Golf or Polo?

(24 Posts)
Dorris44 Fri 21-Jun-13 11:50:45

Looking to change the family runaround. I have about £10,000 to spend (includes 8500 cash and the 1500 trade in)

I've always fancied a golf but the new polo looks quite similar and cheaper. Any views one way or the other?

It's got to last 10 years, good for ferrying the children around, but we're past the buggy stage now, so think more sports kit in the boot. Not really going to be used for holidays, maybe odd weekend away so not many long trips.

I feel the golf would be more robust and resale able if required but not sure i really "need" one

Any thoughts appreciated

Skoda. Same car, git the audi rings on some engine parts, all part of same company. But cheaper.

Panzee Fri 21-Jun-13 11:57:46

Don't know about need but I love my Golf. It's over ten years old and is brilliant. It's sturdy and nippy at the same time. My mums Polo feels a bit flimsier, dont know why, although there's nothing wrong with it. I've not driven a Skoda so can't comment on that idea. grin

mistlethrush Fri 21-Jun-13 12:01:25

We had a Polo - it was good and we managed to get a lot in it (self catering cottage holiday for a week with toddler and dog).

However, we've now switched to Skodas - we've had very good service and no reliability issues and resale price, even for older cars, remains good - you just don't have the initial high price associated with the VW marque.

In my case I got a skoda because I wanted an Audi, then a golf, golf but couldn't afford them!

Skoda are bringing out family car at end of year so thinking might upgrade my little car! I'm a convert! There are few frills though....!

I'm sorry. Loads of typos.....

drivinmecrazy Fri 21-Jun-13 12:10:32

I had the same situation six months ago, same budget and requirements. But found in our price range (also 10k) golfs we looked at were either really old or very low spec. Polos we couldn't find for love nor money. Both indications they are great 2nd cars. Eventually I settled for a focus titanium, though it took a long time to reconcile we couldn't get the spec with VW. Heart breaking cos the car I had previously was a passatt and i loved that with a passion.

Still regret 'settling' cos although it is a great car inside, leather interior & every gadget imaginable, I still hate its not a VW. We also looked at the Skodas. Good luck with your search, and stick to your guns, if you want a VW have a VW

AKAK81 Fri 21-Jun-13 14:33:27

If you want it to last 10 years buy something Japanese or Korean. Most of the VAG stuff is over priced, over hyped shite. A perfect example of marketing over substance.

Dorris44 Fri 21-Jun-13 14:34:42

Oh lots to think about thanks. I think I just want a golf because I was promised one when I was younger and didn't get it (long boring story). I don't know if that's a good enough reason. Think it's some sort of mid life crisis after always having whatever's in the local garage, rather than properly selecting a car . Hadn't considered skoda to be honest

PrincessOfChina Fri 21-Jun-13 14:36:40

We have a Seat Ibiza. Same make as VW and Skoda and Audi. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Housemum Fri 21-Jun-13 14:50:12

Love my Polo. Traded in the people carrier as now only 4 of us go on hols (eldest is 20), and husband's car fits bags/cases in the boot OK. Bought a diesel so have doubled my miles per gallon, and I do love the little toys - a DAB radio and an iPod/USB charger which can also hook up your iPod to the stereo! Feels well built, better than DH's company car (Toyota)

AKAK81 Fri 21-Jun-13 14:57:12

That's the thing - they're great at making things 'feel' quality when in actual fact they're not as well built. The Germans just don't build em as well as the Japanese (and I speak as a BMW owner)

Housemum Fri 21-Jun-13 19:31:34

Not convinced by all things Japanese - my Mitsubishi Grandis was thirsty but felt reasonably solid and drove well for a "bus", the Toyota Prius feels really "tinny"

WMittens Fri 21-Jun-13 20:14:44

AKAK is right, in the sense that there is an elevated perception around VAG products; personally I'd take a Focus over a Golf anyway, and had a Civic over both of them.

Having said that I do like the new Polo, it looks good and now similar in size to an earlier Golf (if a bit lardier). I'd love to try a Polo GTi, but worried it will have been dulled down like the rest of the mainstream VAG products.

landofsoapandglory Fri 21-Jun-13 20:21:59

We were in a similar position last year and went for the Polo 1.4tdi because we already have a Renault Scenic that we use for long journeys, family trips etc, and DH will usually be the only one in the Polo commuting to work. It is one of the very last ones of the old model.

I love it, I had Polos as a young driver and loved them. It is nippy and you get miles to the gallon, but TBH DH wishes we had gone for the Golf because he spends 2 hours in the Polo each day and says it is not as comfy as it could be, but then he is 6ft4". DS1(18) learnt to drive in it and is insured to drive it, he absolutely loves it too.

I wouldn't go for a Skoda, DBIL has one, it doesn't feel as nice as the VW. We test drove as Seat, my dad used to be a Seat main dealer, we weren't impressed by them either.

TheHuffAndPuffALot Fri 21-Jun-13 20:23:09

Another vote for a Skoda here. I've been driving one sort or another for 8 years or so and bloody love 'em.

Pre dd I worked at a VW dealership for a few years and the mechanics there always said Skodas were VWs with all the problems ironed out!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dorris44 Sat 22-Jun-13 17:45:09

Guess I need to find time to test drive the golf polo and seat iibeza which I see I can buy new for 10k through broad speed. Lots to think about. Thanks everyone

superbagpuss Sat 22-Jun-13 17:54:33

civic or jazz?
will last forever

plannedshock Sat 22-Jun-13 18:01:59

Golf, absolutely loved mine!!

superbagpuss Sat 22-Jun-13 18:10:29

mil has a basic polo
she hates driving and finds it suitable and not scary for her 3 mile a day, sunlight only trip

AKAK81 Mon 24-Jun-13 15:36:32

I or close family have owned of various ages ranging from brand new to be 20 years old:

13 BMWs
3 Mercs
3 VWs
2 Lexus
2 Toyotas
1 Hyundai
6 Hondas

This excludes any non German/Far Eastern. The difference in experience of faults is night and day. From reliability point of view the German stuff is rubbish. 2 BMWs with engines replaced less than two years old and one delivered brand new with a non working soft top. Huge number of warranty visits between them. Two Lexus and various Hondas only going near a garage for servicing. I enjoy driving German cars but the quality is a myth that they trade on.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AKAK81 Tue 25-Jun-13 10:25:27

Just to add some balance to the sheep saying buy VAG - they're fairly shit and hugely bland cars that through clever marketing have become aspirirational especially when finished white. The Korean stuff can also be fairly bland but at least they're well built. The OP wants to spend 10k on something that's got to be reliable for 10 years - a VAG product is not the answer. A Kia with a 7 year warranty would be a good place to start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now