VW Touran VS Smax?

(24 Posts)
AKAK81 Sun 22-Dec-13 16:46:30

It's worth noting that most modern diesels with DPFs are unsuitable for the type of driving you are doing.

Zedboy Sun 22-Dec-13 12:03:17

Totally understand what you say about XC running costs....I've just come out of a D5 XC60 into a 330 BMW and am saving a fortune, but you will loose so much more selling the Volvo than what you save on fuel.

Mind you if it's cash flow, S Max is much better car, but VW will serve you best if you plan on keeping it more than 3 years.

Personally I'd keep the Volvo and run it into the ground, tho lots of people get monster MOT bills when they hit 7-8 years. Can't you cycle/walk more locally. Better for you, kids and environment plus doesn't take much to save lots of pennies. Fun too! Fingers crossed for you.

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Wed 06-Nov-13 15:22:32

Hi Workingonitagain. Assuming you're looking at used cars, you really ought to take a look at our recommendations for the best cars under 10K for fitting three child seats in a row. Let us know what you go for in the end, won't you?

goingmadinthecountry Tue 05-Nov-13 21:50:37

After XC90 you'll hate the S Max. Can't wait to get rid of mine. It replaced my beloved Grand Voyager which was hugely expensive to run. My main gripe is visibility - I'm tall and visibility moving on to roundabouts is v v poor. Also see no need for the naff pull up handbrake. It's just not such a nice car as the Volvo (liked it but not really big enough for our children in the back. Also ££.

Would give anything to go back to my 02 Chrysler from my 11 Ford. I will never buy another Ford.

cottoncandy Tue 01-Oct-13 10:55:22

A friend of mine has 3 kids close in age and needs 3 car seats across the back - she has just bought an S-Max and is really pleased with it.
There are not many cars which can get 3 car seats across the back. She previously had a Touran but wouldn't have another one. The Discovery is very expensive to run. Otherwise you have to upsize to the Galaxy or Sharan.

mirandabee Tue 01-Oct-13 10:49:12

Working: Did you get the s max in the end? I am currently in the same position, I have a volvo xc90, but it's costing so much in fuel.

workingonitagain Sat 13-Jul-13 16:02:03

just been to testdrive a 2l titanium s max and i loved it. it didn't seem like driving a people carrier and felt like driving a car it feels great after sitting in the high xc90. i need to compare the 2 size wise but have a feeling after looking around what i can get for my volvo that s-max would probably be what i can afford...

hotair Fri 12-Jul-13 19:59:17

I love my touran- it's brilliant!

lagoonhaze Tue 09-Jul-13 22:27:55

I came on to suggest the fiat multipa too.

WantToFindWorkLifeBalance Tue 09-Jul-13 22:27:52

Have an S-Max with 3 kids in full size car seats - love it. Lots of space, economical and (so far) v reliable!

sara11272 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:23:31

We, not web!

sara11272 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:23:18

Web have a Touran and before that had an Smax. They both definitely fit three seats in the back ,but the Smax is noticeably bigger - it's more of a faff to do all the seats belts up in the Touran as the seats are closer together, which makes me grumpy.

But the Touran does seem better built and more solid feeling - I think we didn't have a v good Smax though, just unlucky, as generally they're meant to b v good.

workingonitagain Tue 09-Jul-13 22:17:30

yes im 100% these will fit 3 proper seats in there, im leaning more towards smax like the look better and it seems that fuel consumption is a lot better then on my xc90. i can probably get 40 mpg out my xc90 on the motorway too but i hardly ever go there. all i do is around town... i 'd like to think that i can get a bit more out of the smax...

Totally un technical

I have size 5 feet. I can't reach the clutch on the VW Touean. Stupid male car designers ! I can on my smax ( get the fish eye child rear view mirror, tis great!)

WMittens Tue 09-Jul-13 22:08:31

Have you researched hatchbacks and are absolutely sure none of them will take 3 car seats across the back? In the same vein, are you sure the Touran and S-Max will take 3 seats? From what I've read on here, not all people carriers are capable of that (I think the Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy might do it - I can never remember, and don't know how much space the different type of car seats take up).

A people carrier is going to be (mostly) a brick on wheels, so you won't see much improvement in MPG and no saving. I had the misfortune of driving a diesel S-Max and managed 42mpg where my normal diesel (with the same driving manner) would have returned 52-55mpg (95% motorway).

You could try a Fiat Multipla - ugly as sin but some people like them, but 6 seats in two rows.

workingonitagain Tue 09-Jul-13 21:38:20

thanks for that WMittens but that's exactly my problem I can't for a "focus or something similar" I need to have 3 full sized seats as they will all have to be in car seats and to have that and to have enough boot space for me to fit a pushchair and 2 bikes will have to a be a people carrier.
thanks Nicknamegrief it's good to know im trying to do some comparing on autotrader and I am a bit confused they are coming up with huge consumption differences between smax petrol (34mpg) vs diesel (49mpg) I know it's combined but still. maybe autotrader isn't the best place to go to compare consumption hmm

WMittens Tue 09-Jul-13 20:38:34

The 1.6 diesel replaced it which is cheaper to tax due to it's smaller engine

It's cheaper due to lower emissions, not engine size.

The 1.6 is rated at two different power outputs in the range (same as the 1.9 before it): 90hp and 105hp.

The old 1.9 PD is a well thought of, reliable engine. I'm not so sure about the more recent diesel engines, but I have a feeling they're more trouble.

We had an smax 1.8 diesel, used to get about 45mpg around town and 50mpg on long journeys.

It has (in my opinion) lots more room that the touran and is better for double buggies/kids. They seem to hold their value well and we had a low mileage 5 year old titanium.

We had it for 18months with no expenses bar servicing (we only got rid of it due to child number four).

WMittens Tue 09-Jul-13 20:32:15

The difference between 28mpg and 35mpg at £1.42/l is about 5p/mile, or £500 a year if you do 10K miles per year.

I think you're more likely to lose more in depreciation by changing unless you drop to a significantly lower model.

Also, if you're only doing playgroup and shopping runs and we're talking local mileage, why the hell have you got a diesel? You'll probably be doing more damage on short runs.

I would recommend something like a 1.6 petrol Focus (or similar subject to enough space for car seats) - it's cheaper than diesel and you'd probably still see over 28mpg, less likely to go wrong running short journeys, and there's probably recent enough cars with an economical engine under your budget (hopefully giving some cash back in your pocket).

workingonitagain Tue 09-Jul-13 18:18:01

thanks for that rob i guess i just can not come to terms with spending the amount i spend on fuel but it looks like i wouldn't be saving that much based on what you do on yours !? i keep thinking that must be a car out there where i could make considerable savings on fuel but it might be that i would have to let go my demands for a 7 seater (hence big boot space) and having 3 proper seats nxt to each other hmm

rob99 Tue 09-Jul-13 18:02:38

I've got a 10 plate VW Touran 1.9 TDI that we've had from new and it's been really good. Fuel I'm guessing is about 35MPG around town.

One thing I'll add is that VW don't do the 1.9 TDI anymore, the 10 plate was the last one. The 1.6 diesel replaced it which is cheaper to tax due to it's smaller engine but it's performance is the same and the MPG is better so it is the better option if you can afford one.

The car itself is very practical, 7 seater, any combination of the all the rear seats can easily be taken out (we never have the rear 3rd row seats in at all to give us a very large boot.

I'd imagine you'll miss the xc90 compared to a Touran but if practicality, understated and reliable is all you're after, you wont go far wrong with a Touran.

workingonitagain Tue 09-Jul-13 17:40:22

i can't afford to spend £180 a month to go to playgroup and back and do my shopping locally. we clearly made a mistake 18'month ago choosing an xc90 diesel consumption is around 28mpg. i just feel its just a waste of money when i can spend less... hoping to get around £11000 and yes it will be a loss compared to what we spent but in the long term it will pay off if i can save on fuel!

WMittens Mon 08-Jul-13 21:54:26

Your budget is £11K - why can't you afford the XC90 again?

Once all is said and done, cost to change usually means a serious downgrade in order to come out ahead of the game. How much do you expect to get for the Volvo?

workingonitagain Mon 08-Jul-13 21:05:23

so those of you who has or had one of these cars can you tell me what your experience is. i will have 3 dc under 4 in a few month. currently have a Volvo xc90 and I love it but can't afford it. only need a car around town and need a big boot space that's about it from comparing them on autotrader consumption is roughly about the same...
budget is about £11K
Open to any other suggestions
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now