Four children under five... Best car options?

(10 Posts)
4underFive Tue 27-Aug-13 16:51:19

Hi

We have two boys aged two and four, and just found out we're expecting twins (!)...(Had hoped to stop at 3, but that's another story).

We're going to have to trade in the Skoda Octavia. Any thoughts on the best MPVs/SUVs to get? We'll obviously need six seats if we're all driving around together, but would hope to have a bit of space for luggage/buggy on long journeys (any extra thoughts on roof boxes?). Budget would be around £15k, so I guess we'd need a used car.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

mikkii Wed 28-Aug-13 01:52:04

I have 3DC and have a Citroen grand picasso, this is fine for us, but any of the 7 sweaters li this really struggle for boot space with he extra seats up. For example, if I have all 7 seats up, I can fit my M&P frankie in and a couple of small bags, but certainly no double buggies

kiwik Wed 28-Aug-13 03:28:29

I've currently got a BMW X5, with 3 DS. However with two more due I don't think it's going to be spacious enough, especially as they are all still in seats. When collecting other children for playdates it's doable, but not for long journeys where I would also need to accommodate a double pushchair etc.
Think I'm going to have to buy a bus of some description!

Dillydollydaydream Wed 28-Aug-13 03:51:44

We have 4dc and have hot a vw touran. We can just fit a quinny zapp in the boot with all seats up. We are looking to upsize but have no idea what to yet as all of the supposed mpvs have a pretty skimpy boot with the rest row of seats up. My dc are 10, 7, 4 & 3m so only 2 are in car seats, the big ones have a high back booster & booster.

We're considering the Volvo xc90, ford galaxy or vw sharan/seat Alhambra which are bit essentially the same.
Something with sliding doors might help getting younger dc in and out?

Dillydollydaydream Wed 28-Aug-13 03:52:43

Sorry for the typos blush early morning feeds!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 28-Aug-13 04:08:26

We have a ford galaxy, we have 3 ds' but I'm also a childminder so usually have a car full but I can still get my double buggy in the boot with all seats up (I have a baby jogger city select pushchair). We looked to replace it but decided just to keep it as not many compare space wise, if we could afford to I may be convinced to trade for a vw caravelle/transporter but the galaxy is fine for now.

StupidFlanders Wed 28-Aug-13 05:57:14

My dh and I wouldn't buy a van so went for an 8 seater Toyota Prado diesel.

At that young age I'd actually take car seats along when you're testing cars because they aren't designed to have 4 car seats. You'll have to see if you can stretch over and lift dcs in and out and strap them in.

Also if you use all of the rows of seating you will have barely any storage so you'll need to buy food online and have delivered.

We have also bought a "hitch mate" which attaches to the back to hold stuff if we go away but somehow we've managed to pack stuff like its tetris!

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Wed 28-Aug-13 10:39:34

4underFive, Make sure you check out Mumsnet Cars' own recommendations for the 10 best seven-seaters. They're all cars that are currently in production (ie. new) but you can find used examples of any of them, which will bring down their prices significantly.

Fiat multipla. You can leave all the seats up because the boot's separate. I have 3 DC's and when they were a bit younger & all in car seats, I could get a fortnights holiday luggage & a double pushchair in the boot without any bother or having to move any of their seats! They are so spacious. I could get my hands in between the car seats to buckle them without having to move them. Saved my back!

Nonotthatagain Wed 28-Aug-13 10:56:06

I agree Fiat Multipla I'm on my 2nd now and even with 4 teens we can get all holiday luggage in boot and still have loads of leg room!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now