How much should I look to negotiate off a 10k car at a dealer

(9 Posts)
michaelh Tue 04-Jun-13 20:57:38

It's a buyer's market, remember that. Spending £10k on a used car is a big investment in my book so if you like the car first get it valued - see above - then get it checked out by the AA/RAC and use the niggles they will find as leverage. If it's on at a dealer for £10k that means it probably cost them £7.5k-8.5k. Finance deals are ripoff, usually, unless, as has been said, you cancel them immediately. Don't be seduced by car mats. They are worthless.
All that said, If the car is sound, remember the dealer has to earn a living and has added value to the car by sourcing it and putting dealership's reputation on line by putting it up for sale. Offer £8,750 and see if he will move.

Wednesbury Tue 04-Jun-13 13:51:44

From recent experience, I found that if you are prepared to walk away, if you think you have made a fair offer, they may phone you back.

I did this last year when I made an offer on a car. I did honestly think I had made a fair offer but the dealer said they would not take an offer on it so I said thanks very much, I'll keep looking. I bought another car the next day and while I was out the dealer for the original car had phoned me back meeting me halfway. It was quite amusing though as he was clearly a one-man-band but said something about how he would 'talk to the boss on Monday and see what he said'. There was one office at the garage, one chair ... I guess he liked talking to himself.

I think I read somewhere that dealers aim to make about £1k on a car. I would imagine if they are charging £11k for a car they will have paid no more than £9k for it in part exchange or whatever. So I think £10k would be reasonable - look at some of the valuation guides though and remember mileage makes a huge difference. And make your first offer lower than the price you want to pay, if they won't counter-offer and say 'make me a better offer' don't go higher than the amount you want to pay and be prepared to walk away and see if they come back to you. They will be interested if they know you are definitely going to buy a car of that model.

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Tue 04-Jun-13 13:36:16

Longtallsally, you can always check what you should be paying for the car with Mumsnet Cars' Used Car Valuations, the data for which comes from What Car? You have to give over your contact details but can unsubscribe to mailings after that, and you'll get an almost instantaneous automatic response. This will give you an idea of just how much room there should be for negotiation over the price or added extras.

WMittens Mon 03-Jun-13 21:47:50

If you want to pay cash but can get a better deal through finance, take the finance, call the finance company up within 14 days and settle in full - cheaper deal, paid in full, no interest (arrangement fees may be there, but balance it against the deal).

jimbocooper Mon 03-Jun-13 16:44:26

Hi Sally,

I've got more experience on new cars, as I'm doing market research for it, but what I can tell you is that first of all, dealers make more money out of used cars than new cars.

That said, and regarding to your question, they are not likely to offer more than a 10% discount on it, but I'd still try and get it down to 15% approx. which would leave it around 9k.

Whatever the price was before you got to the showroom, you don't care, 10k is what you've seen, regardless whether if it was 11k before or not.

Also, as Toby said, if you are going for finance you are more likely to get them to reduce their margin.

Hope that helps!

Longtallsally Mon 03-Jun-13 08:55:40

Yes, cash - so mud flaps, mats for inside, 12 months tax, roof bars, tank full of petrol - any other extras worth asking for??

TobyLerone Mon 03-Jun-13 08:52:27

Are you paying cash? It seems you have less leverage if you pay cash, which is weird, but it's because they get more commission for flogging the finance services.

I bought an ex-demo car and only managed to get it down from £11,500 to £11,000, but I did get a few things thrown in with it.

Theselittlelightsofmine Mon 03-Jun-13 08:48:02

Yes and see what else you can get thrown in for free smile

Longtallsally Mon 03-Jun-13 08:39:47

Got my last car 10 years ago from a little indepenant garage, on market for £8,500 bought for £8000

This time am looking at spending c £10,000 but can only find what we want (Golf or Touran) at a VW dealer. My gut feeling is that they are probably charging a bit more so can probably come down from £11,000 to £10,000 Anyfeelings as to whether I am being realistic?

Thank youu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now