Am I mad to want a Fiat 500 (with 2 children)?

(33 Posts)
lexie01 Sun 08-Sep-13 18:49:24

My dh thinks so! I have been admiring (from a distance) these cars for soooo long and am now in a position to buy a new car. I would absolutely love to buy the fiat 500s but I have 2 children of primary age and my dh thinks rear space would be very cramped. I currently have a Beetle so am used to 3 doors but would I regret my decision?

Hulababy Thu 28-Nov-13 18:45:09

DH is 6 foot 2. We can just get behind him when he is driving, but no leg room to spare! Can get behind him in passenger seat as he can sit further forward.

qazxc Thu 28-Nov-13 18:48:24

It would be big enough but i don't find them a very nice drive and they have a really crap turning circle.

IamInvisible Thu 28-Nov-13 18:50:41

I couldn't get behind DH, nor could the salesman. We have 2 teens who are 6ft3, so it was not practical at all. We wanted it as a 2nd car. I am interested in the 500L seven seater for when we change the main car.

My point really was that even if the children are relatively short now, being primary age, they are still growing and if the OP and/or her DH are tallish or have long legs then it might not be a practical car in quite a short space of time. When I finally get my new car (it has been a long time in the deciding) I intend to keep it 10 yrs so my two DSs will be fully grown by then and I really need to think ahead which is partly what is making the decision so hard. The 500 is out though. Besides, I do some longish trips and whilst they are great around town, I wouldn't want to go far on the motorway in one.

Hulababy Thu 28-Nov-13 20:34:01

Qasxc - really? I can turn my car in a busy street very easily. And it is very light on the steering ESP in city mode.

I'm desperately hoping my new Mini is going to be as nice. I love the idea of the mini so fingers crossed

aciddrops Mon 09-Dec-13 18:38:12

I have one plus 3 kids. I'm trading it in for a 500L because the 500 is not big enough and when fully loaded is as slow as molasses!

Lovely when I'm in it in town on my own though. Not good for motorway driving.

Hulababy Mon 09-Dec-13 22:11:03

My little 500 goes back tomorrow.
Looking forward to my new car but sad to see Bubbles leave!

Amateurish Sun 05-Jan-14 12:03:02

If you want one, go for it. They are pretty little cars, and the twinnair is a quality little engine and probably the best choice if you will use it for mostly shorter journeys. The Panda is essentially the same car for less money, but life is short.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now