What's making my Citroen judder?

(20 Posts)
MolotovCocktail Wed 26-Jun-13 15:15:59

I have a '12 plate Citroen C4 Picasso, and I've had it from new.

I've had no problems until this. For the last week or so, it has felt like its juddering when I drive over 40mph/go into 5th then 6th gear.

I've had the tyres checked; had one pumped up on Monday, so all fine now. It got better since then, now it's juddering again today.

I can't make out whether its the speed, gear change, or when I accelerate.

If anyone might have any idea, I'd appreciate it!

When they checked the tyres, did they check the wheel balance?

The other likely culprit is shock absorbers.

MolotovCocktail Wed 26-Jun-13 20:57:05

Thanks for your reply. Yes, they checked and adjusted the balance.

With regard to shock absorbers, do I need to alter my driving in any way until I get it seen at a garage? The car feels really odd to drive over 45mph at the moment.

Blamenargles Wed 26-Jun-13 21:02:33

In what way is it juddering, is it engine juddering or like shocker or wheel shaking?

If engine wise when did you last check oil and water.

ProphetOfDoom Wed 26-Jun-13 21:05:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LifeofPo Wed 26-Jun-13 21:06:30

LifeofPo Wed 26-Jun-13 21:07:39

MolotovCocktail Wed 26-Jun-13 21:20:28

Blam, it kind of feels like a clutch judder: not as shocking or violent as a clutch judder, but akin to it (my foot is not on or coming off then clutch when the car is juddering). Its really weird and the car doesn't feel like its going as it should. I'd go so far as to say its 'pulling' back; as if it's trying to slow itself down. I dare not go over 50mph.

It does it at high speed and eases off once I'm below 35mph.

MolotovCocktail Wed 26-Jun-13 21:21:03

Last checked oil and water this evening and all fine there.

ASmidgeofMidge Wed 26-Jun-13 21:21:46

Have you checked the oil?

ASmidgeofMidge Wed 26-Jun-13 21:22:02

X-post, sorry

MolotovCocktail Wed 26-Jun-13 21:24:46

I checked my service requirement and it isn't due until its 12k miles or 2yo. I've done around 6k.

I've got it booked into a garage for Tuesday but I'm a little worried as I drive my dd's, who are only 1 and 4yo. I'm going to stick to slow roads and drive as little as I can u tip the car is checked out.

Thanks all for your replies - I wish I was more mechanically minded!

GreatGooglyMoogly Wed 26-Jun-13 21:30:24

Is it one of those ones that's semi-automatic/ changes its own gears? If so it's probably the clutch as they seem to go quite often (every 2 years on ours).

Anifrangapani Wed 26-Jun-13 21:34:30

Does it feel as if it has hiccups or is it more like square wheels?

MolotovCocktail Wed 26-Jun-13 21:57:21

Its a fully manual diesel.

Not hiccups ... more like a tremble, or a shake when I drive over 45mph and in 5th then 6th gear.

WMittens Thu 27-Jun-13 22:58:32

I checked my service requirement and it isn't due until its 12k miles or 2yo. I've done around 6k.

As it's that new, straight to the garage (as you're doing) - if you're paying for a new car, make damn sure you use the warranty!

I can't make out whether its the speed, gear change, or when I accelerate.

Simple thing, test it - reach the point where it starts to judder and notice what's happening; if you're maintaining speed and it goes away, it's not that; if it only happens when you put your foot down it's when accelerating etc. etc.

I've had the tyres checked; had one pumped up on Monday, so all fine now. It got better since then, now it's juddering again today.

That would make me think it's something like wheel balance or wheel bearings, something that might be accentuated by wrongly-inflated tyres. However your other description:

I'd go so far as to say its 'pulling' back; as if it's trying to slow itself down. I dare not go over 50mph.

makes me think it's some sort of misfire, possibly poor fueling (could be fuel filter or high pressure fuel pump). I was going to say a dodgy spark, but as it's diesel it doesn't have spark plugs.

MolotovCocktail Fri 28-Jun-13 11:10:19

Thanks, WMittens smile

When it's driven over 45mph in 5th or 6th gear, it seems to judder anyway, and gets worse when I accelerate.

I have not driven it over 40mph since Wednesday ... Quite frustrating for me as I live near lots of lovely 60mph dual carriageways!

WMittens Fri 28-Jun-13 13:02:36

It could be misfiring on one cylinder (or running permanently on 3), which usually means it feels lumpy all the time, but struggles to accelerate and gets lumpier as you go faster. It is possible to check, but with modern cars you have to faff about removing engine covers - drive the car for a good while so it gets nice and hot, then stop and drop a drop of water on each exhaust pipe (as they come out of the cylinders, hence removing engine covers) - if they sizzle merrily then they are working, if not then it's not firing.

I would imagine something like that would show the engine management light on the dash, so still probably something to do with wheels.

AKAK81 Sun 07-Jul-13 22:41:17

Do you do many short journeys or any long ones? I'm thinking it could be a DPF problem. Any warning lights? For someone doing such a low annual mileage you should have bought a petrol, even more so if you do mainly short journeys as modern diesels are not suited to this kind of use.

AKAK81 Sun 07-Jul-13 22:43:57

Also you do realise that the NSL on a dual carriageway is 70 - unless all your local ones are 60 and signed as such?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now