If you own a VW Golf read this

(9 Posts)

Is that what that thing is for??? We've had to change the tire on DH's beloved Golf a couple of times and never figured out what that was for. Thank you!

AKAK81 Sat 17-Aug-13 17:38:43

Most cars have been like this for the last 15 years or so

Snorbs Fri 16-Aug-13 12:12:52

If the hooks are built in to the chassis but then get damaged in use repairing them will be difficult and expensive. Having them permanently in position will also (very slightly) affect the aerodynamics and (not quite so slightly) affect the styling.

WMittens Fri 16-Aug-13 11:39:31

Surely it's a stronger connection point and easier to have two hooks built in as part of the chassis.....?

Possibly, but the bolt will be more than capable of handling the load - I can't find the steel grade the bolt is made of, but assuming it's an 8.8 grade bolt then it should be able to lift (not just tow, lift off the ground) over 14 tonnes before it breaks.

I'm guessing the main concern is styling - the bodywork either needs to be styled with a hole to the towing point, or have a large removable panel. With the bolt, there only needs to be a small panel that is fairly inconspicuous.

peggyundercrackers Fri 16-Aug-13 11:35:29

you should have rtfm smile

nearly all cars are like this.

Damnautocorrect Fri 16-Aug-13 11:15:19

Some audis are the same

Zara1984 Fri 16-Aug-13 10:49:27

It's bizarre WMittens! Surely it's a stronger connection point and easier to have two hooks built in as part of the chassis.....? Sigh.

WMittens Fri 16-Aug-13 10:21:59

I think a lot of cars are the same - I didn't realise this when I was trying to help some people stuck in the snow last winter and like you, ended up crawling round on the floor peering under the cars for ages.

Zara1984 Fri 16-Aug-13 09:58:45

Right. So perhaps you need to tow your Golf to the mechanic because it has broken down. When you go to hook up a tow rope to another car, you will see that there are not tow hooks attached to the front chassis of the Golf, underneath the bumper.

You need to attach a the tow hook by screwing it in. The tow hook lives with the spare tyre. It is a big eye hook with threading on the end. Pull off the air vent from the driver's side (ie below the headlight) and you will see the hole for screwing the hook into

This was not obvious to myself and DH and took 30 minutes of crawling around on the ground and furiously looking only. Stupid fucking Golf.

It also therefore meant that our early-morning tow to the mechanic became a rush hour tow to the mechanic. angry angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now