car impounded for no road tax

(8 Posts)
WMittens Sun 01-Sep-13 21:07:49

We were recently told that a dealership couldn't sell on the tax disc anymore so needed to get a new one.

There's nothing preventing them from selling a car with a tax disc, it just doesn't make much sense for them to do so if the car is going to be sitting on their forecourt for more than a couple of months.

ralice08 Sun 01-Sep-13 21:04:08

This seems very unfair and extreme. I had no idea I was even doing anything illegal.

LIZS Sun 01-Sep-13 20:38:04

They do have power to just take it now not clamp , and use number plate recognition to catch it.

ralice08 Sun 01-Sep-13 20:34:28

The dealership told me that car tax was fine. They had let me test drive the car with out extra plates or anything which must have invalidated their car insurance!
I had no idea the car wasn't taxed but the DVLA did - I would have expected some contact from the DVLA before they took the car. I had no warning at all. It wasn't even clamped, just taken.

LIZS Sun 01-Sep-13 20:23:42

We were recently told that a dealership couldn't sell on the tax disc anymore so needed to get a new one. Not sure why you think they would have sent a reminder though.

ralice08 Sun 01-Sep-13 20:22:42

So did I. DVLA said it can be done but he didn't know under what circumstances!

NickNacks Sun 01-Sep-13 20:18:56

I had to send the actual disc back when I claimed a refund... No sure how they've done that!

ralice08 Sun 01-Sep-13 20:15:42

Has this happened to anyone else?

My car was taken off the street by the DVLA. They say I had no road tax. I had what I thought was a valid disc in the windscreen (until October 2013. I bought the car in January but someone had claimed a refund back on the tax before I bought it in January (from a reputably car dealership). The DVLA have never contacted to say the car wasn't taxed. I shocked that this can happen!!

Any advice??? My car is still impounded as the DVLA wheelclamping office is closed at the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now