Am I Mad to Consider a KA with a Newborn

(13 Posts)
PhieEl06 Thu 04-Jul-13 14:12:40

That really, I need a cheapish car quite quickly & know someone selling a very good condition old shape KA (05 plate) but I'm due to give birth in 2 weeks, I already have a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix & easy fix base & a Babystyle Oyster Pram/Pushchair, which I plan on using the carrycot for at least a few months.

Is it mad to even consider this as a car?!

VelvetStrider Thu 04-Jul-13 14:15:58

It has quite a small boot. Will the pushchair fit?

InsanelyBrainDeprived Thu 04-Jul-13 14:16:27

Could you fit everything inc a weeks shop in the boot?

themonsteratemyspacebar Thu 04-Jul-13 14:20:02

I have a KA. I wouldnt think its a good idea with a baby. It does have a small boot. Plus for anyone to get in the back, the chairs dont come very far forward bent over if you know what i mean?
I can imagine it being a pain trying to get kids into a car seat as it would push into you constantly.
Can you go for a look and take the pram or larger items with you to see if they fit?

mrsyattering Thu 04-Jul-13 14:36:27

yes mad don't do it, both my sister and a friend had Ka's when their dcs were born. Boot big enough for large shopping bag and nothing else. Sister had to have her buggy in the back seat until she traded it in. Also had to get baby in and out of the back if you have a 3 door. Both got rid pretty quickly

PhieEl06 Thu 04-Jul-13 14:43:06

We are going tonight to have a look at it & taking pram, car seat & base, just wondering whether I should waste my time really.

WMittens Thu 04-Jul-13 20:35:33

I imagine getting a baby into the back is a pain with most small 3-door cars, that would be my biggest concern.

In terms of getting a weekly shop into the car, the boot isn't the only available space - with the baby in a car seat taking up one seat, there are still two other seats and three footwells available - you could get at least two carrier bags in the front passenger footwell, possibly three, and at least two others in the rear footwells; that's seven bags in total, excluding the boot.

Haylebop12 Thu 04-Jul-13 20:38:21

I'd avoid if I were you. I had a ka when I had dd, very awkward getting her in and out. Boot was actually not too bad. I changed it when she was 10 months old.

Much better to go for 5 door IMO. Fiesta or corsa?

Suttyshotty Thu 04-Jul-13 20:39:05

I had to get rid of mine when I had Ds because I couldn't get even a tiny pushchair in the boot

PhieEl06 Thu 04-Jul-13 22:07:27

I didn't even bother going to look, when I realised that I can't even get the pram frame & carrycot in the boot of my 2004 Nissan Micra, thanks for all your comments. Ahhh back to car searching.

WMittens Fri 05-Jul-13 12:49:46

I don't know much about pram frames; once folded, do they fit across the footwells of the rear seats?

I'm not sure why there is an obsession that cargo only goes in the boot - think outside the box boot!

I wouldnt be happy with an unsecured pram frame in the back of a car with a child. Thats the reason it should go in the boot.

Satnightdropout Fri 05-Jul-13 12:56:02

I had a Fiat cinquecento when my son was first born. Because I had a car seat pushchair, the frame for in the boot perfectly. However, shopping had to be squeezed in or put on the back chairs. Got a clio now, 3 door, and expecting another baby this month and know it's going to be a nightmare, lol, but hey Ho. My double fits in the boot really well so that's one thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now