Another 3rd child car thread- Volvo xc90 or VW Sharan WWYD

(17 Posts)

I think I'm too late, but just in case, as our third child grew and his sisters begin to become adolescent sized, we were finding our beloved X3 a bit of a squeeze across the back.

The Sharran met all all criteria, we test drove it and were very surprised, it handles so well, for practically a minibus! It was the new car that I didn't really want to have to have, but have fallen for it big time since owning one. The sliding doors are so useful, it practically parks itself (check out YouTube) and we've heaps of room for family and luggage.

I was so hesitant when we ordered it but it honestly does everything a family car needs.

matilda101 Mon 05-Aug-13 18:08:37

You made the right decision I love my xc90 and the 'booster' seat in the middle is really handy. You still have quite a big boot even when all of the seats are up.

seacloud Mon 05-Aug-13 18:02:40

AkexMumsnetCars I did reply to you but it has not appeared how bizarre.

Basically the middle seat in the second row is a booster seat in the volvo and it comes forward so my DS could go in that and have DD next to him in her huge car seat and the baby can go on the other seat.

Or both the older ones in their big seats either side, pull the middle seat forward and then use the seat belt to strap the infant in and then no poking fingers- does that make sense

seacloud Mon 05-Aug-13 17:59:28

Nadalsballs what did you decide- I also loved the fact that the central locking was driver controlled on the merc my son kept flicking them on his door as we were getting out and then on the motorway opened the door-aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh heart attack waiting to happen

Nadalsballs Sun 04-Aug-13 22:24:40

We've just been deciding the same thing and have also gone for the Volvo. We currently have an old style Sharan and like it but there really isn't anything remotely sexy about it, I might as well have a bus.

The new Sharan looked nice and we loved the sliding doors too, especially with the button, but have just found a good deal on a nearly new xc90 and it has massaging seats!!!

Anyway, it was hard to decide and we haven't found anyone comparing the two of them so it's interesting that you are too.

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Fri 02-Aug-13 11:59:58

Seacloud, did you manage to try out your children's Group 1 child seats in the Volvo, with the baby seat in the middle? Did it fit - or did you put one of the children's seat in the very back?

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Fri 02-Aug-13 11:59:47

Seacloud, did you manage to try out your children's Group 1 child seats in the Volvo, with the baby seat in the middle? Did it fit - or did you put one of the children's seat in the very back?

seacloud Thu 01-Aug-13 14:13:00

Bogeyface you made me laugh the prospect of having more children oh deary abstinence I think

Nicknamegrief I really liked smax too and so did DH but we are getting a better xchange with volvo so hence why we're deciding on this one

Thank you all so much x x x x

seacloud Thu 01-Aug-13 14:07:33

hello sorry been a bit slow in replying.
Hi guys basically we have to change the merc as the seats are tapered so with the 2 car seats in you can't fit anything in between them. My son is 4 and a half but is below the weight for a booster and is still in the 5 point harness and DD who is 2 because of her weight is in the same style of car seat.
As we drive long distance to see family DS sleeps alot and needs the support of a reclining car seat.

Had a funny day a few weeks back and asked friends and neighbours with children to dry different car seats etc and even spoke to mercedes and its because its the sports version you loose much of the 3rd seat in the back-- DOH.

We stopped at 2 children and this was the car for life if you see what I mean but this is an IUD pregnancy - so eh yeah need another car.

However we went for the test drive and I was amazed at the space in both but have decided we will go for the Volvo only because on top of all of that we have higher ground clearance etc and drive around to see family in Dorset and Devon and Manchester so feel it will give us the longevity, although LOVED THE SLIDING DOORS with the Sharan

Thank you for all your replies and help really appreciate it x

oh dear this is long sorry

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Thu 01-Aug-13 11:33:51

How old are your children at the moment, seacloud - ie, what group of child seats are you hoping to fit in along with the baby seat?

Bogeyface Thu 01-Aug-13 00:32:32

Ignore me again, apparently I was right first time grin

I agree with MissSmiley that there are a lot of estates that can fit 3 car seats if you are not planning more children. HAve you checked whether you could fit a baby seat and 2 high back boosters in your Merc, you might be surprised.

Out of your options I would pick the Sharan for value and practicality but I bet the XC90 is a whole lot better to drive.

We had the smax for 3 children though. Much more like a car to drive. Great value in terms of MPG, servicing and parts. Not as 'flash' though but our decision was made with our budget in mind.

We probably would have got an XC90 if we had no budget constraints.

MissSmiley Thu 01-Aug-13 00:28:40

XC90 hands down. I'm on my second one and I love it. It fits five kids in including 4 car seats and still room for luggage. Had a Volvo v70 before which was better for fuel economy but wouldn't fit 4 kids in. I would consider sticking with estate for three kids there are lots that can fit three car seats.

Bogeyface Thu 01-Aug-13 00:20:58

You know what? Just googled and ignore me!

The XC90 came in the bottom 5 of Which tests!

Have you considered the Touran or the C Max? Does the job better and costs less.

foolserrand Thu 01-Aug-13 00:20:33

Our decision was between the xc90 and the seat Alhambra. The seat is a fantastic family car and has loads of space, but there wasn't any oomf or real pleasure while driving it. The xc90 was just the whole package. Top of my list. Lovely to drive.smile

Bogeyface Thu 01-Aug-13 00:14:54

VW Sharan was notoriously unreliable (was basically the same car as the Ford Galaxy), not sure if it still is but I didnt consider it when I was looking for a 7 seater because of that. The XC90 was top of my list after researching but because their resale value is very good I couldnt afford one sad

seacloud Wed 31-Jul-13 19:14:12

Hi guys am a few weeks away from due date with £3d and DH has suddenly realised we need a bigger car lol. The estate is going and we have a test drive booked for a VW Sharan and a volvo xc90. There is no price difference in the 2 cars we have our eye on.

Would like mns wise opinions- have read various threads etc and these are our 2 choices, but would just like to know what you think?

We're moving from a merc estate so he's notably miserable and sullen at the very idea heaven forbid whereas I am happy at the prospect of not damaging my back climbing down into the merc but having a higher seating position etc. if that makes sense-
Thank u in advance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now