Best way to sell an older car?

(5 Posts)
lotsofcheese Mon 23-Sep-13 19:45:13

I've got an 05 plate Astra, which is becoming unreliable & I'd like to sell it, as it's been in the garage a lot this year, costing lots of money.

We already have a new-ish Volvo, so won't be trading it in.

Whar's

lotsofcheese Mon 23-Sep-13 19:52:05

Oops, DS (4) got hold of the IPad & posted for me!

Was asking what's the best way to sell? I've sold privately through Autotrader before, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the hassle. Plus I don't have confidence in the car myself & would be worried about it "dying" on a new owner within a short period of time.

Have considered "We Buy Any Car" but not sure about that either.

Any suggestions?

WMittens Mon 23-Sep-13 20:31:36

It depends on how much you hope/want/need from the sale. WBAC is probably less hassle but will knock big money off the offer unless you declare every single individual minute blemish; you could put it on ebay starting at 99p with no reserve and see what it goes for. Or try Gumtree.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 23-Sep-13 20:45:49

WBAC will give you sod all for it.

I sold my ten year old car recently on Autotrader. Listed it as honestly as I could with a sensible price. I listed it on the Thursday afternoon, I had four phonecalls over the weekend and it was gone by Monday.

I found it all very simple. It gives you options as to spec etc from drop down menus so you can't go too wrong. I cleaned the car from top to bottom and took nice pictures. Easy peasy. Good luck. smile

lotsofcheese Mon 23-Sep-13 21:04:08

Thanks!

I did an online quote with WBAC & they have quoted £1875, and I think they would knock a bit off it as it has some superficial scratches near the boot & on the alloys. I also did an online search on EBay for similar models through dealers was around £4k - so I suppose it's real value is somewhere in between.

I guess Autotrader might be the way to go; I've done it before so I know the drill....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now