Removing Sunscreen from Paintwork

(8 Posts)
CalamityGin Tue 03-Sep-13 12:27:49

can it be done? is there an off the shelf product that will do this without stripping the paint off?

posted in chat but thought I might have more luck here

WMittens Tue 03-Sep-13 12:32:16

What's happened with it? Has it dried solid, or something?

I wasn't aware sunscreen was particularly adhesive, doesn't it just wipe off?

CalamityGin Tue 03-Sep-13 12:51:32

nope, it doesn't wipe off and a normal wash hasn't helped. To be fair it's been on there about 6 weeks blush it's waterproof sunscreen so I expect that has something to do with it.

It's a white smear on the paintwork, looks like it has "soaked in"

AKAK81 Tue 03-Sep-13 23:39:18

Could be tricky. I'd try an alcohol wipe first and if that fails then you could try a cutting compound. There is a possibility that it could have caused some damage to the paint.

CalamityGin Wed 04-Sep-13 09:23:57

not sure what "cutting a compound" entails AKA but thanks for the advice. Not sure what an alcohol wipe is either (handbag sized wipe soaked in G&T for those moments of desperation? grin) but that's what google is for innit

AKAK81 Wed 04-Sep-13 11:17:36

An easily available cutting compound would be something like t-cut. As for alcohol wipes they have quite a wide variety of uses - mainly for cleaning things. You can also buy isopropyl alcohol and apply it to a cloth. As stupid as the gin sounds I have used neat vodka on a cloth in the past.

AKAK81 Wed 04-Sep-13 11:49:13

An easily available cutting compound would be something like t-cut. As for alcohol wipes they have quite a wide variety of uses - mainly for cleaning things. You can also buy isopropyl alcohol and apply it to a cloth. As stupid as the gin sounds I have used neat vodka on a cloth in the past.

CalamityGin Wed 04-Sep-13 12:17:13

lots of options there thanks AKA not brave enough to try any of them myself so will suggest to DH and report back if anything works in about 3 months time when he gets round to it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now