Did you get used to or regret buying a car that initially felt too big?

(9 Posts)
zumo Thu 27-Jun-13 12:58:53

VW or Ford, that's easy
VW wins.
If you are really concerned ask the dealer if you can hire one for a day, they will possibly just lend it to you, go shopping or for a day out etc, that will help you decide.
We have a very old tatty Peugeot 406 estate its like driving a barge as its so long but it very handy as it holds all the crap we need, we also have a Bongo and a Bora and the bigger vehicles are no different to drive now.

sheeplikessleep Tue 25-Jun-13 11:17:10

Thanks all, appreciated.

Think about it this way: vans don't usually have rear windows. If your wing mirrors are good you shouldn't have a problem.

I'm your height and drive a Skoda Superb estate. I find it fine, and love having the capacity.

RobotBananas Tue 25-Jun-13 10:27:57

Touran
Height 1635 mm
Length 4407 mm
Wheelbase 2675 mm
Width 1794 mm

S-Max
Height 1610 mm
Length 4768 mm
Wheelbase 2850 mm
Width 1884 mm

Both 2010 models.

HTH smile

Drive a couple more Tourans before you make your decision- I love ours, it's great, but the first two I drove felt bouncy and crap. Ours is great though (just feels like a big Golf). We found we could get newer and lower mileage by getting a Touran too - we couldn't have got an S-max of the same spec for £10k.

Mines an 09 titanium and was <gulp> 13k. I haven't regretted it for a second, I absolutely love it.

sheeplikessleep Tue 25-Jun-13 10:17:29

Thanks both for posting.

The Smax is slightly longer, but the space difference isn't massive.

I think I need to go and drive another Touran. I love being a passenger in the Smax, but as the driver, I just can't work out if I'll get used to the size or if I will regret it.

We are looking at 08 models. They are still around the £10k for the Titanium models, so still such a lot of money to spend.

Oh I LOVE my Smax.

Next door have a Touran and it looks huge compared to mine, does it really have a smaller footprint?

I have front and rear parking sensors, which help. I can even parallel park it with ease, which was almost impossible in my old 7 seater (hyundai Trajet).

I'm 5'3, if that helps.

RobotBananas Tue 25-Jun-13 10:10:25

The Touran is much much easier to park,IMO - it does have a smaller footprint. Have you looked at the actual specs? Find them out and compare with your current car.

sheeplikessleep Tue 25-Jun-13 10:02:21

So we are looking at the SMaxs and Tourans, we are expecting DS3 in 7 weeks.

We prefer the shape of the Smaxs and that they look a bit more spacious.

However, I took one for a test drive and I'm a bit concerned the back window just felt so small and didn't feel like I had much visibility? DH says it is less important, as it has parking sensors.

I am only 5ft1 and drive a knackered old Mondeo at the moment. My head is saying Smax, but my heart is saying Touran, just because it feels a bit smaller.

I just wondered if anyone had any similar initial thoughts and then went on to buy, whether they did get used to it or not?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now