car impounded for no road tax

(8 Posts)
ralice08 Sun 01-Sep-13 20:15:42

Has this happened to anyone else?

My car was taken off the street by the DVLA. They say I had no road tax. I had what I thought was a valid disc in the windscreen (until October 2013. I bought the car in January but someone had claimed a refund back on the tax before I bought it in January (from a reputably car dealership). The DVLA have never contacted to say the car wasn't taxed. I shocked that this can happen!!

Any advice??? My car is still impounded as the DVLA wheelclamping office is closed at the weekend.

NickNacks Sun 01-Sep-13 20:18:56

I had to send the actual disc back when I claimed a refund... No sure how they've done that!

ralice08 Sun 01-Sep-13 20:22:42

So did I. DVLA said it can be done but he didn't know under what circumstances!

LIZS Sun 01-Sep-13 20:23:42

We were recently told that a dealership couldn't sell on the tax disc anymore so needed to get a new one. Not sure why you think they would have sent a reminder though.

ralice08 Sun 01-Sep-13 20:34:28

The dealership told me that car tax was fine. They had let me test drive the car with out extra plates or anything which must have invalidated their car insurance!
I had no idea the car wasn't taxed but the DVLA did - I would have expected some contact from the DVLA before they took the car. I had no warning at all. It wasn't even clamped, just taken.

LIZS Sun 01-Sep-13 20:38:04

They do have power to just take it now not clamp , and use number plate recognition to catch it.

ralice08 Sun 01-Sep-13 21:04:08

This seems very unfair and extreme. I had no idea I was even doing anything illegal.

WMittens Sun 01-Sep-13 21:07:49

We were recently told that a dealership couldn't sell on the tax disc anymore so needed to get a new one.

There's nothing preventing them from selling a car with a tax disc, it just doesn't make much sense for them to do so if the car is going to be sitting on their forecourt for more than a couple of months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now