Which cars fit 3 baby seats?

(18 Posts)
sleepywombat Fri 26-Jul-13 10:54:34

Really don't want a 4WD, people carrier or gas guzzler. Preferably something 4 cylinder?

Is it possible?

Will have 3 under 4 in January, but the almost 4 yo is nowhere near a booster, sadly (very small for his age). I know somebody was saying most cars will fit 3, as long as you get thin seats!

tumbletumble Fri 26-Jul-13 10:57:38

I had 3 under 4 and love my Ford S Max. It's not a 4WD and I don't think it's a people carrier (unless I've got the definition of people carrier wrong!).

WMittens Fri 26-Jul-13 21:27:28

S-Max would fall in the people carrier category.

A four cylinder engine doesn't really say much, the majority of cars on the road will be four cylinder. It doesn't dictate whether it will be frugal or not, either. I have a four cylinder car that can drop under 20mpg average if driven with any sort of conviction (nearer 15 if really pressing on).

Excluding 4x4s and people carriers pretty much removes every car that would be suitable. My usual suggestion would be a Fiat Multipla - I can't think of much else if you're excluding people carriers.

Queenmarigold Fri 26-Jul-13 21:31:59

I can just about get 3 in my (ancient ) 5 series estate. Two maxi cosis and a booster. It's a struggle though.

costumething Fri 26-Jul-13 23:16:25

Honda FRV or Renault scenic. Not FWD or really people carriers.

Jomole Fri 26-Jul-13 23:23:41

Citreon picasso

Aldwick Fri 26-Jul-13 23:25:27

Britax Adventure are the best high back boosters when you're trying to squash 3 across because they have no 'arms'. I have two of those and a Britax duo fix across the back of a vauxhall zafira. Not sure if other vauxhalls are similar sized.

WMittens Sat 27-Jul-13 12:47:30

Honda FRV or Renault scenic. Not FWD

FWD means front wheel drive, which FRV and Scenic both are; 4WD means four wheel drive.

We have a maxi cosi cabrio and two high backed boosters in our Dacia Sandero. And for the size of the car the boot is cavernous.

We used to have a Multipla that was spacious for passengers but pathetically small boot.

You'd probably get three seats across the van with windows type cars like a doblo or kangoo or similar but I can't vouch for that as we only had two kids then.

When I was pg with DC3 we went to several dealerships for 'test drives' where all we did was put var seats in and out of the cars and try to fit my wheelchair in the boot and imagine shopping bags.

sleepywombat Sun 28-Jul-13 05:36:13

Thanks All!

Will check those out. Unfortunately in Australia so have no idea what a Dacia Sandero & others are! Would love a Citroen Picasso, but unless we can find a good second hand deal probably not possible, as they're around $40k new (European cars v pricey here).

So far, I think Ford Mondeo or Toyota Camry (Avensis in UK) might fit the bill.

Really don't want anything big & will be researching re fuel economy, as strapped for cash to put it mildly. Ah for the old days when us kids all fought over who would go in the boot of the Fiesta!

SneakyBiscuitEater (could easily have been my username), great advice! Will be doing the same!

Babybeesmama Sun 28-Jul-13 06:31:19

Peugeot 308 station wagon - they have 3 full seats in back & you can get them with a cool glass roof grin

notfarmingatthemo Sun 28-Jul-13 06:49:12

Tricky if you are in oz as your child seats are wider than one in the uk. Only thing you can do is take you seats and try it in cars. It is always going to be a squash. May be harder when one is in a booster as you will need to get you hand in all the time to strap the child in.

I can get three across in my Holden Astra, but you want someone with small hands to install the middle one because it's a very tight fit.

WMittens Sun 28-Jul-13 10:19:48

but you want someone with small hands to install the middle one because it's a very tight fit.

I'll admit I'm not experienced in the logistics of installing car seats, but doesn't a middle seat get put in first?

TeaandCake Sun 28-Jul-13 10:39:28

We have 3 DC in car seats and bought a 6 year old Honda FRV. It's been brilliant!

No compromise on car seat choice, easy to buckle all kids in, everyone fits in with a seat to spare.

Usual top notch Honda build quality and lovely to drive. Can't fault it.

Ours is 2l petrol and MPG about the same as our ancient Volvo estate which it replaced.

We have a ford Mondeo and I am a childminder. You definitely can't fit three seats across the back in it. It is wide enough but because the seats are shaped and higher at each side there isn't enough room to have them all sitting flat and then be able to access the seat belts.
We bought a galaxy which is fab but I also know the c and s max fit 3 seats across so try those maybe?

littlemisswise Sun 28-Jul-13 10:58:47

If you can get an old style Citroen Xsara Picasso, they do. We had a 1.6hdi and it was brilliant on fuel efficiency.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now