what does ths guy mean???

(18 Posts)
Weil Mon 12-Aug-13 15:59:43

www.mycarcheck.co.uk

£9.95 to include a finance check
£2.95 for a non finance check

mum23girlys Mon 12-Aug-13 15:55:00

I think he mistaking service history for mot. Unfortunately once a car gets to a certain age and value it isn't really worth the expense to the seller to keep the service history up to date with a main dealership. You can be lucky sometimes though. We bought a vectra 2 years ago for £1k and it's been a great car. Biggest expense was a new exhaust last winter.

You can do an hpi check online. Should cost about £4. That will make sure it hasno outstanding debt or loans on the car and will also tell you if it's previously been written off. Well worth the money as twice we've walked away from private sales as they've shown up hpi.

Think he's just asking where you are so he knows if you are local to come view the car.

lljkk Mon 12-Aug-13 15:37:05

Seller doesn't understand difference between service history & MOT, that's what he's saying.

What's the procedure for checking if a car doesn't have a debt lien on it or wasn't in an accident? I know AA will do that as part of their checks, too.

I think I would shop elsewhere, OP.

Weil Mon 12-Aug-13 15:35:04

He will be referring to checking the MOT history online.
To be honest Micras are a very hardy little car and can take alot of abuse before things could go wrong.
The advantage is that when/if they do have an issues they are fairly inexpensive to rectify.

WMittens Tue 06-Aug-13 21:03:16

A £500 Nissan micra will be a nail.

It may not be a complete nail, but you'd need to be damn sure of the condition when you viewed it (by that I mean the oily bits). No service history is not the end of the world, but if you're not mechanically minded I would suggest you walk away.

TheFallenNinja Tue 06-Aug-13 10:49:25

A £500 Nissan micra will be a nail. Don't waste your money.

Dumpylump Tue 06-Aug-13 10:44:10

I very much doubt that you'll get a car for that price from a big dealer I'm afraid. They might take a car like that as a trade in, but anything under a certain value tends to get shipped off to auction or wherever. Garages want shiny new cars on their forecourts, giving them big profit margins.....not affordable wee old bangers!
Try a car auction, if there's one near enough to you. Or if not, when you find a car you're interested in, you can pay to have the AA come and check it out for you. It will add to your initial outlay, but could save you a fortune in the long run.

k2togm1 Tue 06-Aug-13 10:35:51

Ok so perhaps if I am not very knowledgeable buying directly isn't the best idea? Would it be better to go to a big dealer?

BinarySolo Tue 06-Aug-13 07:51:52

I think he means you can check the mot online. As others have said, a car of that value is very unlikely I have full service history. You should also check hpi to see if there is any outstanding finance or loans on the car as you'd effectively be buying those as well.

I agree that his replies are difficult to understand and actually made me think that English might not be their first language.

If you really feel uneasy then look elsewhere.

LilyBossom Tue 06-Aug-13 07:40:53

I wouldn't expect a car of £500 to have all service history tbh. And it wouldn't be online for you to check.

k2togm1 Mon 05-Aug-13 23:18:32

Do you mean the buyer as in me intheredcorner? I don't often feel utterly stupid, but right now I am blush. Has it got all the paperwork? shouldn't the service history be available too? all the guides on how to buy second hand stress that its very important. Would all work be added to the nissan database? how is this possible? I can't see all garages updating every thing they do to a car on to a central database, that would be far too good wouldn't it?
I am very confused.

PinkPepper Mon 05-Aug-13 23:17:23

He's saying you can come check it out if its convenient for you ie if you live nearby

LynetteScavo Mon 05-Aug-13 23:14:26

HIP

I'm told these are the cheapest

I think the seller just wanted to know if you were close by...not you exact house number and postcode.

k2togm1 Mon 05-Aug-13 23:10:12

Ok I may be a little harsh, but it was mainly that he keeps asking where I live. £500 is a lot of money to me.
What is hpi history?

A manufacturer/main Nissan dealer could check on their data base with the registration for you.

It sounds like the vehicle has all it's paperwork etc so maybe a communication error via text on the buyers behalf?

LynetteScavo Mon 05-Aug-13 23:06:49

What LilyBossom said really.

What make you think it's a scam, his us of U in a text? confused Or that he said "no history".

This is a £500 car......

LilyBossom Mon 05-Aug-13 23:02:05

I guess he is saying you can check hpi history - you can't check service history online.

k2togm1 Mon 05-Aug-13 23:00:27

Replied to an ad in gumtree for a nissan micra for £500, asked if the guy had the service history, his reply:
'no history with car u can chack online'
I don't like the spelling mistake and no excuse to write u with predictive texts, but that's me, so I reply:
'sorry I'm new to this, how do I do that?'
He: Hi, U want Nissan micra car
Me: I was interested, you said I could check the service history online, which I've never heard was possible, so asked how you do that.
He: Where u r living ? if u leave nearly can u check the car and. Mot . Mot number and log book register number . then check history .
Me: sorry I don't understand.
He: Where u living .

So what is he on about? obvious scam or am I being prejudiced? I dont see how a service history can be online, am I wrong?

Thanks if you got this far!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now