Irish mners! Question about national car test

(5 Posts)
Janek Mon 08-Jul-13 19:49:18

Hello, we are in the uk and we have dp's brother's irish car whose nct expires on wednesday. If an english mot expires, then the car is no longer insured (unless it is driving to a prebooked mot) and should be stored off-road i believe.

Is this also the case in ireland? All i can find when googling is that you could get points on your licence and a fine if you're taken to court. So is the car still insured or not? Any links to facts gratefully received also grin.

WMittens Mon 08-Jul-13 20:04:22

* If an english mot expires, then the car is no longer insured (unless it is driving to a prebooked mot) and should be stored off-road i believe.*

Not exactly, that depends on the exact policy wording - some say the car must be roadworthy, which is not the same as having an MOT.

Janek Mon 08-Jul-13 20:46:52

Oh really? I was sure an expired mot meant not insured. I'm gonna google...

jemstipp Mon 08-Jul-13 20:48:44

Check with insurance co but usually still insured

WMittens Mon 08-Jul-13 20:59:52

If you cause injury (or third party property damage, possibly) the insurer wouldn't be able to avoid the claim anyway, I think - they may well try to get the money back off you, but they have to pay out to an injured party (or something like that).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now