out there. Hopefully more than a few. I have absolutely refused to go down the "we have a family so we must have van" route and have enjoyed our variety of cars over the years. If you need a bit of additional female input, I am interested!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now