What is the safest large family car?

(8 Posts)
Sahmof3 Sat 10-Aug-13 09:45:26

Does anyone know what is the safest family car? I will probably need to buy a car soon and need something with a very large boot. I've got 3 kids and would prefer a 7 seater, but the safety aspect is the most important thing. Thanks.

cathpip Sat 10-Aug-13 09:55:10

I'm sure there are lots, have you checked which car? I clearly would recommend a discovery, I recently had a minor prang in mine going 15mph (into the back of dh's car) I wrote his mercedes off, mine had scratch work damage only.....

OverTheFieldsAndFarAway Sat 10-Aug-13 09:58:20

I agree with cath, although if your feeling flush I would recommend a Range Rover.

Skoda Superb is a flipping barge and has won lots of awards. And I'm very fond of ours.

WMittens Sat 10-Aug-13 11:15:02

The one you don't crash...

EuroNCAP gives you a yardstick to compare different cars.

WMittens Sat 10-Aug-13 11:18:32

I recently had a minor prang in mine going 15mph (into the back of dh's car) I wrote his mercedes off, mine had scratch work damage only.....

That's as much down to the angle of the crash and points of impact. Frontal impact zones often have greater reinforcement (or replaceable crumple zones) compared to the rear; if part of the monocoque chassis is bent, the insurer's assessor/engineer will write it off. It may still be perfectly safe (mostly) and driveable even after being written off.

A car is written off due to economics of repair - an £800 Mercedes will be written off by a significant scratch, if it costs £801 to paint it (or much less if there are transport or storage costs, etc. to add on to the bill).

littlemisswise Sat 10-Aug-13 11:20:59

My Renault Scenic has a 5* NCAP rating.

Weil Mon 12-Aug-13 15:23:32

What sort of budget would you like to stick within?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now